USMNT soccer team thread | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2 - Just watched a replay. After one warning the ref should have handed out yellow cards to anyone within 10 feet. Speaking of replays - why isn't there one?

The issue with reply is that you would get stoppage of play...soccer/football is type of game that relies somewhat heavily on flow...which is why you have a running clock. There are already enough stoppages due to injuries, flopping, etc. If they instituted replays it will limit the flow of the game even more. Look at American football, they use replay for just about everything now and it just becomes a major television commercial fest.

The issue with reply is that you would get stoppage of play...soccer/football is type of game that relies somewhat heavily on flow...which is why you have a running clock. There are already enough stoppages due to injuries, flopping, etc. If they instituted replays it will limit the flow of the game even more. Look at American football, they use replay for just about everything now and it just becomes a major television commercial fest.
Well in a sport where goals are few and far between, I don't think spending a couple of minutes reviewing a disputable goal is an undue burden.

So what you are implying is that you want to the rules changed in one sport, that the rest of the world uses and has been using for years, to be closer to a sport that is really only played in the US?
i want a sport that embraces dumb rules, that complains about whats bad about the sport and then refuses to fix it. almost every sport had rules that are used in one part of the world and then different in the US. maybe the US should get ahead of the curve to make it more marketable here and then maybe some of the good athletes play the sport instead of the fringe ones.

Well in a sport where goals are few and far between, I don't think spending a couple of minutes reviewing a disputable goal is an undue burden.
its a game where often one team might have zero shots on goal let alone a score.

i want a sport that embraces dumb rules, that complains about whats bad about the sport and then refuses to fix it. almost every sport had rules that are used in one part of the world and then different in the US. maybe the US should get ahead of the curve to make it more marketable here and then maybe some of the good athletes play the sport instead of the fringe ones.

The issue with your suggestion is that this is sport that the entire world plays...every continent. Here in the US, in MLS, there are players from around the world that play also a number of the USMNT play overseas...not really practical to have different rules. Finally there is a worldwide governing agency that controls football/soccer world-wide...enacts rules and enforces them...to be a legitimate league and have a chance of sustainability you must fall under that governing body...

In the Boston area for work.. Strongly considering going to see Argentina vs. Venezuela just to watch Messi live

The FS1 coverage has been so bad this game it's almost ruined it.

Almost.

Brooks

Was again everywhere tonight. Unfortunately he was also right there in the 91' minute with a deflection that almost made me soil myself.

Excellent result again. Been watching soccer since England/Wales kicked off at 9 this morning. What a day. This is when being a public educator really pays off. Fortunately I didn't raise my first brew until kickoff in Seattle, otherwise I never would have made it.

Now if Venezuela springs the upset I will gladly take the more favorable matchup on paper. Still, I love the prospect of our team taking on Messi and company for a spot in the final.

Almost.

I like JP. He's our good luck charm. He's also been pissed on so many time over the years.

Almost.
Was it just me or did the main camera seem a long way from the field?

First good job by the USA. That was a solid win.
Second, what a dirty team Ecuador is. They made a lot of cheap challenges and they went after knees several times. That team acts like a CONCACAF flop city team with all the physical play. That team should have been booked way more.

Third, what a joke the new rule is that gave Jones a red card. He barely tapped the face and got sent off when the reckless challenge by Valecia could have injured Bedoya.

Fourth, without Jones/Wood/Bedoya the Semifinals will be tough. I bet Bedoya is replaced by Zusi in the starting XI. I have no idea what Klinsmann will do for Jones and Wood. I guess Dagbe for Jones and the awful Wondo for Wood.

First good job by the USA. That was a solid win.
Second, what a dirty team Ecuador is. They made a lot of cheap challenges and they went after knees several times. That team acts like a CONCACAF flop city team with all the physical play. That team should have been booked way more.

Third, what a joke the new rule is that gave Jones a red card. He barely tapped the face and got sent off when the reckless challenge by Valecia could have injured Bedoya.

Fourth, without Jones/Wood/Bedoya the Semifinals will be tough. I bet Bedoya is replaced by Zusi in the starting XI. I have no idea what Klinsmann will do for Jones and Wood. I guess Dagbe for Jones and the awful Wondo for Wood.
It's only Argentina. We'll be fine.

Yes, Zusi for Bedoya.
Probably Beckerman for Jones.
Give me one of the youngsters, Nagbe or Pulisic or BOTH. No Wondo, no thanks.
Yedlin will be back, no?
We need a healthy Brooks!

US Soccer put in a formal appeal for the cards to Jones and Wood. Let's see what happens. We have some solid options off the bench if nothing chnages. Love how Wood has been playing though...

RE: Jones protest, read amended Law 12 which went into effect June 1. Says that contact which is “minimal and negligible” is not a red card.

If it is changed to yellow, he will still be suspended.

RE: Jones protest, read amended Law 12 which went into effect June 1. Says that contact which is “minimal and negligible” is not a red card.

If it is changed to yellow, he will still be suspended.
I thi k Jones has a legit chance to win his appeal. Wood isn't going to win IMO.

those guys wouldnt even have gotten a timeout in grade school for slapping at each other like that yet soccer throws one out of the game.

those guys wouldnt even have gotten a timeout in grade school for slapping at each other like that yet soccer throws one out of the game.
Yea, Ive gotten more and more into soccer recently but weak stuff like that is a major turnoff for the sport imo.

Changes for the next match appear to be
Johnson back to the left back
Yedlin replacing Besler starting at right back.
Zardes moving up front to play with Dempsey
Zusi replacing Wood and playing the Zardes midfield role.
Beckerman replacing Jones.

Then the final change will be Dagbe/Pulisic in the Midfleid or starting Besler and 2-4-5 with 3 CBs against 2nd ranked Argentina.

Status
Not open for further replies.