UConn fires Kevin Ollie / hires Danny Hurley | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

UConn fires Kevin Ollie / hires Danny Hurley

I think Coach Hurley can look forward to a very successful 25-year career at UCONN, highlighted by 4 National Championships. He won't make people forget Coach Calhoun, he'll remind them daily of the similarities between himself and Coach Calhoun. I believe this because I read this in the Boneyard.
This is incredible. You were being sarcastic with crazy hyperbole and it might become true. What a time we’re in.

If the right job comes, I’m guessing he jumps to the pros - if the Celtics don’t live up to expectations in the playoffs, he could replace Mazzula
He can’t play this way in the pros. You will never get pros to buy into his offense. It’s all iso in the pros.

He can’t play this way in the pros. You will never get pros to buy into his offense. It’s all iso in the pros.
Plus not eating on game days is a lot bigger sacrifice in the pros. 82 days! And what if they have a back to back? Wow I wouldn't want to have to go 2 days without eating.

Not sure digging up the dead and putting em on trial is apt. They were in the American when this post started that had a whole host of hurdles. Going home helped them a great deal.

That being said Hurley is an animal with 100% buy in. Credit to him.

Too bad Boeheim didn't retire when it made sense to do so. SU could have hired Hurley.
Even if he did, SU would never have gone outside the family. I really respect Calhoun for retiring when he did. A legendary coach retiring at the top and making a personal sacrifice for the betterment of the program is a breath of fresh air. Firing Ollie and that ugly litigation battle was pretty brave too, in retrospect.

Too bad Boeheim didn't retire when it made sense to do so. SU could have hired Hurley.
I'll go ahead and file this away alongside "Syracuse should've hired oats from buffalo" in the Doesn't make any sense cabinet.

If the right job comes, I’m guessing he jumps to the pros - if the Celtics don’t live up to expectations in the playoffs, he could replace Mazzula

I don't see his in-your-face coaching style working well with pros.
I could see him staying at UConn forever. Back to back championships is rare. He'll never be fired from that job.

Agreed. No way pros would be willing to play like Banshees for 48 mins over 82+ games.

You could also find several posts in the Boneyard of guys saying they wanted him gone after another early tourney exit in 2022. You could even find posts from UConn guys saying they would rather be in Syracuse's shoes at that time! Plenty of horribly aged takes on all sides.

Even if he did, SU would never have gone outside the family. I really respect Calhoun for retiring when he did. A legendary coach retiring at the top and making a personal sacrifice for the betterment of the program is a breath of fresh air. Firing Ollie and that ugly litigation battle was pretty brave too, in retrospect.
Didn’t Calhoun have serious health issues and even lost time coaching a few times before his retirement?

Syracuse would have never gone down this road. They need to follow the hire and fire process like 4 times and burn down the program before they actually think about spending money on a hire.

Not sure digging up the dead and putting em on trial is apt. They were in the American when this post started that had a whole host of hurdles. Going home helped them a great deal.

That being said Hurley is an animal with 100% buy in. Credit to him.
100%. I don't think it's fair to assume anyone would know they would destroy their football program on their own accord.

This is incredible. You were being sarcastic with crazy hyperbole and it might become true. What a time we’re in.
This is incredible thread necromancy.

Good work

Really can’t see his antics playing well in the Association. Grown men don’t need that.
I agree with that. I also wonder why any top notch college coach would want to coach in the NBA. 82 games? Way too long plus crazy travel. In college the coaches are the focal point. In the NBA they're mostly an afterthought. In many cases the college coaches make more money. Admittedly NIL and the transfer portal are a pain but others on your staff can help with that.

Really can’t see his antics playing well in the Association. Grown men don’t need that.

Of course it wouldn't. Just as it didn't for Pitino and Cal and why they sprinted back to the college game. The most significant role in the NBA is dealing and managing the egos of players, etc.

I agree with that. I also wonder why any top notch college coach would want to coach in the NBA. 82 games? Way too long plus crazy travel. In college the coaches are the focal point. In the NBA they're mostly an afterthought. In many cases the college coaches make more money. Admittedly NIL and the transfer portal are a pain but others on your staff can help with that.
Point taken on Hurley's antics not being accepted at the next level. But I do think the NBA is more attractive. yes, there are more games, but the money is better (in general) and you can focus on basketball. Don't have to worry about recruiting, compliance etc. Even if you have a staff for that, you still have to be fairly involved.

A lot of college coaches hate recruiting and having to kiss HS kids' and their handlers' asses. Billy Donovan and Brad Stevens went to the NBA, so they could just focus on coaching bball and let GMs worry about the roster. Gary Williams retired.

Last edited:
Point taken on Hurley's antics not being accepted at the next level. But I do think the NBA is more attractive. yes, there are more games, but the money is better (in general) and you can focus on basketball. Don't have to worry about recruiting, compliance etc. Even if you have a staff for that, you still have to be fairly involved.
Hurley makes more than Mazzula right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom