UVA Attendance | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UVA Attendance

Not trying to be a downer but I doubt attendance wows us. It is UVA football, after all

First trip to the Dome as an ACC member. We just got their OC. Its a good opponent. Not a great one but hardly Wagner.

5,000 more people than yesterday.

Not trying to be a downer but I doubt attendance wows us. It is UVA football, after all

I generally agree with this sentiment. UVA Football doesn't bring any excitement at all for the casual fan. Moreover, it's certainly great to kick off this season 3-0, but again, for those casuals, the teams we beat to get here are not getting anyone of them too bothered either. UL and Purdue are not big names and both are 1-2 respectively. UConn is pathetic and the casuals associate that program with hoops anyways.

Unfortunately, being such a poor program for so long has left much residual damage and will take a lot more winning. Perhaps being ranked will assist and be a good trigger point. If we can get to 5-0 and into the Top 25, I could then see more of the local/casual interest being piqued to the point of tangible significance.

Have to miss UVA for a wedding. Its a sore subject to put it lightly.

Don’t disappoint me guys!
I have to go to Philly the day of the ND game to go to a reception for a wedding that happened this weekend..

I will be shocked if we don’t have at least 42,000 in the dome on Friday night especially the way this game ended.
One thing you people are not taking into consideration is electronic ticketing. It's a royal pain in the Butt. You don't know what I had to go through to go to the L'Ville game. I am sure that there are lots of people who just don't want to put up with all the issues of electronic ticketing. I for one have had it with passwords. I refuse to set up accounts with with doctors, grocery stores, deli's and just about everybody else who is trying to get my data. One of my doctor's actually wanted my driver's license number. What the hell for? I wouldn't last long in China. My grocery store actually want's me to electronically order deli meats with a passwords etc. I shouldn't eat that crap anyway. Processed meats are deadly for you.
I needed a tire. I used to go to BJ's pick out the tire and they'd put it on the car. Now, I'm told I have to order the tire with passwords etc and they would let me know when the tire was in. I went to Pep Boys and got a tire on New Year's Day.

Another thing is the length of the game. Do you realize yesterday's game lasted over four hours. Four Hours! When I first had season tickets, I think games started at 1:30 and I can remember games ending before 4:00. Yesterday, I was at an event and could glance up at the TV showing the game. It seemed like every time I looked up they were showing commercials. Who wants to sit four hours for a game? That's my rant. It aint easy going to a football game. Better to record the game and fast forward through the crap.

Last edited:
Another thing is the length of the game. Do you realize yesterday's game lasted over four hours. Four Hours! When I first had season tickets, I think games started at 1:30 and I can remember games ending before 4:00. Yesterday, I was at an event and could glance up at the TV showing the game. It seemed like every time I looked up they were showing commercials. Who wants to sit four hours for a game? That's my rant. It aint easy going to a football game. Better to record the game and fast forward through the crap.
Why is being entertained for 4 hours so much worse than being entertained for 3 hours?

Without robust marketing this is the equation -

More wins = more people

More wins + better marketing = sellout

Gotta get on it. No excuses, we just got a brand new upgrade to the dome with a big rebranding.

Do your jobs SU

Yes. Just like they often push to break the attendance record for hoops - this week it should be a push to “sellout the Dome” for the undefeated football team. The Dome is redone, no fans were allowed in 2020 and 2021 had restrictions - many haven’t been there since the upgrades. This should be a “things are BACK, get to the new Dome for this Friday night game, the team is undefeated!” push.

Rarely does attendance immediately spike in any sport. It takes some time. A good season punches up season ticket sales and packages for the next season. Relying on game to game sales is a slower process. I think HRE laid it out perfectly above

Rarely does attendance immediately spike in any sport. It takes some time. A good season punches up season ticket sales and packages for the next season. Relying on game to game sales is a slower process. I think HRE laid it out perfectly above
Absolutely, It’s easier to sell out when you have 30,000 season tickets then it is when you start with 18 k

As an FYI

Our current marketing team at Syracuse is incredibly small

Like really really really small.

Its mainly run by one person and bunch of interns.

With that being said, in the Binghamton area I have seen several TV ads and heard radio ads here which I haven’t heard or seen in YEARS.

We need a couple great seasons and we can get a bigger budget for marketing.

They brought a lot if 200 people is a lot. It was similar to Louisville , Rutgers ……. It was very small #.
Way more than Louisville from what I saw.

I generally agree with this sentiment. UVA Football doesn't bring any excitement at all for the casual fan. Moreover, it's certainly great to kick off this season 3-0, but again, for those casuals, the teams we beat to get here are not getting anyone of them too bothered either. UL and Purdue are not big names and both are 1-2 respectively. UConn is pathetic and the casuals associate that program with hoops anyways.

Unfortunately, being such a poor program for so long has left much residual damage and will take a lot more winning. Perhaps being ranked will assist and be a good trigger point. If we can get to 5-0 and into the Top 25, I could then see more of the local/casual interest being piqued to the point of tangible significance.
As far as ACC teams are concerned, I believe UVA carries more weight for the “casual” fan than Duke or Wake (despite their recent success). Part of this is perception associated with a state. But I think it’s true.

Way more than Louisville from what I saw.
If you can’t even fill the one section next to the tunnel , it’s not a well traveled team , period ! I’ve been dozens of away SU games since the late 80s . Only place I have been to where we had Purdue like numbers was at Pittsburgh . WF, NCState, USF, BC , UVA , all these places we had better numbers.

If you can’t even fill the one section next to the tunnel , it’s not a well traveled team , period !
They were elsewhere besides that. Plenty of tickets available on the secondary market.

As far as ACC teams are concerned, I believe UVA carries more weight for the “casual” fan than Duke or Wake (despite their recent success). Part of this is perception associated with a state. But I think it’s true.
And Virginia was consistently good at the same time Syracuse was consistently good - late 80’s and through the 90s.

Probably gives them a better perception to the casuals who used to follow the SU program closer when it was always good.

God damnit…

Ottosarmy just put out a post calling for a “blue out” vs UVA

At least they’re building hype but COME ON.

If you’re not orange vs UVA then make it white or something else

Maybe I’m just looking for things to get me upset but we’re the orange. Stop letting other teams be orange

God damnit…

Ottosarmy just put out a post calling for a “blue out” vs UVA

At least they’re building hype but COME ON.

If you’re not orange vs UVA then make it white or something else

Maybe I’m just looking for things to get me upset but we’re the orange. Stop letting other teams be orange

Virginia’s color is blue…..

This is incredibly dumb. Lol.

This should be a 42k crowd.

It will likely be announced at 39-40k.

My ask to the university - open up ALL SECTIONS. Let's try to get some new buyers this week into those empty silver chunks os space that looks dreadful on TV

Why is being entertained for 4 hours so much worse than being entertained for 3 hours?
Sitting there waiting for the next play to run for an extra hour each game is not entertainment, it's agony. In your opinion, it would be better to have an extra hour of commercials to make a a five hour game. I have a friend who I think might have the right idea. He loves his SU friends. He goes to his favorite tailgate and when everyone else heads up to the Dome he heads to a bar to watch the game on TV with cheaper beer and closer rest rooms.

Last edited:
One thing you people are not taking into consideration is electronic ticketing. It's a royal pain in the Butt. You don't know what I had to go through to go to the L'Ville game. I am sure that there are lots of people who just don't want to put up with all the issues of electronic ticketing. I for one have had it with passwords. I refuse to set up accounts with with doctors, grocery stores, deli's and just about everybody else who is trying to get my data. One of my doctor's actually wanted my driver's license number. What the hell for? I wouldn't last long in China. My grocery store actually want's me to electronically order deli meats with a passwords etc. I shouldn't eat that crap anyway. Processed meats are deadly for you.
I needed a tire. I used to go to BJ's pick out the tire and they'd put it on the car. Now, I'm told I have to order the tire with passwords etc and they would let me know when the tire was in. I went to Pep Boys and got a tire on New Year's Day.

every sporting facility is going to mobile ticketing so that isnt going to change. I've heard there are ways you can request paper tickets for a price. i guess if you prove you dont have a smart phone? The game being over 4 hours long is because of all the reviews and tv breaks, they are not getting shorter. I happen to look at the dome clock at the end of the 3rd quarter and it was 230

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom