USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Why I think the big 10 and sec strike a deal, those teams total 8 or more and united to dissolve the acc
I don't see the B1G and the SEC cooperating. I see them competing.

It might end up with the same result but there is no way 2/3 or 3/4 (or perhaps more) of the schools in the ACC are going to vote to dissolve the ACC unless they ALL have assurances they are going to get a better deal playing in a different conference.

Are the networks going to be willing to play B1G or SEC money to all or almost all the ACC schools when they have them locked up at low rates for another 14 years?

The answer is no.

My end game scenario. 3 conference with 24 members each and ND remain independent with schedule alliance.

SEC (24) 1/5 + 6 + 2misc = 14 games
Eastern Conference

Florida (FSU)
•Florida St (UF)
Georgia (GT)
•Georgia Tech (UGA)
•Clemson (USC)
South Carolina (CU)
Kentucky (UL)
•Louisville (UK)
•Virginia (VT)
•Virginia Tech (UVA)
•North Carolina (NCSU)
•NC State (UNC)
Western Conference
Alabama (AU)
Auburn (BAMA)
Tennessee (VANDY)
Vanderbilt (TENN)
Ole Miss (MISS ST)
Mississippi St (MISS)
LSU (TAMU)
Arkansas (MIZZOU)
Missouri (ARK)
Oklahoma (UT)
Texas (OU)
Texas A&M (LSU)

BIG (24) 1/5 + 6 + 2misc = 14 games
Eastern Conference

Maryland
Rutgers
Penn St
Ohio St
Michigan
Indiana
Purdue
Michigan St
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Illinois
Iowa
Western Conference
USC
UCLA
Stanford
California
Oregon
Washington
Arizona
Utah
Colorado
Kansas
Nebraska
Minnesota

ACC Big 12 (24)
ACC (1/5 + 6 + 2misc) = 14 games

Boston College (MA)
Syracuse (NY)
Pittsburgh (PA)
West Virginia (WV)
Cincinnati (OH)
Duke (NC)
Wake Forest (NC)
UCF (FL)
Miami (FL)
Tulane (LA)
Baylor (TX)
Houston (TX)
Big 12 (1/5 + 6 + 2misc) = 14 games
Iowa St (IA)
Kansas St (KS)
Oklahoma St (OK)
Texas Tech (TX)
TCU (TX)
Colorado St (CO)
BYU (UT)
Boise St (ID)
Oregon St (OR)
Washington St (WA)
Arizona St (AZ)
San Diego St (CA)

Notre Dame could play two games against each conference division plus Navy and Army to get to 14 games.

This ACC Big 12 amalgamation is . . . "not pretty" is the nicest words I have.

The ACC is made up members and these members may all agree this isn't worth it anymore.
Why?

A handful might get better deals elsewhere. Not a majority.

What was the payout for each ACC school last year? $38 or $39 million? You think the ACC schools are going to willingly throw that away because they are sick of the turbulence of college sports?

This ACC Big 12 amalgamation is . . . "not pretty" is the nicest words I have.
I realize it’s not pretty, but this is an Armageddon situation. Syracuse would be paired with similar east coast private schools, traditional northeast rivals, and have access to Florida and Texas within the conference.

I just wish things would finally shake out, no matter what the end result is. Just hurry it up and let it all settle. I assume we're left out in the end but if it lets us just focus better with peer schools, so be it.

Why?

A handful might get better deals elsewhere. Not a majority.

What was the payout for each ACC school last year? $38 or $39 million? You think the ACC schools are going to willingly throw that away because they are sick of the turbulence of college sports?

do we think the deal is the same if all the good colleges leave? There must be conditions if this conference is gutted. We won't be paid 38mm "minding the store".

not a good day for SU sports no matter how you look at it. Our conference will be raided (pretty much a guarantee), we won't be a team conferences will be trying to jockey for (there will be at least 10 before us in the ACC), and our future in a big football conf may lie with Joohn Wildhack

If the B1G sticks to the farce of academics and AAU membership:

ACC- Duke, GA Tech, Pitt, UNC, UVA
B12- Kansas
P12- Arizona, Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Stanford, Utah, Washington
SEC- A&M, Florida, Missouri, Texas, Vanderbilt
G5- Buffalo, Rice, Tulane
Former- Iowa State, SU

I can see the B1G getting the ACC, B12, P12 teams. I don't think it is worth getting the G5 teams. SEC could be interesting. What would it take for one to defect?

Are Texas and Oklahoma bound to the SEC? If the B1G came in and offered them, would they pay an exit fee? Or did they not officially join yet? Does getting USC and UCLA change Texas' mind?

Anyone see his this end well for us? I don’t. Only hope is to land in the BIG eastern division. I’d put about a 5% chance of that happening.
I think the only way you can call it "well" is if we end up in a basketball super conference (i.e. the only big east reconstructed) and then some like minded group of football / non-rev sports that care about geographic rivalries and academics.

I'm sure the Supreme Court will gut Title 9 next though and that will be moot.

That is a major caveat--"*has not been finalized* at the highest level of power."

USC is private, so if they get the BoT on board, it's a go.

UCLA is public. They face additional obstacles. Cal might not like the move. And what of the CA state politicians?

I don't think this is a simple process, nor a done deal.

Anyone see his this end well for us? I don’t. Only hope is to land in the BIG eastern division. I’d put about a 5% chance of that happening.

Hard to see it ending well especially if the goal is to still be at the very top of D1 sports, like we are now being in a "P5 Conference". Maybe the B10 will have interest in us as a regional partner for PSU/Maryland and Rutty(Gross to say that) but as you noted that seems slim. I am sure the BE would be thrilled to have us back if it came to that but that would also signal the death knell for what's left of the football program.

The bball program being down right now isn't helping our cause much either. SU desperately needs to get both major programs back on track this coming season and then hope for the best.

I have to believe the Big 10 has eyes on Oregon next. Ties with Nike, they invest a TON of money into sports. The Next Pac 12 school to jump has to be them they are now the best school (sports wise) in that conference.
Not a ton for football relative to the B10 and SEC but aperhaps more equitably for all sports. Eugene calls itself Tracktown USA, a name that is well-deserved. Haywood Field is an unreal track and field stadium and would be then envy of many a football program.

To top it off, Phil Knight has endowed biomedical research and applied science at UO to the tune of $1B over the past six years. That sort of thing is important to the B10.

We're joining the Big Ten.

Is there some sort of bat signal or giant four leaf clover that goes off somewhere when ND is mentioned on any message board. I swear to god a ND poster shows up within hours whenever they are mentioned regardless of the board and its usually that TerryD guy. Unbelievable.

Hard to see it ending well especially if the goal is to still be at the very top of D1 sports, like we are now being in a "P5 Conference". Maybe the B10 will have interest in us as a regional partner for PSU/Maryland and Rutty(Gross to say that) but as you noted that seems slim. I am sure the BE would be thrilled to have us back if it came to that but that would also signal the death knell for what's left of the football program.

The bball program being down right now isn't helping our cause much either. SU desperately needs to get both major programs back on track this coming season and then hope for the best.

I actually think our path to success in basketball is back to the Big East and our roots. It's not lost on me that we have never been better than we were in the Big East. That's our roots.

Football is a wildcard we know is on the thinnest of thin ice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom