UNC receives a new notice of allegations | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

UNC receives a new notice of allegations

I thought the Men's BBall program was cleared in all of this anyways way back in April or whatever. Is that not the case?
Yep. Any mention of men's BB was mysteriously removed in that updated notice of allegations

Yep. Any mention of men's BB was mysteriously removed in that updated notice of allegations
And that's amazing, b/c many BB players were kept eligible through fake class attendance. Some have even sued the school (link below). If the NCAA ignores mass scale impermissible benefits, they had no business prosecuting micro-scale benefits at SU or any other school. Gutless and arbitrary.

Former UNC football player sues university

And that's amazing, b/c many BB players were kept eligible through fake class attendance. Some have even sued the school (link below). If the NCAA ignores mass scale impermissible benefits, they had no business prosecuting micro-scale benefits at SU or any other school. Gutless and arbitrary.

Former UNC football player sues university

Unfortunately, they ARE that arbitrary in terms of enforcing the rules, selectively choosing who to go after, and capriciously meting out penalties.

As an enforcement agency, they are a complete joke. Recent highly public cases have shown this beyond the shadow of a doubt.

I went back and forth with Mike DeCourcey today on twitter arguing that te media had given UNC a pass compared to Syracuse. He clearly didn't agree and got defensive.

How about this little story that showed up and then disappeared. I mean what would he gain by coming out and saying all this?
McCants says he took sham classes at UNC

Seems like the key piece of information in this case, referenced in the McCants story, is the idea that athletes were "steered" into these sham courses. If that can be proved, UNC could still claim that the courses were available to all students (their apparent ace in the hole), but they couldn't claim that athletes, specifically, didn't receive impermissible benefits. If you can establish that athletes were being treated differently than 'normal' students, you have something. Of course, the mere fact that approx. 50% of the participants in these classes were athletes (when they represent a very small percentage of the overall student body) pretty much tells the story of what's going on here, even if it's not evidence, per se.

Look at us - our academics suck for everyone! Really, we are indiscriminately academically awful for all comers! Our athletes were simply collateral damage from our lack of academic standards and shouldn't be punished twice for that. I mean it - we totally suck!

Another thing I find strange is Rashad McCants saying that UNC and the NCAA offered him big settlement money in 2014.
Rashad McCants: $10M coming from UNC, $300M from NCAA

Then no follow ups that I could find but then Rashad's sister who was on UNC's women's basketball team and a football player filed a lawsuit against the NCAA , UNC in 2015 but oddly enough no Rashad from the men's basketball team. Why? Funny no men's basketball players filing? Did they "settle"? Why did Rashad not file?? Anyone know what happened to him and his assertions and the status of the lawsuit?
North Carolina Tar Heels academic scandal: Former athletes Rashanda McCants, Devon Ramsay sue university

Another thing I find strange is Rashad McCants saying that UNC and the NCAA offered him big settlement money in 2014.

Then no follow ups that I could find but then Rashad's sister who was on UNC's women's basketball team and a football player filed a lawsuit against the NCAA , UNC in 2015 but oddly enough no Rashad from the men's basketball team. Why? Funny no men's basketball players filing? Did they "settle"? Why did Rashad not file?? Anyone know what happened to him and his assertions and the status of the lawsuit?
North Carolina Tar Heels academic scandal: Former athletes Rashanda McCants, Devon Ramsay sue university

LMAO If you seriously want to believe someone like McCants, who, as you just posted, said UNC and the NCAA were paying him hundreds of millions of dollars... well, I can't help you.

I will point out that:
1) McCants was told by every coach he had, from College and the NBA, that he needed professional counseling and help.
2) That McCants blames Roy for is failure in the NBA, never mind how he was a #1 draft pick who then blew the millions he got, and is now begging ex-teammates for cash.
3) The same McCants who "showed his transcript", which lead to so many ABCers going into an uproar. Never mind how the transcript he showed was just a class list printed up, that it wasn't an actual transcript. The same McCants that refused a call to show his ACTUAL transcript.
4) The same McCants that UNC has an official record of him choosing to drop the classes he was signed up for, to take his famous 3-4 "paper" classes. Yes, he chose to do that AGAINST advice. Pesky damn facts.
5) Or the fact that those same classes he signed up for, were for his last semester, the one he went to the draft in. In other words, he could have had zeroes in EVERY class that semester, and it wouldn't have effected his eligibility in any way, shape, form, or fashion.
6) The same McCants that was asked MULTIPLE times to talk to Wainstein and refused, the same McCants that REFUSED MULTIPLE times to talk to the NCAA... Hint, his crazy ass knew any lawyer who could ask questions back would rip his insane story to shreds. Yes, those pesky facts again.
7) The same McCants who had every single ex teammate at UNC issue a statement and sign a joint affidavit that what McCants said was not true. Yes, they all, every one of them, called him a liar. But I guess you believe McCants over 20 other people.

As far the lawsuit, that was thrown out, if it matters. BTW, wasn't it a big red flag to you that McCants sister was in the lawsuit?

I figured if any fan base would understand how the media will push an agenda, facts be damned, it would be Syracuse, I was wrong.

LMAO If you seriously want to believe someone like McCants, who, as you just posted, said UNC and the NCAA were paying him hundreds of millions of dollars... well, I can't help you.

I will point out that:
1) McCants was told by every coach he had, from College and the NBA, that he needed professional counseling and help.
2) That McCants blames Roy for is failure in the NBA, never mind how he was a #1 draft pick who then blew the millions he got, and is now begging ex-teammates for cash.
3) The same McCants who "showed his transcript", which lead to so many ABCers going into an uproar. Never mind how the transcript he showed was just a class list printed up, that it wasn't an actual transcript. The same McCants that refused a call to show his ACTUAL transcript.
4) The same McCants that UNC has an official record of him choosing to drop the classes he was signed up for, to take his famous 3-4 "paper" classes. Yes, he chose to do that AGAINST advice. Pesky damn facts.
5) Or the fact that those same classes he signed up for, were for his last semester, the one he went to the draft in. In other words, he could have had zeroes in EVERY class that semester, and it wouldn't have effected his eligibility in any way, shape, form, or fashion.
6) The same McCants that was asked MULTIPLE times to talk to Wainstein and refused, the same McCants that REFUSED MULTIPLE times to talk to the NCAA... Hint, his crazy ass knew any lawyer who could ask questions back would rip his insane story to shreds. Yes, those pesky facts again.
7) The same McCants who had every single ex teammate at UNC issue a statement and sign a joint affidavit that what McCants said was not true. Yes, they all, every one of them, called him a liar. But I guess you believe McCants over 20 other people.

As far the lawsuit, that was thrown out, if it matters. BTW, wasn't it a big red flag to you that McCants sister was in the lawsuit?

I figured if any fan base would understand how the media will push an agenda, facts be damned, it would be Syracuse, I was wrong.
Yep - not calling a kid's parent after he lit up = systemically keeping athletes eligible for years with fake/non-existent courses.

Good call.

I will point out that:

McCants is certainly an easy target. But he is hardly the whole story.

In fact, the UNC degree has been tarnished. And the primary reason is the basketball program.

McCants is certainly an easy target. But he is hardly the whole story.

In fact, the UNC degree has been tarnished. And the primary reason is the basketball program.

That's why, over the 5-6 years this investigation has been ongoing, UNC has improved in every single metric that touches on our academic reputation. Number of applicants increasing, check. Average SAT/ACT scores increasing for incoming classes, check. Research funding increasing, check. Still listed as the #1 value in higher education, check. Still a top 30 national University, check. Still a top 5 public University, check. Still a top 50 international University, check.

Yup, so tarnished, good call.

That's why, over the 5-6 years this investigation has been ongoing, UNC has improved in every single metric that touches on our academic reputation. Number of applicants increasing, check. Average SAT/ACT scores increasing for incoming classes, check. Research funding increasing, check. Still listed as the #1 value in higher education, check. Still a top 30 national University, check. Still a top 5 public University, check. Still a top 50 international University, check.

Yup, so tarnished, good call.
Massive academic fraud with 50% of fraudsters being athletes. Well done Carolina. Well done.

Massive academic fraud with 50% of fraudsters being athletes. Well done Carolina. Well done.
All I know is that when UNC skates, the AD's first call should be to Emmert. And the first words out of his mouth should be, "Mark, exactly which pre-season game will we be announcing the complete restoration of HOF Coach Jim Boeheim's vacated wins?"

Oh Lord

You will have to forgive us as a fanbase. We sat for 8 years as the NCAA diligently tried to find any little transgression that they could find here and came up with a few minor ones that they absolutely hammered us for, because it was in their "wheelhouse". I don't even know what that means, but the media and every other school took that at face value and labeled Syracuse as cheaters and they ran with it, and still use it. Meanwhile, the NCAA gets thrown tons of evidence of major academic infractions at UNC and does practically nothing and everyone is willing to just turn the other cheek. Proportional to our transgressions, UNC would get the death penalty, not that I want that, but you can understand how it might be a bit frustrating. So, please forgive us.

I will point out that:

You are so beyond delusional it no longer just makes me laugh - I'm actually nauseated by it. Your "school" is very fortunate the NCAA is the inept cartel it is.

I will point out that:

God Bless UNC and their clean basketball program. It is amazing how they have overcome this media agenda.

Many NBA fans probably don't realize the high level of bitterness that existed between many Raptor fans and Vince Carter and his actions on his way out. Many Raptor fans, including myself, have moved on over the past few years, and decided to look at more of the good times.

But everytime I see this UNC story it makes me sick. Vince Carter flew to UNC on the morning of the 2001 game 7 Eastern Semi's to accept his diploma. He was then rushed back to Philly for the 2:00 start to game 7. It was always questioned. What sickens me now was that he created a major team distraction to accept a bogus degree. Shame on Vince, UNC, and F all its graduates.

Baghdad_Roy.bmp

Terrific article. I agreed 100% with this part:

I believe, and think anyone off the street who is not a North Carolina fan or apologist knows, that this was a long standing scheme that would not have occurred as long or to the level it did but for the benefit to certain athletes.
...as well as the scathing indictment of how hypocritical the NCAA is. The article nailed it on both accounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom