USMNT soccer team thread | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
epic beatdown.

we are not in Argentina's stratosphere.

on Messi's free kick, our goalie looked like he had a beer and sandwich in his hand as he tells his buddies...watch this, hes going to score here & its going to be awesome.

to me, a total soccer outsider, jurgen has done a nice job of elevating our team. weve been further in the WC and the Copa than they've been in a while...if ever.

surprised at all the hate.

anywho, can they win the bronze v either team??

or are both Colombia and chile ready to bring the pain??

or will they even care theyre there after tonight??

2002 we made the World Cup QFs and outplayed Germany in that 1-0 loss we had.

Klinsmann has brought in some nice talent from German duel citizens but his tactics suck and he is too conservative last night was embarrassing. We are likely playing Chile on Saturday as their best player is suspended tonight against Columbia.

We will be underdogs against either team as Columbia already beat us 2-0 the first match and Vidal will be back for Chile next match.

Until our best players go to Europe and get PT there o n good club we will be 2nd tier worldwide.

epic beatdown.

on Messi's free kick, our goalie looked like he had a beer and sandwich in his hand as he tells his buddies...watch this, hes going to score here & its going to be awesome.

to me, a total soccer outsider, jurgen has done a nice job of elevating our team. weve been further in the WC and the Copa than they've been in a while...if ever.

anywho, can they win the bronze v either team??

or are both Colombia and chile ready to bring the pain??

or will they even care theyre there after tonight??
As someone who actually follows soccer...
Bruce Arena took the US to the quarters of the world cup in Japorea where they played toe to toe with Germany who ended up making the finals if I remember correctly.

Bob Bradley (coach before Klinsie) also made the round of 16 at the world cup in SA which is as far as Jurgen got us in Brazil... and Bradley also got us to the finals of the confed cup beating #1 team in the world Spain in the process.

Steve Sampson (coach before Arena) got us to the semis of Copa in South America and beat Argentina in doing so.

So Jurgen is not more accomplished as the guys before him when it comes to tournaments... in fact he is worse because we didn't get to the finals of Gold Cup last summer for the first time I can ever remember and under Jurgen we lost to teams we have never lost to in a tournament in that same Gold Cup.

You say Jurgen has elevated our team? Compared to what? Just about any objective outsider will say that Jurgen has actually taken the US team back a decade in terms of style of play. He was brought in to bring a system of controlled possession to lead to more attacking... his teams are pretty much known or bunkering and trying to catch teams on the break. Just to throw a stat out there.. the US was the worst team in the Copa knockouts when it came to shots on goal vs shots against on goal in group play which is another indicator that we resort to D and and counter-threats, specifically the style Klinsie was brought in to eliminate. I hated Bradley but his teams played much better possession football than anything Klinsie's teams have ever shown. As soon as I saw that Beckerman, Zusi and Wondolowski were starting I knew we were playing bunker ball and any us soccer fan who follows the team closely knew it too.

Kinsman's on field performances aren't even his worst factor... of the field the dude is an a$$clown who has never ever ever ever has taken blame for anything even once, regularly throws his players under the bus and has alienated a number of players in the player pool. The best american midfielder playing today in my opinion is Benny Feilhaber and Klinsie won't call him in because they don't see eye to eye on something... whatever that is no one knows.

Sorry for the rant... not taking it out on you as you admit you don't follow soccer that closely. I'm just ready for Klinsmann to go as he's destroyed my love of watching out Nats who I used to travel to games for and support very strongly. These days I can barely watch a game.

I wouldn't bother watching the 3rd place game... its going to be a glorified friendly.

As someone who actually follows soccer...
Bruce Arena took the US to the quarters of the world cup in Japorea where they played toe to toe with Germany who ended up making the finals if I remember correctly.

Bob Bradley (coach before Klinsie) also made the round of 16 at the world cup in SA which is as far as Jurgen got us in Brazil... and Bradley also got us to the finals of the confed cup beating #1 team in the world Spain in the process.

Steve Sampson (coach before Arena) got us to the semis of Copa in South America and beat Argentina in doing so.

So Jurgen is not more accomplished as the guys before him when it comes to tournaments... in fact he is worse because we didn't get to the finals of Gold Cup last summer for the first time I can ever remember and under Jurgen we lost to teams we have never lost to in a tournament in that same Gold Cup.

You say Jurgen has elevated our team? Compared to what? Just about any objective outsider will say that Jurgen has actually taken the US team back a decade in terms of style of play. He was brought in to bring a system of controlled possession to lead to more attacking... his teams are pretty much known or bunkering and trying to catch teams on the break. Just to throw a stat out there.. the US was the worst team in the Copa knockouts when it came to shots on goal vs shots against on goal in group play which is another indicator that we resort to D and and counter-threats, specifically the style Klinsie was brought in to eliminate. I hated Bradley but his teams played much better possession football than anything Klinsie's teams have ever shown. As soon as I saw that Beckerman, Zusi and Wondolowski were starting I knew we were playing bunker ball and any us soccer fan who follows the team closely knew it too.

Kinsman's on field performances aren't even his worst factor... of the field the dude is an a$$clown who has never ever ever ever has taken blame for anything even once, regularly throws his players under the bus and has alienated a number of players in the player pool. The best american midfielder playing today in my opinion is Benny Feilhaber and Klinsie won't call him in because they don't see eye to eye on something... whatever that is no one knows.

Sorry for the rant... not taking it out on you as you admit you don't follow soccer that closely. I'm just ready for Klinsmann to go as he's destroyed my love of watching out Nats who I used to travel to games for and support very strongly. These days I can barely watch a game.

I wouldn't bother watching the 3rd place game... its going to be a glorified friendly.
hey, good stuff.

rant away, do it at me. just answer the question, and id say you did!

all my drinking Euro buddies got me into soccer, but I was strictly a WC, Euro, Champions and Premier League soccer fan.

never got into the Gold or Copa America...and certainly not MLS.

thanks for the heads up on the 3rd place game, I wont be around anyway and now I wont feel like im missing something.

going to a Brew at the Zoo event.

just took a huge life insurance policy out on the wife, gonna see if I can get her to near the gorilla cages, you know for a great selfie...

hey, good stuff.

just took a huge life insurance policy out on the wife, gonna see if I can get her to near the gorilla cages, you know for a great selfie...
Umm... good luck? I guess? :confused:

Premier League is awesome to watch... I actually enjoy it better than American sports because I can watch every Premier League game for free either on tv or on an iPad and I can't say that about a single American sport. Anyone else see something wrong with that?

2002 we made the World Cup QFs and outplayed Germany in that 1-0 loss we had.

Until our best players go to Europe and get PT there o n good club we will be 2nd tier worldwide.
Agree with this... our team performance slipped big time once Bradley, Dempsey, Jones, Altidore and a bunch go other guys came back to play in the MLS. Another interesting example to look at along those lines is Giovinco who I believe won the MLS best player award last year... well funny thing, the Italian coach didn't call him up for the Euros specifically because he plays in MLS and not in Europe. Giovinco got a decent bit of run for the Azurre the past tournaments and they are hurting for proven attacking talent this time around so it says something when they left him out.

Bradley especially is a shell of himself since he came back to MLS. As much as I hate Klinsie the biggest problem we face is the lack of proven talent playing in the best leagues.

epic beatdown.

Absolutely correct. When it comes to that first talent tier of teams in the World (Germany, France, Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Netherlands & Italy), we are the Sixers and they are the Cavaliers, Warriors, Spurs and Thunder. We may beat them in a friendly and we may even get a monumental upset in a tournament but we cannot stand in and go toe to toe with them on a consistent basis.

Don't kid yourself, your untrained eye is spot on.

Klinsmann has done a great job with this team and with the US program.

Just like the NCAA basketball season is all about March, National team soccer is all about competitions.

In the 2014 World Cup, we got out of a group that frankly, talent-wise, we had no business getting out of. Not only were we the last talented team in the group but, 25 minutes into our first game, we lost the one player that we could not afford to lose as much of our offense was built around his hold-up play.

And this year we made the semis of a tournament where every South American team, but Brazil, brought their A team.

Yet what I like the most is the fact that we are now trying to take the game to whomever we are playing rather than bunkering and countering. Against Argentina, our deficiencies were thoroughly exposed but we still tried to get forward and take the game to them. Just the fact that we can now dictate games to teams like Ecuador and Paraguary means that this team has come a long way...

Absolutely correct. When it comes to that first talent tier of teams in the World (Germany, France, Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Netherlands & Italy), we are the Sixers and they are the Cavaliers, Warriors, Spurs and Thunder. We may beat them in a friendly and we may even get a monumental upset in a tournament but we cannot stand in and go toe to toe with them on a consistent basis.

Don't kid yourself, your untrained eye is spot on.

Klinsmann has done a great job with this team and with the US program.

Just like the NCAA basketball season is all about March, National team soccer is all about competitions.

In the 2014 World Cup, we got out of a group that frankly, talent-wise, we had no business getting out of. Not only were we the last talented team in the group but, 25 minutes into our first game, we lost the one player that we could not afford to lose as much of our offense was built around his hold-up play.

And this year we made the semis of a tournament where every South American team, but Brazil, brought their A team.

Yet what I like the most is the fact that we are now trying to take the game to whomever we are playing rather than bunkering and countering. Against Argentina, our deficiencies were thoroughly exposed but we still tried to get forward and take the game to them. Just the fact that we can now dictate games to teams like Ecuador and Paraguary means that this team has come a long way...

If it's all about competitions, then we've flat-lined or regressed under Jurgy. The best thing people can point to under Klinsmann as signs of improvement are away wins in friendlies (Netherlands, Italy, Mexico, etc...), but those are simply that: friendlies.

The U.S. has reached the knockout phase of every senior level international competition singe 2007, with the exception of the 2007 Copa, where we did not bring our A team due to the Gold Cup taking priority:

2007: Gold Cup - 1st place
2009: Gold Cup - 2nd place (also a B-squad)
Confed Cup - 2nd place
2010: World Cup - Rd. of 16 (1st place in Hex qualifying)
2011: Gold Cup - 2nd place
2013: Gold Cup - 1st place
2014: World Cup - Rd. of 16 (1st place in Hex)
2015: Gold Cup - 4th place
2016: Copa America - 3rd/4th

So, there is no upward progression. One could argue that we simply beat a CONCACAF team on our home soil (Costa Rica), where we have not lost to them in decades, allowing passage to the Quarter-Finals, as a draw against 44th-ranked Paraguay was sufficient.

Losing to Jamaica last year in the semis was a joke, and the 2018 WCQ process was nearly over before it started after the Guatemala loss and we're still not assured of making the Hex if Guatemala beats T&T in Sept., though goal differential and HFA over T&T will surely be in our favor for the decider on Sept. 6.

If it's all about competitions, then we've flat-lined or regressed under Jurgy. The best thing people can point to under Klinsmann as signs of improvement are away wins in friendlies (Netherlands, Italy, Mexico, etc...), but those are simply that: friendlies.

The U.S. has reached the knockout phase of every senior level international competition singe 2007, with the exception of the 2007 Copa, where we did not bring our A team due to the Gold Cup taking priority:

Confed Cup - 2nd place

So, there is no upward progression. One could argue that we simply beat a CONCACAF team on our home soil (Costa Rica), where we have not lost to them in decades, allowing passage to the Quarter-Finals, as a draw against 44th-ranked Paraguay was sufficient.

Losing to Jamaica last year in the semis was a joke, and the 2018 WCQ process was nearly over before it started after the Guatemala loss and we're still not assured of making the Hex if Guatemala beats T&T in Sept., though goal differential and HFA over T&T will surely be in our favor for the decider on Sept. 6.
I agree with this. The stuff about 2018 WC not to worry about is Guatemala has to travel to T&T and T&T beat them on the road.
So I think as long as we beat SVI on the road we will get to the Hex but that loss at Guatemala was a joke.

Klinsmann needs to get over his feud with Benny Feilhaiber and needs to realize we need Dempsey and don't Donovan him.

This Copa America hasn't been that great. I still pissed we lost to Jamaica in Atlanta last year and lost the ConFed playoff to Mexico.

Our style hasn't been what Klinsmann promised. We are still playing the 4-5-1 garbage against good teams. That Argentina game was pathetic. We got 0 shots on frame.

Klinsmann should get credit for Brooks. He got him and if Julian Green becomes a player him as well. Chandler/Johnson were already on the US radar before he took over. His tactics suck though but I will say unlike most previous US managers he does challenge the team with tough friendlies. The previous coaches liked playing CONCACAF teams at home in friendlies for the money. Klinsmann plays a lot of matches in Europe. I like that.

Confed Cup - 2nd place

Group was much tougher in 2014 than it was in 2010...getting out of the group in 2014 was a much bigger accomplishment...

And making the Copa America semis trumps any success in the Gold Cup...

This team has played better than the sum of its parts in both tournaments.

I like the way the team is playing and the direction in which it is heading...

Costa Rica made the quarters of the World Cup but I guess beating them doesn't count for anything since they are a CONCACAF team...

Group was much tougher in 2014 than it was in 2010...getting out of the group in 2014 was a much bigger accomplishment...

Costa Rica made the quarters of the World Cup but I guess beating them doesn't count for anything since they are a CONCACAF team...
2014-Klinsmann gets credit for beating Ghana. Portugal are notorious for choking in big tournament. We were dominated by Germany and Howard played the best match I have seen from a GK against Belgium.

2015- we stepped back. The USA had never lost to Jamaica on US soil and we lost the Gold Cup semis to them. Then we lost the 3rd place match to Panama. We also lost that WCQ to Guatemala a team we had never lost too before.

We are cutting it to close to comfort for WC qualifying.

Klinsmann tactics suck. We can't play a 4-3-3. He has scouted Germany really well I give him that.

Costa Rica is the equivalent of Switzerland in UEFA. They barely beat Greece in the round of 16. They beat your Italians on an awful goal in 2014. Costa Rica has more players on good European clubs than we do. Until our best players stop playing in MLS and get on UEFA UCL teams we will be a team in the 20-30s in the FIFA rankings.

Klinsmann needs to get over his feud with Benny Feilhaiber and needs to realize we need Dempsey and don't Donovan him.

He has had nothing but praise for Dempsey in this tournament. No reason to think he won't continue to be included if his level of play stays high.

This Copa America hasn't been that great. I still pissed we lost to Jamaica in Atlanta last year and lost the ConFed playoff to Mexico.

Our style hasn't been what Klinsmann promised. We are still playing the 4-5-1 garbage against good teams. That Argentina game was pathetic. We got 0 shots on frame.

Actually, it is. Just because we couldn't get out of our own end, doesn't mean they weren't trying. This was not Spain in 2009 where we planted 9 guys inside the 18 for 70 minutes.

Saying the Argentina game was pathetic is like being a Colgate fan and being upset that you got smoked by 40 in the Dome. Argentina is simply much better then we are.

And we simply don't have enough depth to overcome not having Wood, Jones and Bedoya. I still think we lose with those three but perhaps they don't carve us up as easily as they did.

Beckerman over Jones? Zusi and Bedoya a wash? Seriously?

2014-Klinsmann gets credit for beating Ghana. Portugal are notorious for choking in big tournament. We were dominated by Germany and Howard played the best match I have seen from a GK against Belgium.

You don't get to not give him credit for the result against Portugal. You cannot pick and choose to make your case. Bottom line is we got out of a group we had no business getting out of.

2015- we stepped back. The USA had never lost to Jamaica on US soil and we lost the Gold Cup semis to them. Then we lost the 3rd place match to Panama. We also lost that WCQ to Guatemala a team we had never lost too before.

We are cutting it to close to comfort for WC qualifying.

Agreed, 2015 WCQ was rough and the Gold Cup was awful and people were right to question him.

Klinsmann tactics suck. We can't play a 4-3-3. He has scouted Germany really well I give him that.

To his credit, he switched back to a 4-4-2...

Costa Rica is the equivalent of Switzerland in UEFA. They barely beat Greece in the round of 16. They beat your Italians on an awful goal in 2014. Costa Rica has more players on good European clubs than we do. Until our best players stop playing in MLS and get on UEFA UCL teams we will be a team in the 20-30s in the FIFA rankings.

I agree that guys need to be in Europe but they have to be in Europe getting playing time, not sitting on the bench. They need to be on the right team in the right situation. I would rather see a guy playing in MLS then sitting the bench overseas.

Actually, I misspoke, as we lost home friendlies in 2011 & 2015. We have not lost a competitive match (Marlboro Cup notwithstanding) to CRC on home soil since 1985.

Btw, I would have taken a last place showing in Copa America for either a 2015 Gold Cup title or a win over Mexico in the play-off. Just being part of the '09 Confed Cup was huge for the program.

Actually, I misspoke, as we lost home friendlies in 2011 & 2015. We have not lost a competitive match (Marlboro Cup notwithstanding) to CRC on home soil since 1985.

Btw, I would have taken a last place showing in Copa America for either a 2015 Gold Cup title or a win over Mexico in the play-off. Just being part of the '09 Confed Cup was huge for the program.

That is like saying you'd rather win the NIT than be in the Final Four of the NCAA tournament.

Copa America is a big boy tournament. The Gold Cup garners no respect.

And the best part about the Confed cup is getting to play in the world cup venues. The games are glorified friendlies. Nothing more.

And if we had won the 2015 Gold Cup and finished last in our Copa America group, you'd be screaming bloody murder about how Klinsmann sucks and needs to be fired...

And if we had won the 2015 Gold Cup and finished last in our Copa America group, you'd be screaming bloody murder about how Klinsmann sucks and needs to be fired...

Quite possibly. These things are not mutually exclusive. There is nothing preventing success in Gold Cups & Copa Americas. And we are at the point where we should not have to compromise. Have been there for 15+ years in fact.

If forced to choose, however, the ultimate goal is to perform as well as possible on the grandest stage of soccer, which is the World Cup. There is more to be gained in my opinion from competing on Russian soil for 10-14 days in 2017 (assuming we qualify for 2018) than a positive showing on our home soil.

You don't get to not give him credit for the result against Portugal. You cannot pick and choose to make your case. Bottom line is we got out of a group we had no business getting out of.

Agreed, 2015 WCQ was rough and the Gold Cup was awful and people were right to question him.

To his credit, he switched back to a 4-4-2...

I agree that guys need to be in Europe but they have to be in Europe getting playing time, not sitting on the bench. They need to be on the right team in the right situation. I would rather see a guy playing in MLS then sitting the bench overseas.
I would rather play in the confederations Cup than play in the Copa America.

I get the Gold cup is basically Mexico/USA/Panama/Costa Rica /Jamaica but I matters more for The USA to get to the ConFed Cup.

We are playing at home this Copa America finishing in the top 4 should happen. We needed to make the Final for a shocking result.

the difference i saw was that while we didnt get shots on goal like we needed there were plays to be made that we just didnt complete. and you have to wonder how the game goes when the one guy other than dempsey that created and offense the whole tourney was sitting.. depth will always be our big issue. it seemed like every time we had a run of passes we missed a simple one and the ball came back our way. still if Messi was in the middle of our offense and nothing else changes i think we probably lose 3-2 instead of 4-0 . the goals he caused we had the same plays to make and couldnt do it

I would rather play in the confederations Cup than play in the Copa America.

I get the Gold cup is basically Mexico/USA/Panama/Costa Rica /Jamaica but I matters more for The USA to get to the ConFed Cup.

We are playing at home this Copa America finishing in the top 4 should happen. We needed to make the Final for a shocking result.

If the Gold Cup is the NIT, then the Confed cup is the pre-season NIT. It means absolutely nothing.

The pecking order is:

World Cup

European Championships

Copa America

Gold Cup

Confed cup

the difference i saw was that while we didnt get shots on goal like we needed there were plays to be made that we just didnt complete. and you have to wonder how the game goes when the one guy other than dempsey that created and offense the whole tourney was sitting.. depth will always be our big issue. it seemed like every time we had a run of passes we missed a simple one and the ball came back our way. still if Messi was in the middle of our offense and nothing else changes i think we probably lose 3-2 instead of 4-0 . the goals he caused we had the same plays to make and couldnt do it

The difference was that Argentina pressed very high and very hard and we were unable to cope. We simply cannot yet play at that level where everyone on the field has the ability to play one- and two-touch soccer with the level of speed and accuracy required to break that type of pressure.

You need to make up your mind. Are we second tier or should we be expected to make the final four of a tournament that includes Argentina, Brazil, Columbia and Chile?

Home or not, the talent gap between us and those four countries is enormous.

You need to make up your mind. Are we second tier or should we be expected to make the final four of a tournament that includes Argentina, Brazil, Columbia and Chile?

Home or not, the talent gap between us and those four countries is enormous.
HFA advantage is huge. We didn't beat any of those teams.
We beat Costa Rica, Paraguay, Ecuador at home . Good wins but not unexpected wins. Once we drew Ecuador in QFs then making the SFs was not unexpected. Don't play semantics the results this tournament have been as expected.

I expected to make t0 the knockout rounds and then depending on the draw do damage. Then, once we drew Ecuador winning was expected especially in Seattle. That garbage on Tuesday was just awful. I had no problem losing but we looked pathetic. Take the armband from Michael Bradley.

Also winning the Confederations Cup would matter more than winning Copa America at home.

The Gold Cup is our way into the ConFed Cup. If the USA cared about the Copa America they would accept the invitations that CONBEMOL has given us a lot fo times but the USA hasn't accepted outside of 2007 and they sent a C list team which pissed them off and they haven't invited us since. Mexico takes Copa America seriously. The USA hasn't outside of 1995 and this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.