Van Gundy on Ennis (PHX/LAC): | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Van Gundy on Ennis (PHX/LAC):

Just out of curiosity is there ANYONE on this board that would t have left school for a guaranteed 7 million dollars? If so, say who you and are and why you would make such a foolish decision ?

Well look it it from this perspective. He's 19 years old I think. And he's out of school and he has 7M. He'll live to 75 or more. That's 66 years...7/66
Just out of curiosity is there ANYONE on this board that would t have left school for a guaranteed 7 million dollars? If so, say who you and are and why you would make such a foolish decision ?

That's 110K per year of income assuming he lives to 70. Not bad but not incredible. He's not getting a second contract so I hope he has a great broker.

Well look it it from this perspective. He's 19 years old I think. And he's out of school and he has 7M. He'll live to 75 or more. That's 66 years...7/66

That's 110K per year of income assuming he lives to 70. Not bad but not incredible. He's not getting a second contract so I hope he has a great broker.
Different story if you've got that 7 mil in your first few years. Assuming good investments, it's worth far more than 110K per year.

Exactly. He took the cash and now will have to live with the consequences. Only time will tell if he ever makes a name for himself in the NBA. I still think he should of stayed in school...

I pretty much agree from u but if u look at things from the players perspective - this year is another year he can be making money in his career - his career is going to be as a professional basketball player - he only has about 13-17 years realistically to make money - every year counts - if he's gonna make it to the NBA it does not matter if he's at Cuse this year or in the D-league - if he has to start playing overseas so be it - but time is his enemy and he needs to start working - his career will end at age 35 and then what? he certainly won't be making the money he could make playing hoops professionally

Different story if you've got that 7 mil in your first few years. Assuming good investments, it's worth far more than 110K per year.
not to nitpick but no idea where this 7 mil is coming from. it's 2.7 guaranteed. the 3rd year options get picked up more often than not but far from guaranteed. not sure that changes the argument much though.

usually these kids make very prudent investment decisions
Ya I'm sure you would have stayed in school. Forget about the 2.7 mil/year. That kind of oppurtunity comes a long every day

Just for the sake of your argument why are we assuming he'll never have any other source of income the rest of his life besides the money earned on this contract? As some have said he can still earn a good amount of money in a career overseas if the NBA doesn't work out (which I'm not nearly ready to label inevitable as some on here are). He's also constantly praised for being very cerebral and having a great basketball iq, his father is successful in the grassroots scene in Canada, Ennis himself is well respected and you never hear character issues so I don't see it being unreasonable that he has a successful coaching career at some level. Using your figures, 110k/year plus whatever he earns as a coach, overseas career, or other endeavors he pursues sounds to me like not a bad deal for doing what you love and achieving your dream.

i know personally I never would've been able to turn down a first round guarantee. Too much can happen with injuries etc. Say God forbid he came back and something horrible happened and he no longer was a first round guarantee, he missed out on his chance to achieve his dream. He only gets one chance. If it doesn't work out for him we as fans just shrug our shoulders and feel bad about it for a little bit and then on to the next guy. This is his life. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to take that risk.

Ya I'm sure you would have stayed in school. Forget about the 2.7 mil/year. That kind of oppurtunity comes a long every day
it was just an observation, nothing to do tennis. also, it isn't 2.7 mil a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom