Up 3, no foul | Syracusefan.com

Up 3, no foul

pearl31

in cahoots
surprised this hasn't been brought up yet (haven't looked in the game thread)
I think Hopkins screwed up pretty big by not fouling on Clemson's last possession in reg. You can't let them get up a 3 in that situation. And no, I don't think there was too much time left to foul.

I think Hopkins screwed up pretty big by not fouling on Clemson's last possession in reg. You can't let them get up a 3 in that situation. And no, I don't think there was too much time left to foul.
It was brought up in the chatroom. Some coaches foul and some don't. I personally think it's a no brainer but obviously the JAB coaching tree doesn't.

JB has said in the past, and it makes even more sense with this team, you had better be a good rebounding team if you are going to do that. So they miss, the second or first, and if they get the rebound, all you have done is stop the clock for them, and given possession right back. I have no idea if it was a conscious decision for Hop to not foul, but it could easily backfire with this cast.

JB has said in the past, and it makes even more sense with this team, you had better be a good rebounding team if you are going to do that. So they miss, the second or first, and if they get the rebound, all you have done is stop the clock for them, and given possession right back. I have no idea if it was a conscious decision for Hop to not foul, but it could easily backfire with this cast.
I hear you, but it's still better odds than letting them get a 3-pointer off

Exactly. Whether you choose to foul or not foul, you need to ensure that they can't take a three that they can make. Give them two pointers or guard them real tight at the perimeter. No way you give them that shot.

I posted that same thing as it happened no excuse for hop

In
I 100 percent would have fouled. Same thing happened to us a few years ago at Villanova and they hit the three to tie. If my memory serves me correctly, that game went to overtime and we lost. I think we had a 4 or 5 point lead with like 20 seconds left.

I don't know about that, I swear I remember JB of late being on record as favoring a foul in that situation. I think Hop just...
Well there was a TO before Mali's second FT, so I would assume the endgame strategy was discussed there. It did not appear SU ever intended to foul, so I would have to assume Hop opted to not foul there. But yes, JB has recently come around to foul in that situation.

Even assuming you don't foul, they should have had Lydon out at the perimeter helping on the switches.

Entice them to throw it inside and then let them have the two.

I said this in the chatroom, but I am more disturbed by Lydon's miscue than the decision to not foul. With a three-point lead, Lydon left a wide-open shooter in the corner to stop another player from scoring two points. Not the smartest basketball play...

Hopefully, the young man learns from this.

Once every ten years a team misses a free throw on purpose and gets the board and then scores. Once.every.ten.years.

Heck, the player trying to miss usually makes the dang shot by accident

The +EV play is always foul. Always. There are meatheads on the gridiron and the hardwood

I said this in the chatroom, but I am more disturbed by Lydon's miscue than the decision to not foul. With a three-point lead, Lydon left a wide-open shooter in the corner to stop another player from scoring two points. Not the smartest basketball play...

Hopefully, the young man learns from this.
Yup. Pat brought this up on the call-in show. Lydon was so concerned with guarding the two. Terrible

Hop in his presser said instructions were to foul. Cut him some slack.
I have not seen the presser yet, but that would be unfortunate and a case of poor execution by the senior backcourt.

Geez that surprises me. Because I didn't see any indication that anyone was trying to foul.
low team IQ we have here. I guess that Gross now is gone they have no one to look to for instructions.

I have not seen the presser yet, but that would be unfortunate and a case of poor execution by the senior backcourt.

Sure would. It would confirm what I have said several times in the chatroom the last several games: we play hard, but we don't play smart.

We aren't good enough to overcome bad basketball IQ and/or not executing the coaches instructions in late-game situations.

and for the record, I've never screamed at my TV more loudly or more vigorously than I did (about us not fouling) when the Clemson dude was going up for that shot and in the moments after it went in. I can barely talk now.

We say bad IQ every friggin year, especially when we choke. It's not IQ gentlemen... that's just a wet blanket catch phrase.

Running an NBA offense without elite playmakers = disaster

Zone without a shot blocker is also useless.

And we are impotent in transition.

That is all.

How quickly you are all forgetting the Duke game that we ultimately won in OT 2 years ago, but the one where we did not foul and let Duke shoot the 3 to tie the game instead of foul. So don't put this all on Hops coaching. JB has done it also. Depends on the team, the situation etc. Just not always done. But I agree it should have been done here. If you do it though you HAVE to make free throws. Cause they are going to foul you right back. There was plenty of time on the clock for a couple of back and froths between the 2 teams at the foul line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom