USMNT soccer team thread | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also winning the Confederations Cup would matter more than winning Copa America at home.

Uh no. Fortunately, Klinsmann understands that and brings his A team to a tournament that matters in the world's eyes.

The Gold Cup is our way into the ConFed Cup. If the USA cared about the Copa America they would accept the invitations that CONBEMOL has given us a lot fo times but the USA hasn't accepted outside of 2007 and they sent a C list team which pissed them off and they haven't invited us since. Mexico takes Copa America seriously. The USA hasn't outside of 1995 and this year.

Narrow-minded, concacaf-centric view of the world.

Guess what, Concacaf sucks and garners zero respect.

Klinsmann gets that

US needs to get Copa America to happen same time as Euros and to be a combined Conmebol, concacaf tournament so we get to compete against some of world's best in meaningful games in between World Cups...

HFA advantage is huge. We didn't beat any of those teams.
We beat Costa Rica, Paraguay, Ecuador at home . Good wins but not unexpected wins. Once we drew Ecuador in QFs then making the SFs was not unexpected. Don't play semantics the results this tournament have been as expected.

I expected to make t0 the knockout rounds and then depending on the draw do damage. Then, once we drew Ecuador winning was expected especially in Seattle. That garbage on Tuesday was just awful. I had no problem losing but we looked pathetic. Take the armband from Michael Bradley.

We are not better than Paraguay, Costa Rica or Ecuador. We had to play well to get results in all three of those games and we did.

Talent-wise, those were all 50-50 games. Wins were not expected. In fact, you saw how we struggled in 10 v 10 vs Ecuador. That argues to how they had more individual talent but we were more organized as a team.

I don't think we would have won regardless of what line-up we put out there but playing 9 v 11 is never gonna get a win. Neither Beckerman nor Wondowski should have been on the field. Both are way too limited.

I thought Xardes was our best player and Xardes and Yedlin on the right flank were the lone bright spot that caused them some issues.

Uh no. Fortunately, Klinsmann understands that and brings his A team to a tournament that matters in the world's eyes.

Narrow-minded, concacaf-centric view of the world.

Guess what, Concacaf sucks and garners zero respect.

Klinsmann gets that

US needs to get Copa America to happen same time as Euros and to be a combined Conmebol, concacaf tournament so we get to compete against some of world's best in meaningful games in between World Cups...
The CONMEBOL didn't invite us to the 2011 or 2015 Copa America because of what we did in 2007,.

They invited Japan in 2011 and were replaced by Costa Rica and in 2015 they invited Jamaica.

That isn't a Concacaf centric view of the world. it is a fact. Now I bet Klinsmann wouldn't do what Bradley did in 2007 but it hurt us with CONMEBOL.

Gold Cup gets us to Confederations Cups. This special Copa America isn't going to happen again. Its a one off for the 100th anniversary. We aren't going to see it again. The next Copa America in 2019 in Brazil we aren't likely getting invited. It will be Mexico and 1 TBA. I guess we could be that TBA team but unless Klinsmann begs for it.

We are not better than Paraguay, Costa Rica or Ecuador. We had to play well to get results in all three of those games and we did.

Talent-wise, those were all 50-50 games. Wins were not expected. In fact, you saw how we struggled in 10 v 10 vs Ecuador. That argues to how they had more individual talent but we were more organized as a team.

I don't think we would have won regardless of what line-up we put out there but playing 9 v 11 is never gonna get a win. Neither Beckerman nor Wondowski should have been on the field. Both are way too limited.

I thought Xardes was our best player and Xardes and Yedlin on the right flank were the lone bright spot that caused them some issues.
HFA made us favored in every single of those matchups. We were favored over Paraguay, Costa Rica, Ecuador. If we played in a neutral country your right but you are ignoring HFA. HFA in soccer is the greatest advantage in all of sports.

If you want to change the narrative that beating Costa Rica/Paraguay/Ecuador at home shouldn't be expected we aren't even a WC quality team.

USA hasn't lost a competitive WCQ home match before this Copa America since 2001 to Costa Rica. We haven't lost a home WCQ match since then. We should expect to beat Costa Rica/Paraguay/Ecuador in competitive home matches. We lost the 2009/2011 Gold Cup to Mexico and 2015 to JAMAICA.

Sorry, I am not impressed winning those matches at home. Beat a Columbia/Argentina at home yeah that is shocking. You want to sell beating pier teams at home is good when it should be expected.

If the Gold Cup is the NIT, then the Confed cup is the pre-season NIT. It means absolutely nothing.

The pecking order is:

World Cup

European Championships

Copa America

Gold Cup

Confed cup
this makes sense to me.

obviously for the US, the Euro doesn't matter, but I get why you put it that way (grand scheme of things)

I cant see how a tourney with Argentina, & Brazil and the rest of South America as well as our normal foes in the Central etc...is not #2 on our pecking order behind the WC.

all these other tourneys is where you lose a football, baseball, basketball & hockey guy like myself.

is this for the whole hemisphere?? no...just for teams north of panama or something. what??!!

I get the 4x4 symmetry of the Euro and WC...but just what the F are they doing in the Americas??

Unless this Copa America 16 team tournament is every even year the same as the Euros then it won't happen again.

This was a 1 time event for the 100 year anniversary. Copa America is every year after the World Cup now. It will be next in 2019 in Brazil.

I don't disagree playing these matches help the MNT program but I value the ConFed Cup over the Copa America. As until we develop good talent we will never win the Copa America.

HFA made us favored in every single of those matchups. We were favored over Paraguay, Costa Rica, Ecuador. If we played in a neutral country your right but you are ignoring HFA. HFA in soccer is the greatest advantage in all of sports.

If you want to change the narrative that beating Costa Rica/Paraguay/Ecuador at home shouldn't be expected we aren't even a WC quality team.

USA hasn't lost a competitive WCQ home match before this Copa America since 2001 to Costa Rica. We haven't lost a home WCQ match since then. We should expect to beat Costa Rica/Paraguay/Ecuador in competitive home matches. We lost the 2009/2011 Gold Cup to Mexico and 2015 to JAMAICA.

Sorry, I am not impressed winning those matches at home. Beat a Columbia/Argentina at home yeah that is shocking. You want to sell beating pier teams at home is good when it should be expected.

I'm not familiar with any competitive home loss to CRC prior to 1985.

I'm not familiar with any competitive home loss to CRC prior to 1985.
Yeah I got Costa Rica and Honduras mixed up.
We lost a 2002 WCQ home match to Honduras. My memory had it as Costa Rica because I remember they won the Hex but actually the USA gave Costa Rica there only loss and it was Honduras that beat us at RFK in 9-2001.

I knew we lost a home 2002 WCQ match because we cut it close to not qualifying. Since 2001 we are undefeated at home in WCQ matches.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...ome-defeat-to-honduras-in-world-cup-qualifier

What Bedoya!!! Playing better D on Bobby Wood than Colombia.

Thanks for ruining a beautiful chance.

Asshat

What Bedoya!!! Playing better D on Bobby Wood than Colombia.

Thanks for ruining a beautiful chance.

Asshat

Couldn't have chosen a worse time to make a diagonal run through the box.

Not sure if he was screened, but did he ever see Bobby's through run onto the ball? That's the only excuse I can think of for such a boneheaded play.

Deuce was robbed on his . He was going to torch that upper 90, too.

Not without chances, and the US is applying more pressure. Still a game with plenty of time left.

Yedlin is symbolic of US Soccer - athletically superior than 99% of the guys he marks but has the touch of a rapist.

If his skill was half that of his athleticism he'd be starting on a top flight European team.

Running clock in soccer is a joke
th

Running clock in soccer is a joke

So are the theatrics of certain international teams. Has to turn off so many Americans from the sport.

Orozco pushes Arias' face, dude goes down like he took an open shot from Tyson in his prime. Orozco can push that hard? Someone get him in the Octagon. But this is in extra time, and Colombia is milking the clock. Should have added an extra minute right there. Heck, at the final whistle US has possession in Colombias half and pushing forward. Should have allowed that possession to play out.

Minutes earlier how about that sideline tackle? Colombia player gets up, walks on to the field, then drops and rolls. Cue the 90 second hamstring stretch. Tick, tick, tick goes that clock.

Our roster just doesn't have a lot of elite talent. I was happy Klinsmann subbed Bradley off.

The tournament was a B- result. It developed the back 4 Johnson-Cameron-Brooks-Yedlin.
The Midfield blows on the roster right now. #FreeBenny
Dempsey/Wood/Zardes are solid Forwards.

I wasn't happy with the lack of Dagbe and little usage of Pulisic. I hope Klinsmann takes the Southampton job let him coach at St. Mary's Park.

The tournament result wasn't anything special. 3 wins 3 losses.

Our roster just doesn't have a lot of elite talent. I was happy Klinsmann subbed Bradley off.

The tournament was a B- result. It developed the back 4 Johnson-Cameron-Brooks-Yedlin.
The Midfield blows on the roster right now. #FreeBenny
Dempsey/Wood/Zardes are solid Forwards.

I wasn't happy with the lack of Dagbe and little usage of Pulisic. I hope Klinsmann takes the Southampton job let him coach at St. Mary's Park.

The tournament result wasn't anything special. 3 wins 3 losses.

Solid take. Pretty much sums it up right there.

It's great. American football takes 3 times the game time to play. 3 times. Ridiculous.

Teams are also charged timeouts during the last two minutes for injuries so people don't fake them. Hint hint.

Teams are also charged timeouts during the last two minutes for injuries so people don't fake them. Hint hint.

When did that become a rule? After the Patiots exploited it, I assume. Willie McGinest?

this makes sense to me.

obviously for the US, the Euro doesn't matter, but I get why you put it that way (grand scheme of things)

I cant see how a tourney with Argentina, & Brazil and the rest of South America as well as our normal foes in the Central etc...is not #2 on our pecking order behind the WC.

all these other tourneys is where you lose a football, baseball, basketball & hockey guy like myself.

is this for the whole hemisphere?? no...just for teams north of panama or something. what??!!

I get the 4x4 symmetry of the Euro and WC...but just what the F are they doing in the Americas??

The World Cup is the global championship but every region has their own championship. Europe has the European Championship.

South America (Conmebol - name of the South American soccer federation) has the Copa America.

North and Central America (Concacaf) have the Gold Cup.

South American only has 10 countries so, since 1993, they have always invited 2 additional teams to get to 12. This year's addition is a special 100 anniversary edition and includes 6 teams from Concacaf to make it a 16 team tournament.

The World Cup is the BCS. The Euros and the Copa America are the Sugar, Rose, Orange and Fiesta. The Gold Cup and the other regional championships are the minor bowls.

This is because Europe and South America are the P5 conferences and everyone else is a mid-major.

However, it gets more complicated when it comes to the Copa America. Everyone brings their A team to the World Cup. Everyone brings their A team to the European championships. This year everyone, except Brazil, brought their A team to the Copa America.

But that isn't always the case and the reason is the timing of the Copa America. This year it is halfway through the World Cup cycle but it is usually played the year after the World Cup.

The problem with that is that players get virtually no time off during World Cup years.

And, since South America national teams have a good chunk of the best players in the world, they already play a ton of games between whatever league they play in, Champions or Europa league, national team qualifiers, national team friendlies etc. As a result, asking players to give up two consecutive summers is something neither they, nor their clubs, are keen on. So, what has started happening is that countries were only sending their B and C teams to the Copa America.

When everyone brings their A teams, Copa America is on par with the European championship. However, even with B and C teams, it is still miles ahead of the Gold Cup or the Confed Cup.

The World Cup is the global championship but every region has their own championship. Europe has the European Championship.

South America (Conmebol - name of the South American soccer federation) has the Copa America.

North and Central America (Concacaf) have the Gold Cup.

South American only has 10 countries so, since 1993, they have always invited 2 additional teams to get to 12. This year's addition is a special 100 anniversary edition and includes 6 teams from Concacaf to make it a 16 team tournament.

The World Cup is the BCS. The Euros and the Copa America are the Sugar, Rose, Orange and Fiesta. The Gold Cup and the other regional championships are the minor bowls.

This is because Europe and South America are the P5 conferences and everyone else is a mid-major.

However, it gets more complicated when it comes to the Copa America. Everyone brings their A team to the World Cup. Everyone brings their A team to the European championships. This year everyone, except Brazil, brought their A team to the Copa America.

But that isn't always the case and the reason is the timing of the Copa America. This year it is halfway through the World Cup cycle but it is usually played the year after the World Cup.

The problem with that is that players get virtually no time off during World Cup years.

And, since South America national teams have a good chunk of the best players in the world, they already play a ton of games between whatever league they play in, Champions or Europa league, national team qualifiers, national team friendlies etc. As a result, asking players to give up two consecutive summers is something neither they, nor their clubs, are keen on. So, what has started happening is that countries were only sending their B and C teams to the Copa America.

When everyone brings their A teams, Copa America is on par with the European championship. However, even with B and C teams, it is still miles ahead of the Gold Cup or the Confed Cup.
good stuff!! thanks!!

1 quick question, is there really an A team and a B team?? or is like September baseball when the whole 40 man roster can be 'called up' and you happen to go to the game where Jeter, Bernie, Tino and O'Neill are all sitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.