USMNT soccer team thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yedlin made a hard tackle that was questionably a foul. Looked to me like he got the ball, but ref gave him a yellow. Like 45 seconds later he went in and made a really dumb obvious foul and got his second. He sits out the next match. He wasn't really having a good tournament anyways.

Team played very well. Zardes is maddening to watch; so inconsistent with his touches and decisions. I want more Zusi.

I like the thought of a front line of Wood, Pulisic and Jordan Morris down the line.
You did see who got the assist right? Zusi does not have enough athleticism to play at the international levee outside of concacaf. Zardes does and his workfare is amazing. Sure he missed a goal but outside of Dempsey no one on this team is a good goal scorer.

Thought the same last night. If scouts aren't completely tuned in to Euro's, Brooks has got to at least be on the radar of some top clubs. He got to every ball first last night. The 3 v 1 that he shut down was incredible.
Dortmund is losing their captain and CB to Bayern... I wonder if brooks could get onto their radar.

You did see who got the assist right? Zusi does not have enough athleticism to play at the international levee outside of concacaf. Zardes does and his workfare is amazing. Sure he missed a goal but outside of Dempsey no one on this team is a good goal scorer.
As someone who's only seen Zardes play a few times, he is maddening. He looks like a beast, does some great things and then bungles a scoring chance. He looks like a guy, that if it ever clicks, could be a stud.

It was a great night to be a USMNT fan! Great result to move us on (despite DY being a bone head and forcing us to play with 10 for the 2nd half). And the icing on the cake was the second matches result making us the Group A Winner! Boom.

Great to see Klinsmann stick with a lineup, especially the backline. They played very well. Brooks has been playing well but was as an absolute beast last night. Love the work rate out of Wood and Zardes.

Great to see Klinsmann stick with a lineup, especially the backline. They played very well. Brooks has been playing well but was as an absolute beast last night. Love the work rate out of Wood and Zardes.

Wood was absolutely grown out there. He wanted that game last night. Like our lax team it was head, heart, hustle from him.

Zardes was everywhere last night. He covered some ground out there, made himself a pest defensively, and stayed cool doing what he needed to do on the wing for the assist. Seemed like he ran a half-marathon in all.

That was about as complete of a performance by the USMNT that one could ask for. Great win and I'm excited for Thursday night. Wish I were in the Pac-NW, would love to be in Seattle.

Edit: not sure he got any love this thread, but Brad Guzan. Some big stops. The back-to-back stops...

As someone who's only seen Zardes play a few times, he is maddening. He looks like a beast, does some great things and then bungles a scoring chance. He looks like a guy, that if it ever clicks, could be a stud.
Precisely.

Edit: not sure he got any love this thread, but Brad Guzan. Some big stops. The back-to-back stops...

Agreed. Brooks was the headliner in the defensive side of the Match, but no doubt Guzan had some HUGE stops!

Brazil vs. Peru. FIFA has to get replay for decisions that directly determine goals. But Brazil is a shadow of what it once was

FIFA has to get replay for decisions that directly determine goals.

I agree, absolutely no reason they do not adopt a universal policy for international tournaments. It was embarrassing to have a game decided in such a controversial manner. They absolutely have to get the call right in that spot and going to video is the only way. The concept of the "4th official" failed.

I couldn't belief how long the referee took to make a decision as he was obviously talking with the 4th official and they still got it wrong.

If you are going to take 3 minutes get the call right.

Brazil was a joke. Coutinho was the only attacker on Brazil as a good a Dempsey. Brazil has lost their strikers beyond Neymar. Willian can do set pieces and nothing else. Hulk/Lucas Lima were garbage.

With that said Brazil would have beaten us. We can't beat them. Columbia vs. Argentina in the Semifinals and if the USA can beat Equador we will get Mexico. Seattle is going to be a huge HFA for our team.

I couldn't belief how long the referee took to make a decision as he was obviously talking with the 4th official and they still got it wrong.

If you are going to take 3 minutes get the call right.

Brazil was a joke. Coutinho was the only attacker on Brazil as a good a Dempsey. Brazil has lost their strikers beyond Neymar. Willian can do set pieces and nothing else. Hulk/Lucas Lima were garbage.

With that said Brazil would have beaten us. We can't beat them. Columbia vs. Argentina in the Semifinals and if the USA can beat Equador we will get Mexico. Seattle is going to be a huge HFA for our team.

When I saw Hulk come on to the forward spot I thought "desperation". He does not play like a prototypical striker and just seems to damn big to play that role effectively. But it speaks to the lack of depth Brazil actually has on their roster. They decided to save Neymar for the Olympics? Seriously? That is Brazillian arrogance right there. They still think they can dominate with a less than full strength team. You would think they learned something from the World Cup. Yeah, they made the final, but they were totally outclassed.

When I saw Hulk come on to the forward spot I thought "desperation". He does not play like a prototypical striker and just seems to damn big to play that role effectively. But it speaks to the lack of depth Brazil actually has on their roster. They decided to save Neymar for the Olympics? Seriously? That is Brazillian arrogance right there. They still think they can dominate with a less than full strength team. You would think they learned something from the World Cup. Yeah, they made the final, but they were totally outclassed.
I don't think the Neymar decision was an arrogance thing... I suspect Barcelona requested that Neymar only play one of the two tournaments and Neymar and Brazil selected the Olympics because its more important to them than Copa. The Olympics are in Brazil and I believe that Brazil has never won an Olympic gold whereas they have won plenty of Copas. Having said that you are right about the roster depth... Where are the Ronaldos, Rivaldos, Ronaldinhos, Romarios, Diegos, Robhinos, Kakas... Brazil seems to churn out talented destroyers and defenders who can run all day but outside of Neymar, Coutinho and Oscar their attacking talent has stopped coming through. I remember back in the day every Brazil team would have a couple of 18 to 20 year old geniuses with the ball who would start for any other team in the world.

I just dont how soccer is a big time sport and yet still does so many dumb things when they manage how the game is played.. running clock/1 ref/unlimited people on the offensive end/lack of replay at some events/no on the fly subs/flopping/ no penalty box/yellow-red cards etc..

They decided to save Neymar for the Olympics? Seriously? That is Brazillian arrogance right there. They still think they can dominate with a less than full strength team. You would think they learned something from the World Cup. Yeah, they made the final, but they were totally outclassed.

Barca told Neymar/Brazil that he could only play one summer tournament. He/they chose the Olympics as it is in Brazil, etc.

I just dont how soccer is a big time sport and yet still does so many dumb things when they manage how the game is played.. running clock/1 ref/unlimited people on the offensive end/lack of replay at some events/no on the fly subs/flopping/ no penalty box/yellow-red cards etc..
Is this a real post or are you just trolling or did someone hack into your account? I'll take soccer's running clock over any other US sport's non-stop interruptions for coaches timeouts and tv timeouts. We all complain that over-coaching is one of the biggest things killing college hoops yet because soccer is as far as you can get from over coaching you are going to knock it?

For the record there are 4 refs, not 3

Not even sure what unlimited people on the offensive end even means.

I do agree that there probably should be more than 3 subs but I like how it's limited subs because it again puts the burden on the players and takes power away from coaches. It also really limits overspecialization that has taken the fun out of the NFL because you have to be able to do everything at some level to start a soccer match.

No penalty box? Again not sure what this means

I agree with you on not replay at some events and flopping...

Is this a real post or are you just trolling or did someone hack into your account? I'll take soccer's running clock over any other US sport's non-stop interruptions for coaches timeouts and tv timeouts. We all complain that over-coaching is one of the biggest things killing college hoops yet because soccer is as far as you can get from over coaching you are going to knock it?

For the record there are 4 refs, not 3

Not even sure what unlimited people on the offensive end even means.

I do agree that there probably should be more than 3 subs but I like how it's limited subs because it again puts the burden on the players and takes power away from coaches. It also really limits overspecialization that has taken the fun out of the NFL because you have to be able to do everything at some level to start a soccer match.

No penalty box? Again not sure what this means

I agree with you on not replay at some events and flopping...

There are a few changes I would like to see:

1. Some sort of "backcourt" violation once the ball crosses mid-field. Or perhaps, once the ball crosses midfield you should not be able to return the ball to the goalie. This encourages more aggressive offensive behavior.

2. Automatic (w/ limited exceptions) yellow cards to any non-captain who confronts a ref/linesman to complain or campaign for a call. The behavior last night during the delay was embarrassing, even if the ref did absolutely nothing to control the situation. This should be much like ejections for arguing balls and strikes in baseball.

3. Flopping: If a player needs a trainer to come out on the pitch and there was no card shown to the other team, the "injured" player should be removed from the game for 5 minutes (or until a goal is scored). I'm sick of seeing a player look like he is dying after a foul and then, 60 seconds later he's sprinting down the field like Usain Bolt.

i dont mind a running clock, but its not really a running clock since that add on time at the end and then add on time in stoppage if needed.. just stop and start the clock as needed and dont add time on then its clear how much is left and its not arbitrary like it feels now..

i want less guys on the field and i want it more like LAX with limits on how many can go across mid field. this would open up scoring and get rid of the teams that try to stall the way to tie games when thats all they need.

as for subbing why not 3 each half or something and make it on the fly.. why are we stopping play to let some guy walk 50 yds , just let them sub from a box like LAX and have it be any time they want, do we really need some guy holding a board with 2 numbers?

and why not 1 ref each half and 2 sideline dudes each side? maybe they miss a few less offsides. i dont blame the refs on the handball last night,. the ball moves to fast at times to really tell from the distance most of the refs were.

There are a few changes I would like to see:

1. Some sort of "backcourt" violation once the ball crosses mid-field. Or perhaps, once the ball crosses midfield you should not be able to return the ball to the goalie. This encourages more aggressive offensive behavior.

2. Automatic (w/ limited exceptions) yellow cards to any non-captain who confronts a ref/linesman to complain or campaign for a call. The behavior last night during the delay was embarrassing, even if the ref did absolutely nothing to control the situation. This should be much like ejections for arguing balls and strikes in baseball.

3. Flopping: If a player needs a trainer to come out on the pitch and there was no card shown to the other team, the "injured" player should be removed from the game for 5 minutes (or until a goal is scored). I'm sick of seeing a player look like he is dying after a foul and then, 60 seconds later he's sprinting down the field like Usain Bolt.
#2 - Just watched a replay. After one warning the ref should have handed out yellow cards to anyone within 10 feet. Speaking of replays - why isn't there one?

Speaking of replays - why isn't there one?

If only there were other athletic competitions worldwide that could serve as models for implementing such advanced technology. :rolleyes:

Venezuela or Mexico - who do we want to win?

Venezuela or Mexico - who do we want to win?
I'll answer my own question. Venezuela. Fewer fans in the stands if we have to play one of them and the other reason is Mexico's first sub is wearing a man bun.

We'd want Mexico to win then.

If they are runner up, they'd play Arg, who would then play us.

i dont mind a running clock, but its not really a running clock since that add on time at the end and then add on time in stoppage if needed.. just stop and start the clock as needed and dont add time on then its clear how much is left and its not arbitrary like it feels now..

i want less guys on the field and i want it more like LAX with limits on how many can go across mid field. this would open up scoring and get rid of the teams that try to stall the way to tie games when thats all they need.

as for subbing why not 3 each half or something and make it on the fly.. why are we stopping play to let some guy walk 50 yds , just let them sub from a box like LAX and have it be any time they want, do we really need some guy holding a board with 2 numbers?

and why not 1 ref each half and 2 sideline dudes each side? maybe they miss a few less offsides. i dont blame the refs on the handball last night,. the ball moves to fast at times to really tell from the distance most of the refs were.

So what you are implying is that you want to the rules changed in one sport, that the rest of the world uses and has been using for years, to be closer to a sport that is really only played in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.