USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

do we think the deal is the same if all the good colleges leave? There must be conditions if this conference is gutted. We won't be paid 38mm "minding the store".

not a good day for SU sports no matter how you look at it. Our conference will be raided (pretty much a guarantee), we won't be a team conferences will be trying to jockey for (there will be at least 10 before us in the ACC), and our future in a big football conf may lie with Joohn Wildhack
How can the 'good' colleges leave when there is a GOR that doesn't expire until 2036?

Uninformed people are always saying a GOR can be broken but it has never happened. Unless the GOR is near expiration.

There are two conferences whose GORs are going to expire in the next 2 years. The B12 and the P12. Guess what conferences schools are leaving or looking to leave?

If the ACC was destroyed or dissolved I bet Notre Dame would join the Big Ten.
I think if their is a raid on the Pac 12, ND is running to the Big 10. They see the handwriting on the wall

USC Women's Soccer is going to be traveling to Piscataway for soccer is just incredible.
Although retired for over ten years, my company’s North American headquarters was, at that time, located in Piscataway and I had to go there for quarterly executive meetings.

I would never use “Piscataway” and “incredible” in a sentence together for any reason. The proximity of those two words is almost too much for my mind to conceive of…

Last edited:
The SEC could go to a 2 school/state model and add UNC NC St UVA VT Louisville GT Clemson and Florida State

In this scenario it wouldn’t completely shock me to see Duke go to the Ivy League
I could see the SEC wanting VT and UNC. Maybe UVa and UNC.

Why take both schools in NC or VA?

Why take GT and make them an equal with UGa?

Why take UM and FSU and make them equals with UF?

Why take UL and make them equal with UK?

Or why take Clemson when South Carolina hates their guts and wants them to die?

It doesn't make sense.

The SEC isn't the ACC. They do not make moves that do not make fiscal sense.

How can the 'good' colleges leave when there is a GOR that doesn't expire until 2036?

Uninformed people are always saying a GOR can be broken but it has never happened. Unless the GOR is near expiration.

There are two conferences whose GORs are going to expire in the next 2 years. The B12 and the P12. Guess what conferences schools are leaving or looking to leave?
Tom, I hear you but I doubt this runaway train is going to stop and pause because of the GOR. I think the potential riches vs the buyout will be the key to the equation to get us to the end game with the ACC as the last piece of the puzzle.

I have no idea if that happens in 2 hours or 5 years but it's going to happen.

Anyone see his this end well for us? I don’t. Only hope is to land in the BIG eastern division. I’d put about a 5% chance of that happening.

I think the only way we can survive is JW connection to ESPN and if ESPN pushes for us.

I think the worst case would be getting left behind in the ACC with Miami, Duke, Wake, Pitt, and BC. At that point I think it would be best to stay and add some combo of UConn, Temple. Cincinnati, West Virginia, UCF, USF. That is a solid BBall league and is like Big East quality football wise.

ND must be irate because they've been checkmated into probably joining the Big 10 with their kissing cousin USC at home there now.

Buckle up, we're going to see some real turbulence for the BC/Syracuse/Pitt type schools now

Big East basketball with a football conference with BC, Pitt, WVU, Georgia Tech, Ok St, KSU, Kansas, ASU, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, UCF and Cincinnati.

USC Women's Soccer is going to be traveling to Piscataway for soccer is just incredible.
As a former NJ resident, traveling to Piscataway from anywhere is just incredible. Oops, wrong thread.

It doesn't make sense.

I think a 24 team Southern centric SEC TV contract/media right deal could rival the NFL

Tom, I hear you but I doubt this runaway train is going to stop and pause because of the GOR. I think the potential riches vs the buyout will be the key to the equation to get us to the end game with the ACC as the last piece of the puzzle.

I have no idea if that happens in 2 hours or 5 years but it's going to happen.
People have been saying GORs are going to be broken shortly for at least a decade. If the ACC GOR expired in 2024 instead of 2036, I would be on board with this way of thinking.

But it doesn't. This isn't going to happen. The only way ACC schools are leaving the conference before 2034 or so is if the conference votes to dissolve. And I don't see the B1G and SEC wanting enough ACC schools to get the conference to dissolve.

I am very interested to know how what the bylaws of the ACC say about dissolution. The Big East definitely required a 2/3 majority. If the same is true of the ACC, it is going to take 10 schools. That is a lot of life rafts to throw.

It doesn't make sense.

Agree with that but at the same time the SEC will want to keep the B1G out of the South. If the SEC just stopped at UNC and VA Tech, IMO the B1G would go after UVA, Duke, Clemson, GA Tech, FSU, and maybe Miami. That gets the B1G in every state.

ESPN just got marginalized

Big time. Question is does ESPN have the $$ and desire to prop up the ACC now and make sure they are still at the forefront along with Fox and CBS for D1 college football.

I think a 24 team Southern centric SEC TV contract/media right deal could rival the NFL
yeah, you add the likes of Clemson, Miami FSU etc, the money for that will be insane and would make splitting the pie up with more schools easily worth it.

ACC needs to bring in 5 of the best remaining PAC-12 schools at this point.

Oregon (best football by far)
Washington
ASU
Arizona
Stanford

You want to leave spot 20 for the ND pipe dream? Fine.

I don't think the Big Ten wants Syracuse. I think our only chance of relevance is that there are 3 "MegaConferences". We are definitely one of the 60. But I do not think we are one of 40.

I actually think our path to success in basketball is back to the Big East and our roots. It's not lost on me that we have never been better than we were in the Big East. That's our roots.

Football is a wildcard we know is on the thinnest of thin ice
Nostalgia doesn’t always lead to the best path

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom