Up 3, no foul | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Up 3, no foul

Now I need to re-watch it. So you are claiming Hop lied to blame a kid for a mistake he made. If 8 seconds was the number he could have been mouthing no foul until then.
Now I'm really confused. Think I need to see the Zapruder film of Hop coming out of the TO.

Now I need to re-watch it. So you are claiming Hop lied to blame a kid for a mistake he made. If 8 seconds was the number he could have been mouthing no foul until then.
Watch it again. Nobody on the floor is watching the clock. And nobody is looking to foul.

I actually recall that video shot last night, and I would have to concur with you that it appeared that Hop was saying "no fouls!" This can be supported/argued that that is why it looked like none of our guys on D in that last Clemson possession in regulation (prior to that 3) appeared that they had any interest in fouling.
I'm guessing he said that in reference to Mal making the 2nd FT to go up 4. That would not be a time to foul, obviously. It sounds like he wasn't clear enough, which is a major issue and does not reflect well on him. We have kids saying they didn't hear instruction to foul (Lydon, G), and Cooney defending Hop saying they were instructed to foul. Whatever it was, there is/was disconnect and a good reason the team blew it at the end.

Conceptually it is the right thing to do under the 8 second mark. But did we have the chance? Part od the problem was that Clemson already had it in our end before the 8 second mark, and were in range around the 8 second mark and were moving the ball/. A deliberate foul in such a situation does raise the risk for a 3 shot foul.

It is something that is easier done as a team moves the ball into your end near halfcourt. Clemson inbounded around 18 second mar -- at that point you could not give the instructions to foul.

Should the team have known to lookout for it around the 9 second mark -- I guess but it's much harder to executive once the again is happening.

Conceptually it is the right thing to do under the 8 second mark. But did we have the chance? Part od the problem was that Clemson already had it in our end before the 8 second mark, and were in range around the 8 second mark and were moving the ball/. A deliberate foul in such a situation does raise the risk for a 3 shot foul.

It is something that is easier done as a team moves the ball into your end near halfcourt. Clemson inbounded around 18 second mar -- at that point you could not give the instructions to foul.

Should the team have known to lookout for it around the 9 second mark -- I guess but it's much harder to executive once the again is happening.
I know many disagree but I firmly believe that you foul as soon as they cross half court in that situation. You simply do not let them shoot a 3 under any circumstance.

I know many disagree but I firmly believe that you foul as soon as they cross half court in that situation. You simply do not let them shoot a 3 under any circumstance.

Actually I don't disagree, but it has to be less than 8 seconds when you foul (ideally less than 6). When did Clemson cross there -- around 16 seconds?

If you foul them at 16 seconds -- they will foul you, and you will need to do the same thing with maybe 10-12 seconds left. All of a sudden your doing a 4 vs 4 Free Throw contest (if not 6 vs 6) with not much time going off the clock... chances are decent that other team will now get the ball one or two down with plenty of time, and you can no longer foul.

You don't mind losing that FT shooting contest, and the lead being one less than before as long as the other team does not have much time to get a shot... say 4 seconds or so.

Last edited:
lets face it the zone sucked last night should have been in man, the probably don't get another wide open three. I do agree that we foul though but we can't communicate that to all 5 players in a huddle,wth

Vorony said:
Watch it again. Nobody on the floor is watching the clock. And nobody is looking to foul.

They don't watch the clock. They mentally count backwards till about 8.

They don't watch the clock. They mentally count backwards till about 8.
I suppose they also mentally count backwards from 30 on every possession, to avoid a shot clock violation? This makes no sense.

Vorony said:
I suppose they also mentally count backwards from 30 on every possession, to avoid a shot clock violation? This makes no sense.

That would be a bit extreme and ridiculous.

Kowbelkat said:
We can barely dribble and you expect them to count backwards too

Intelligent post.

"He said Syracuse simply got caught up by Clemson's ball movement and their reactions took over. Things happened on the court so quickly that players failed to tick off how many seconds remained on the clock in their heads."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom