UConn out of NCAA's for 2013 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UConn out of NCAA's for 2013

I answered my own question ... each college sport has their own APR. As of the last reporting period (May of every year) Syracuse basketball has a multi-year APR of 928.

Back again ... from the UConn board many posters are banking on getting a waiver. From what I just read from a quote from an NCAA rep, the NCAA is going to be very tough on appeals significantly reducing the number of waivers, if any, that will be handed out.

I don't understand APR at all. DO they even take into account the level of education that each institution provides. I mean a 3.0 one place is much better than another place.

A 3.0 in one place would be better than a 3.0 in another place if we were talking physics majors. But when you look that the things that many of these guys major in, it almost doesn't matter where you go.

Back again ... from the UConn board many posters are banking on getting a waiver. From what I just read from a quote from an NCAA rep, the NCAA is going to be very tough on appeals significantly reducing the number of waivers, if any, that will be handed out.

Perhaps being on probation will hurt them in the appeal process.

Well, they can kiss any pipe dream chance of getting Noel goodbye! They will have this hanging over their head all year, couldn't have happened to a better program! Goodbye ACC for Uconn, hello Yankee conference again!

I really don't understand why it is OK for colleges & universities to charge $50k+ per year to give intelligent and promising students worthless degrees in 'philosophy' or 'art history' ... but it is not OK for an athlete to get a degree in an athletic sport that may be by far their most promising career. All this NCAA and Pro League meddling has twisted and distorted college sports into a perceived vice of learning institutions. It's like the NCAA has decided that while higher education is supposed to be open to embrace all fields of study... sports is the only field that is not OK.

If I want to pay a huge tuition to learn how to become the best post-modern urban metallic sculpture critic in the world I'd have plenty of schools welcoming that endeavor ... but if I wanted to learn everything there is about a sport that I play which will likely be the career that supports my livelihood & my family ... 'absolutely not, get a real degree'! It's about time that schools should allowed to embrace any curriculum or program that the students demand, especially those that provide practical value. There's so much talk out there about the looming higher education bubble nearing a collapse, yet the best way to relieve that threat - degrees that provide practical value - are the ones that are being blocked or under attack. Sickening.

I really don't understand why it is OK for colleges & universities to charge $50k+ per year to give intelligent and promising students worthless degrees in 'philosophy' or 'art history' ... but it is not OK for an athlete to get a degree in an athletic sport that may be by far their most promising career. All this NCAA and Pro League meddling has twisted and distorted college sports into a perceived vice of learning institutions. It's like the NCAA has decided that while higher education is supposed to be open to embrace all fields of study... sports is the only field that is not OK. It's about time that schools should allowed to embrace any curriculum or program that is in demand and provides practical value.

I feel like I read a piece by someone in the past basically saying this, athletes should be able to major in hoops or whatever.

I believe the problem is one of fairness. Should a school be punished for past transgressions when new rules are put in place? An argument can be made that for fairness sake current student athletes should not be deprived of an NCAA opportunity based on the actions of other students. Perhaps a fairer penalty is loss of revenue received from the tournament or bowl game payouts for years the academics came up short. To make the hit harder a one or two year ban from receiving future revenue could also be added into the equation. Maybe coach and administrator salaries need to be tied into the APR as well. After all, they need to be held accountable for the students they choose to bring into an institution. I wonder if the NCAA gave any thought to such ideas.

I believe the problem is one of fairness. Should a school be punished for past transgressions when new rules are put in place? An argument can be made that for fairness sake current student athletes should not be deprived of an NCAA opportunity based on the actions of other students. Perhaps a fairer penalty is loss of revenue received from the tournament or bowl game payouts for years the academics came up short. To make the hit harder a one or two year ban from receiving future revenue could also be added into the equation. Maybe coach and administrator salaries need to be tied into the APR as well. After all, they need to be held accountable for the students they choose to bring into an institution. I wonder if the NCAA gave any thought to such ideas.

Its a tough question? How can you punish them twice? Oh yah we punished them and then they basically worked around the punishment to add the scholly players they wanted.

Doesn't anyone else find it interesting that Uconn is the only big boy school effected? This comes on the heels of them being punished for recruiting violations (losing a scholly), losing a couple schollies for APR and then some how coming up with a scholly for a big time late 2012 reclassifying recruit. Its got to urk the NCAA that Uconn won the NC when on probation with a crappy APR and then gave them the finger by adding Drummand.

Its a tough question? How can you punish them twice? Oh yah we punished them and then they basically worked around the punishment to add the scholly players they wanted.

Doesn't anyone else find it interesting that Uconn is the only big boy school effected? This comes on the heels of them being punished for recruiting violations (losing a scholly), losing a couple schollies for APR and then some how coming up with a scholly for a big time late 2012 reclassifying recruit. Its got to urk the NCAA that Uconn won the NC when on probation with a crappy APR and then gave them the finger by adding Drummand.

Actually Jordoo they aren't the only school that is being affected ... there is a list of schools with APR's that are putting them in jeopardy. The media and everyone else is focusing on them because:

1) they are the reigning chumpions; and
2) b/c they so blatantly ignored and circumvented the penalties that were placedon them ... which was a major media event in itself. Worse now is that they are whining about possible penalties that they do blatantly ignore. I am sure they have their "think tank" working on a way to avoid this penalty as well.

Actually Jordoo they aren't the only school that is being affected ... there is a list of schools with APR's that are putting them in jeopardy. The media and everyone else is focusing on them because:

1) they are the reigning chumpions; and
2) b/c they so blatantly ignored and circumvented the penalties that were placedon them ... which was a major media event in itself. Worse now is that they are whining about possible penalties that they do blatantly ignore. I am sure they have their "think tank" working on a way to avoid this penalty as well.

Are any other big boy programs effected as in will not be able to play in the 13 torney?

I agree with your 1 and 2 and I also think that that may be why this new rule has been implicated in a way that makes Uconn inelligible or the 2013 torney. I wouldn't put it past the NCAA to have seen how Uconn got the Drummand scholly and just said enough is enough aren't we reduing that APR thing? Hmmm here this will keep Uconn out of one tourney for sure.

It's really stupid to add a rule now and time it in such a way that teams are affected without having any opportunity to make changes. The NCAA sucks 1 trillion times more than UConn ever did.

Cuse would have just received a ban had this been instituted earlier... either way, doesn't matter, Uconn will never miss an NCAA tourney. Punishing kids that are there now for the deeds of a completely different group of kids makes no sense at all and is not what the apr is meant to do. It's a terrible system of course, as it encourages programs to pave the way for their athletes to finish in "good standing" but doesn't gauge or encourage true academic performance (or gauge how difficult it is to finish in "good standing" at each particular school, ahem, kentucky)

Uconn's crime is that they haven't done as good a Job as other top D1 schools as Pretending that any of their Bball players are strong academically.

Cuse and uconn are very similar programs, in fact they often recruit the very same kids. I wouldn't be so fast to take pleasure in Uconn's misfortune... Cuse has had its own apr issues (very recently) and very well could do again. All it takes is some benchwarmers deciding to transfer to D2 or and NBA bound player to not finish a few credits.

NCAA will eventually adjust the reporting deadlines, and then they will use the two most recent apr season to determine 2013 tourney eligibility, and uconn will play.

And if the nba extends the college stay requirement to 2 years, and Drummond stays,they'll probably be in the final 4 that year too.

Anyway... This is my first and last post about this nonsense, very much looking forward to uconn and Cuse Bball this year, my guess is that both teams are going to have years to remember...

Uconn will never miss an NCAA tourney. ...

1) Unfortunately I agree with you ... in the long run UConn will probably not miss a tourny. I say unfortunately b/c it just sets another negative precedent. UConn has already blatantly circumvented NCAA sanctions ... and to do it again and again sets a terrible example that one can get away with anything...

Punishing kids that are there now for the deeds of a completely different group of kids makes no sense at all and is not what the apr is meant to do. It's a terrible system of course, as it encourages programs to pave the way for their athletes to finish in "good standing" but doesn't gauge or encourage true academic performance (or gauge how difficult it is to finish in "good standing" at each particular school, ahem, kentucky)...

2) The sanctions are not directed at "punishing the kids" it is focused on giving direction (I hate the use of punishment in this instance) to the institution. But by so doing it obviously impacts on the kids negatively. As for impacting today's kids for yesterday's actions what are you to do ... say, OK you did or didn't do this or that but that was yesterday ... so its OK. If you take the view that the penalties are meant to punish the kids than that is somewhat short sighted ... they are being punished but incidentally to the penalties being meted out to the institution. That true punishment is loss of revenue; loss of schollies; etc. It is not the deeds of kids in the past or present it is the behavior of the school that is being addressed by the sanctions;

3) Yes it isn't the greatest system in the world but at least its an appreciable beginning to ensure that the kids are or become scholar-athletes at least while the are in school ... and it should be the school's responsibility that appropriate direction and guidance are provided to the kids. Schools will inevitably try to circumvent this system and any others that the NCAA proposes and implements that impede an institution's desire to do what it wants to do ... and as long as they can successfully avoid or circumvent sanctions then the school would see no sense in abiding by the rules of the game; and

4) If the NBA does implement the 2-year rule it may not impact Drummond at all but rather the kids who are presently in high school or who are graduating in 2012. It is likely that the 2 year rule will focus on the new crop and not be held retroactive to kids already at the college level. Drummond is likely gone next year ... and b/c Drummond is there does not a final four or another championship make.

I appreciate your thoughtful response... And I agree that the NCAA needs to work out how to properly sanction programs that aren't up to scratch... Over the course of recent years this definitely includes uconn. I'm sure you can also understand that for uconn fans this is pretty frustrating given that all sorts of naughty behavior has gone unpunished for ummmmm ever.

Now, as far as the apr goes... It is a terrible gauge... Look around the country at all the poor academic institutions that "make the grade"... Like i said before, I'm done with this as the point is moot. Two days ago people were saying uconn would miss the tourney this year, now they say next year... The reality is that changing benchmarks to punish schools retroactively is not acceptable. Add that uconns apr last year was very good ,and the fact that the kids there now are not d bags like the dyson crew that ruined our reputation...and you have grounds for adjusting the apr rule or granting a waiver. They would definitely prefer the former for obvious reasons...

I know everyone likes to hate uconn... That's fine... But I've been a famine they were a joke, getting smoked by Cuse and g town every night... And stjohns and seton hall...

So what's more important to me is that they have a legit shot to repeat this year, and are doing it with good kids. It's not often, even as a big fan, that you believe you have a legit final four team... They certainly have that, as does Cuse. Looking forward, I'll be at game day and at the carrier dome game... Never been to carrier, looking forward

. Punishing kids that are there now for the deeds of a completely different group of kids makes no sense at all and is not what the apr is meant to do. ..

Agree and punishing any kids but the kid who did the infraction is also rediculous. Not the kids fault the coach screwed up. If the coach has knowledge then ban him for a season or two even if its midseason(and it should be).

A Three-Four scholorship penalty should be applied. Most teams use lots of scholorships anyway. Make them play walkons.

Agree and punishing any kids but the kid who did the infraction is also rediculous. Not the kids fault the coach screwed up. If the coach has knowledge then ban him for a season or two even if its midseason(and it should be).

A Three-Four scholorship penalty should be applied. Most teams use lots of scholorships anyway. Make them play walkons.

A scholarship ban is going to hurt kids who didn't do anything either.

No matter what you do, any penalty is going to be retroactive.

Cuse would have just received a ban had this been instituted earlier...

Don't think this is true; they've never had a 4 year score below 900 as far as I can tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom