um, Frank Howard? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

um, Frank Howard?

I seriously doubt JB left strict instructions about playing time. Hop is doling out the bench minutes as he sees fit and as game situations dictate. I'm sure we'll see Howard get more than token minutes down the road.
I guess so; Hop has been around JB long enough to know how JB wants the minutes to get distributed. Looks like Hop is managing the team's minutes as if JB were on the bench...

So just to clarify this Howard thing we have been told that how you practice is how you play

We've been told that Howard's was practing well.

We've been told that Howard was so good we needed more minutes for him

We've been told that if he was on the team last year he would've started

but yet he gets no minutes and the guy who was getting the minutes over him is shooting 30% for the year do we think Howard would do worse?

it's so disgusting!

I don't want to hear about steals !
Howard can get 7-8 rebounds/ assists a game guaranteed

why do people value steals more than rebounds

the whole middle of the floor was wide open the whole game for a guard to drive The defense to collapse and make a play or pass.

Frank can do that better than anybody on this team

completely unacceptable

Cornell's best player was a pg he was the whole team, and he was smaller made sense to go Kaleb I suppose. Howard is there, but still a a quarter step behind for a freshmen point guard. His facial expression looked a little bit worried to me against St Johns. Just let him settle in, and you may be suprised to see he may be our best finisher at the rim next year.

Its Christmas time, we coast this time of year just sit back and relax. These are meaningless games this week outside of a win.

Last edited:
Richardson essentially plays behind both of our seniors, Gbinije and Cooney but gets plenty of PT. Hop decided to go with Joseph rather than Howard. Joseph played pretty well while he was in there. But I thought we were developing Howard. Something has to have happened there.

I'm amazed it didn't come up in the presser.

Richardson essentially plays behind both of our seniors, Gbinije and Cooney but gets plenty of PT. Hop decided to go with Joseph rather than Howard. Joseph played pretty well while he was in there. But I thought we were developing Howard. Something has to have happened there.

I'm amazed it didn't come up in the presser.

They've gone with Joseph over Howard in every first half. Then Howard and no Joseph in the second halves since Atlantis form what I recall.

We're a weird team.

I seriously doubt JB left strict instructions about playing time. Hop is doling out the bench minutes as he sees fit and as game situations dictate. I'm sure we'll see Howard get more than token minutes down the road on occasion.

Maybe I'll go search it out - I don't think (nor was I trying to imply) that JB gave Hop instructions on how much PT to give anyone. He said something after G'Town, that he had talked to Hop before his suspension kicked in about Howard, and that he'd been practicing well, and was making a case (or whatever term JB used) for some PT.

Maybe I'll go search it out - I don't think (nor was I trying to imply) that JB gave Hop instructions on how much PT to give anyone. He said something after G'Town, that he had talked to Hop before his suspension kicked in about Howard, and that he'd been practicing well, and was making a case (or whatever term JB used) for some PT.
I remember reading that article, too. Seems to indicate that Hop is indeed calling his own shots regarding playing time.

I remember reading that article, too. Seems to indicate that Hop is indeed calling his own shots regarding playing time.

Hopkins explains kaleb/frank minutes. I posted this on another site. I think this is what you are referring to.

Hopkins: Kaleb has the ability to hit open shots. Frank is our best penetrator.

(Later)

Reporter: With how Frank played today and how many minutes he played, do you think he's almost hopped over Kaleb as guard off the bench?

Hopkins: I don't think so. I think everything is going to be situational for us in terms of what we need on a given game and also how they go in and play us. I just had a feeling about Frank tonight...about being home. He's had some really good practices before we left. Ya know, coach (Boeheim) mentioned the fact that Frank has looked really good...

...We're gonna get better. It's gonna be all of us together. Frank lifted us tonight. Kaleb did the other night.

it's gotta be dis-planetary . our whole university is in a dark dense state ...

My_House_-_My_Blue_Planet_Earth.jpg

So your point is, we as fans, should just accept it?
Well, what are you going to do? Change it? How? Complaining about how a HOF coach uses his kids in his 40th season is, to me, a waste of breath/pixels. Discussing it? Sure. But all the gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair around here is, well, just amazing. Not directed totally at you, but what are the other choices? Seriously.

Well, what are you going to do? Change it? How? Complaining about how a HOF coach uses his kids in his 40th season is, to me, a waste of breath/pixels. Discussing it? Sure. But all the gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair around here is, well, just amazing. Not directed totally at you, but what are the other choices? Seriously.
Considering that this is actually a FORUM for discussion; I don't feel venting my frustration is a waste... In fact, some may consider the venting of frustration one of the key purposes of a discussion forum...

Considering that this is actually a FORUM for discussion; I don't feel venting my frustration is a waste... In fact, some may consider the venting of frustration one of the key purposes of a discussion forum...
Have at it. Since this is a forum for discussion, I voiced my opinion, too. And IMO, asking if we should 'accept' what a 40-year HOF coach does at this point is, well, tilting at windmills. JMO.

It is reasonable to wonder why a player got no minutes. There's no point in getting upset about it.

Mike Hopkins is not a 40 year, Hall of Fame coach. He's deciding who plays at this point, not JB.

Its Christmas time, we coast this time of year just sit back and relax. These are meaningless games this week outside of a win.

I think just the opposite with a team that is trying to find itself and with freshmen who need the minutes to develop rhythm and confidence. The last couple of games are wasted opportunities for a guy like Howard. Disappointing and I hope it won't continue.

20Plus said:
Frank can do that better than anybody on this team completely unacceptable

I agree with this statement 100%!

Having a SF run a team at PG is a huge mistake IMO and we all see the stagnant ball movement and pour creativity that this team and last years team displayed.

Interesting. With all due respect, how do you precisely decipher the true difference between complaining and discussing on a message board? Your gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair remark is hyperbole for sure, unless, of course, you have an uncanny ability to see through computer screens. ;):) In my experience of being around this forum in its current state, as well as the one's preceding, it's pageantry, and, depending upon whom is doing the posting, determines their apparent dubious distinction.

I actually wanted to see more Kaleb in the Cornell game. He didn't score, but I believe he had 3 assists in 7 minutes. A couple steals as well.

When Kaleb is in it allows Gbinije to play off the ball. Kaleb found him in his spot numberous times. I was expecting him to get more run in the second half, along with some minutes for Howard.

I actually wanted to see more Kaleb in the Cornell game. He didn't score, but I believe he had 3 assists in 7 minutes. A couple steals as well.

When Kaleb is in it allows Gbinije to play off the ball. Kaleb found him in his spot numberous times. I was expecting him to get more run in the second half, along with some minutes for Howard.

I concur with this - also, with TC hitting shots in the second half, you could have given him a few minutes in G's spot, or even slid G down to the 3 to allow KJ some minutes point guard. We seem to be coaching from a position of fear...FH can only play when we're down big, we can't sub unless we're up at least 30 in the second half (and even then, who knows if we would sub). It's been quite discouraging.

I would speculate that between the quick hooks, and lack of faith we show in these guys to play in anything but the strangest of circumstances, it can't do much for their confidence. I thought the same with Patterson/Johnson. There is so much pressure to deliver when you do get the chance to play that you often see these guys shoot themselves in the foot...We're doing them/ourselves no big favors IMO. We tend to give our bench guards every opportunity to fail.

So just to clarify this Howard thing we have been told that how you practice is how you play

but yet he gets no minutes and the guy who was getting the minutes over him is shooting 30% for the year do we think Howard would do worse?

it's so disgusting!

the whole middle of the floor was wide open the whole game for a guard to drive The defense to collapse and make a play or pass.

completely unacceptable

"Completely unacceptable"?

I've been laughing about this term since I read it earlier.

What is it you plan to do if Hop and JB don't start acting in a way that you find "acceptable"?

Are you issuing an ultimatum? A sort of "Shape up or I'm going to start rooting for Georgetown" threat?

Maybe you shouldn't depend so heavily on what you have been told and that'll prevent these disappointments.

it's so disgusting!

completely unacceptable

We were "told" that 2 weeks ago, have they practiced since then? Maybe he's had bad practices.

I get the Howard love but in all reality he played adequately, I'm not really sure what people think he's going to do if he played consistently, nothing about his game showed me he'd be putting up numbers better than anybody else that's currently on the floor and that includes Joseph.

Do you really think Hop and JB are keeping the guy on the bench who's going to give us wins? Come on...

We were "told" that 2 weeks ago, have they practiced since then? Maybe he's had bad practices.

I get the Howard love but in all reality he played adequately, I'm not really sure what people think he's going to do if he played consistently, nothing about his game showed me he'd be putting up numbers better than anybody else that's currently on the floor and that includes Joseph.

Do you really think Hop and JB are keeping the guy on the bench who's going to give us wins? Come on...
C'mon two3; what about playing opponents with a full team, instead of 3 quarters of a team. Or what about developing talent for next year? I know it might be heresy here but why is it either or Joseph or Howard; play them both for crying out loud...
OT: Watched Pitt dominate Davidson this morning; man what a solid team, depth and balance is going to cause us fits...

playing two 5th year seniors a combined 79 minutes a game backcourt helps us how next year exactly ? nada!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom