um, Frank Howard? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

um, Frank Howard?

well any savvy invester will tell you there's short term gains and long term gains. where's your money ?

We were "told" that 2 weeks ago, have they practiced since then? Maybe he's had bad practices.

I get the Howard love but in all reality he played adequately, I'm not really sure what people think he's going to do if he played consistently, nothing about his game showed me he'd be putting up numbers better than anybody else that's currently on the floor and that includes Joseph.

Do you really think Hop and JB are keeping the guy on the bench who's going to give us wins? Come on...

Aren't we supposed to be developing players in these games? It's not just about who are your best 5 guys until after Texas Southern.

Aren't we supposed to be developing players in these games? It's not just about who are your best 5 guys until after Texas Southern.

Considering in 40 years we've played every single game to win and the coaches seem to want to develop players in practice this is not a new development. Playing Howard 5 minutes a game isn't going to development much. Constant practicing and in depth coaching will do more.

Considering in 40 years we've played every single game to win and the coaches seem to want to develop players in practice this is not a new development. Playing Howard 5 minutes a game isn't going to development much. Constant practicing and in depth coaching will do more.

This isn't correct. Playing in real game situations helps you learn so much better.

For 40 years we've played everyone in the early blow-out games and then settled down to a 7-8 man rotation for the conference.

For 40 years we've played everyone in the early blow-out games and then settled down to a 7-8 man rotation for the conference.
Early in the last few seasons there have been fewer blow-out/cupcake scenarios and less opportunity to give minutes to the deep bench players.

When in the past 3 seasons have we constantly blown out teams?

When in the past 3 seasons have we constantly blown out teams?

Constantly? I'm talking about who played in the blows out we did have.

Constantly? I'm talking about who played in the blows out we did have.

That's what I mean. There haven't been many of them. The games we do win by a large margin usually are still undecided with 5 minutes left.

That's what I mean. There haven't been many of them. The games we do win by a large margin usually are still undecided with 5 minutes left.

Here is what you said:

"Considering in 40 years we've played every single game to win and the coaches seem to want to develop players in practice this is not a new development."

That's rather different.

playing two 5th year seniors a combined 79 minutes a game backcourt helps us how next year exactly ? nada!

You still aren't getting it.

SU (JB and Hop) isn't setting the stage for next season.

Boeheim plays every game to win. Some early games against weaker opponents he tries to develop the team, especially the 5-6-7 that are going to play major minutes.

He does not believe in playing guys this year in preparation for next year.

You think that''s a good idea. He doesn't.

He has the only vote that counts.

You still aren't getting it.

SU (JB and Hop) isn't setting the stage for next season.

Boeheim plays every game to win. Some early games against weaker opponents he tries to develop the team, especially the 5-6-7 that are going to play major minutes.

He does not believe in playing guys this year in preparation for next year.

You think that''s a good idea. He doesn't.

He has the only vote that counts.
the argument isn't whether or not he should play younger guys. the argument is about whether or not the guys that are being played and the minutes they are being played for are the best for this team, as in this years team. cooney needs to play less. that is the bottom line and there is no argument around it.

the argument isn't whether or not he should play younger guys. the argument is about whether or not the guys that are being played and the minutes they are being played for are the best for this team, as in this years team. cooney needs to play less. that is the bottom line and there is no argument around it.
Nothing wrong with debating the minutes players receive. But anyone coming on here and stating unequivocally that Cooney needs to play less (and you're certainly not the only one in that camp) really doesn't get it. The HoF coach has determined what he feels is best for the team, and he wouldn't be doing it if he thought it would cost him in the win column. And the same goes for the man v. zone debate.

orangehomer said:
cooney needs to play less. that is the bottom line and there is no argument around it.

Seems like JB has an argument around it.

OK. I see where the frustration is coming from. You and some others aren't so pro-Howard as you are dismayed at Cooney's lapses.

I'm certainly no Cooney fan, although he is much better than I thought he as when I said (Famously on this board) he ought to transfer to a D3 school after his RS Frosh year. Still after 3.5 years + a RS year, he is who he is. (I haven't done a 180 on him as Forza A hopes for. More like a 120.)

The problem is that SU doesn't have anyone better on balance. And Cooney's problems aren't because he doesn't know where to be on the floor or lack of hustle or anything like that. And --- to be fair --- much of this has been that he has been asked to do a little more than he is actually capable of doing consistently (especially last year). Driving to the basket and finishing consistently comes to mind.

So Howard is going to sit until the coaching staff is pretty sure he is going to be as good as Cooney on balance (Not make costly mistakes). And this is a classical "Catch 22" in that he is unlikely to do better unless he plays and makes mistakes and he can'r play because he is likely to make mistakes.

OK. I see where the frustration is coming from. You and some others aren't so pro-Howard as you are dismayed at Cooney's lapses.

I'm certainly no Cooney fan, although he is much better than I thought he as when I said (Famously on this board) he ought to transfer to a D3 school after his RS Frosh year. Still after 3.5 years + a RS year, he is who he is. (I haven't done a 180 on him as Forza A hopes for. More like a 120.)

The problem is that SU doesn't have anyone better on balance. And Cooney's problems aren't because he doesn't know where to be on the floor or lack of hustle or anything like that. And --- to be fair --- much of this has been that he has been asked to do a little more than he is actually capable of doing consistently (especially last year). Driving to the basket and finishing consistently comes to mind.

So Howard is going to sit until the coaching staff is pretty sure he is going to be as good as Cooney on balance (Not make costly mistakes). And this is a classical "Catch 22" in that he is unlikely to do better unless he plays and makes mistakes and he can'r play because he is likely to make mistakes.

You mean the costly mistake like last year where Cooney helped down and gave up the most wide open, game tying three I've ever seen? That's still
One of the biggest lapses I've seen, Paul Harris vs pitt not withstanding.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”

darwin.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom