Up 3, no foul | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Up 3, no foul

We say bad IQ every friggin year, especially when we choke. It's not IQ gentlemen... that's just a wet blanket catch phrase.

Running an NBA offense without elite playmakers = disaster

Zone without a shot blocker is also useless.

And we are impotent in transition.

That is all.

Not sure Lydon's miscue had anything to do with our offense or our zone. It had a lot to do with not understanding score and situation.

Had to foul there. My 15 year old son had it said right after Malachi missed.

How quickly you are all forgetting the Duke game that we ultimately won in OT 2 years ago, but the one where we did not foul and let Duke shoot the 3 to tie the game instead of foul. So don't put this all on Hops coaching. JB has done it also. Depends on the team, the situation etc. Just not always done. But I agree it should have been done here. If you do it though you HAVE to make free throws. Cause they are going to foul you right back. There was plenty of time on the clock for a couple of back and froths between the 2 teams at the foul line.
Except for the fact that JB said after that game he told them to foul but they didn't.

To foul or not to foul, hop should have called timeout before mals free throws to get everyone on the same page. If he was barking that request during live action it's easy to see how players could tune out.

If he had a TO left, you have to use it to set up your defense!

To foul or not to foul, hop should have called timeout before mals free throws to get everyone on the same page. If he was barking that request during live action it's easy to see how players could tune out.

there was a timeout between FTs

And also just listened to Mike's press conference. Same thing. They were suppose to foul with under 8 seconds, which would be the correct way, and it just did not work out that way. So there you have it. I think it WAS mentioned above that he said to foul. But hearing the whole explanation, now makes sense what happened. It does not always play out the way it is coached.

And also just listened to Mike's press conference. Same thing. They were suppose to foul with under 8 seconds, which would be the correct way, and it just did not work out that way. So there you have it. I think it WAS mentioned above that he said to foul. But hearing the whole explanation, now makes sense what happened. It does not always play out the way it is coached.
But even that is wrong. You foul right after they cross half court.

But even that is wrong. You foul right after they cross half court.
I'm not sure about that. Fouling with 14 seconds left doesn't require them to intentionally miss. It gets you into a FT shooting contest. Not our strong point.

surprised this hasn't been brought up yet (haven't looked in the game thread)
I think Hopkins screwed up pretty big by not fouling on Clemson's last possession in reg. You can't let them get up a 3 in that situation. And no, I don't think there was too much time left to foul.
Too much time. We foul. They make 2 and foul us. How good do you feel with us at the line up 1 with 6 seconds left? You foul with 6 or so left. Not 10

yeah, except there was a time out between free throws. Try again.

Too much time. We foul. They make 2 and foul us. How good do you feel with us at the line up 1 with 6 seconds left? You foul with 6 or so left. Not 10
Wholeheartedly disagree.
Do. Not. Let. Them. Shoot. A. Three.

I hear you, but it's still better odds than letting them get a 3-pointer off

I thought of fouling at the time which looking in hindsight would have definitely been a better decision but ONLY because we played such atrocious defense at the most crucial time of the entire game, up 3 with 18 seconds remaining. I said to my husband and the Wilmorite guy sitting next to me as Clemson was dribbling down court we'd better be all over Clemson's #10 and #12 from taking an open 3 or not foul a guy taking a 3.

How could we let #12 who was 3 for 5 from 3, take that shot from the corner in just 7 seconds? Who cares about #15 who couldn't shoot who was at the top of the key, #35 who was underneath while we were up 3 just make sure their 2 shooters don't get good looks. We should have been able to play enough defense for the remaining 18 seconds after Malachi's miss to force them at the least to take a bad 3 or a sure 2 forcing them to foul us with just a few seconds left.

Plan was for Syracuse basketball to foul Clemson, not allow game-tying 3-pointer (PS: Carlson)

With 18 seconds left in regulation during a 74-73 overtime loss on Tuesday, Malachi Richardson made a free throw to put the Orange up three. Clemson called a timeout, and the Orange discussed its options.

Ideally, Richardson would make his second free throw and ice the game. If not, Hopkins said he told the Orange it should intentionally foul Clemson and surrender two free throws if the clock ticked under 8 seconds.

"We wanted to obviously extend on the 3-point line," Hopkins said. "They were going to maybe run a screen and a dribble hand-off. We were going to switch and stay out. Then we wanted to foul within 8 seconds. Sometimes, you know, there's just a miscommunication."

That miscommunication allowed Clemson to toss the ball inside to center Landry Nnoko with 9.6 seconds left, a dangerous play for a team needing 3 points to tie, and then back out to Gabe DeVoe for the game-tying 3-pointer with 5.6 seconds remaining.

Syracuse failed to foul either one...

Only foul if there is less than 5 seconds left, imo. We inbounded the ball with 5 seconds left, so we would have fouled with probably 10 or 12 seconds to go. With our luck, Clemson would have hit both free throws and we'd go 1 for 2. That would leave them with probably 6 or 8 seconds to get down the court and put up a shot, potentially for the win.

Probably small potatoes but I hated taking all of our guys off the FT line on Mal's second shot. Leave 2 at the lane to scrap for the miss we all knew was coming. Leave 2 back. I also think it throws guys off when the lane is just opposing players.

Hop is covering his a**. He clearly mouthed the words "no fouls" coming out of that huddle. This was discussed in the chat room last night. The camera picked it up as they were coming back onto the court. And Cooney is defending his coach by saying they were told to foul. In a similar post-game interview, Lydon was quoted as saying he didn't hear anything about fouling in that huddle.

Hop is covering his a**. He clearly mouthed the words "no fouls" coming out of that huddle. This was discussed in the chat room last night. The camera picked it up as they were coming back onto the court. And Cooney is defending his coach by saying they were told to foul. In a similar post-game interview, Lydon was quoted as saying he didn't hear anything about fouling in that huddle.

I actually recall that video shot last night, and I would have to concur with you that it appeared that Hop was saying "no fouls!" This can be supported/argued that that is why it looked like none of our guys on D in that last Clemson possession in regulation (prior to that 3) appeared that they had any interest in fouling.

Lydon is also a freshman. It's Hopkins responsibility to instruct his his players what to do.

Respectfully disagree.

I agree with you pearl. I was yelling for the foul after Malachi missed the second. Then when they foul us again, hopefully we can at least keep the three point cushion.

I agree with you pearl. I was yelling for the foul after Malachi missed the second. Then when they foul us again, hopefully we can at least keep the three point cushion.
I just think that's the way you have to play it there. And plus they were still in the 1-and-1.

Now I need to re-watch it. So you are claiming Hop lied to blame a kid for a mistake he made. If 8 seconds was the number he could have been mouthing no foul until then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom