Vermont Gameday... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Vermont Gameday...

Gait: “Really happy about today’s victory, glad we got so many players into the game to showcase our depth.”

Gait on Max Rosa: “Losing a guy like that is difficult, but it shows other players need to step up.”

Gait on John Odierna: “Just happy to see the commutation and support on the defensive side of the ball.”

Gait on improving from last year: “We do have a sense of urgency and we trying to create a new standard this season. The players are holding themselves to a higher standard and you saw the results today.”

Gait on Colgate: “We got one day to game plan and I know that our coaching staff has already started to prepare for Monday.”Colgate upset No. 4 Penn State 13-12 earlier today. The Orange and Raiders meet on Monday night.

Spallina: “Playing make it-take it ball is fun, this offense is extremely potent.”

Spallina: “I don’t think I really embraced what the Dome is last year. I let the game come to me and don’t think we took many bad shots.”The sophomore notched 7 points today, after shooting 1 for 15 on goal against Vermont in 2023.

Mulé: “As the game went on, you could see how comfortable our offense looked today.”Vermont scored the opening goal against Syracuse for the second straight year.

Kohn: “I think it’s just important to get the ball to our scorers. Overall, my teammates have made the transition really smooth for me.” Kohn had his 9th career game today with 15 or more face off wins.

We played a good game today. Offense will get smoother. One thing I noticed that's a difference from the last 2 years is that the Dmen were free to move the ball up and join the offense when the opportunity was there. Like Billy Dwan. If I recall I don't think Coach Petro let them do that in the past. Maybe one big difference with a new DC. And I don't recall that we had any offsides violations.

Random thoughts …

Offense looked fantastic, it didn’t really matter who had the ball, who was passing and who was shooting. They kept making the extra pass and it paid off. Vermont is definitely a work in progress, I think a freshman was guarding Spallina and a lot of players were new. Still it was great to see the offense execute its game plan.
-Mule was as advertised. Seemed to fit in perfectly with what the offense wanted to do. He just kept popping up in the right place and the ball was never in his stick for more than a few seconds.
-Thought Stevens was great too. SU relied on him a lot early with faceoff wings, defense and offense. Two ridiculous finishes was a good way to introduce yourself to the Dome.
-I know he didn’t produce a ton but Michael Leo looks like a different player. Bigger faster stronger. He just seemed to have a little more umph. I think teaming him up with English will give defenses a real hard time.
-only player that looked a bit out of sorts was Hiltz, he seemed to be rushing things and went early for some high light reel plays that didn’t work out. Still finished with three points so if that’s a bad game, I’ll take it.
-thought Spallina played within himself, only one or two times where I thought he pressed things. Definitely looks stronger than last year.

-was impressed with Kohn, perhaps most of all with his ability after he picked up the ball. Looked like a regular midfielder out there and was very comfortable when he was being crowded. Having that in a fogo is so important.
-Also impressed with Mullen, who does not look like a freshman physically. Given that the benches were emptied and only those two played, I’m guessing it’s them two only from here on out. Will need to be strategic about how they are deployed.

-defense looked good to me. I thought Dwan was a revelation, a threat in transition, a mauler, physical freak. I don’t think we’ve had a defenseman like that since Tyson Bomberry.
-Figuerias wasn’t tested much today. Thought he got beat a few times from far out but it never led to anything.
-Kol impressed me, but still a long way to go.
-defense last few years looked good easy on then played a top 20 team and the wheels fall off. So take it one game at a time. They held the same team (better version of it) to five goals last year.
-shorties still make me nervous, but seemed like Rice and Jake Spallina did a good job of matching feet.
-clears and penalties need to be nipped in the bud. I know it’s early but those things need to be fixed. The clears shouldn’t be happening when you practice inside a month before the season starts.
-defense definitely looked more aggressive with a lot more stick checking. Have to think that’s a big change from Petro.

All in all a good win and pretty much what we expected I think. Vermont is in rebuilding mode, but they are still a well coached team. It’s good to see Syracuse take care of business. Colgate should offer a much stiffer test.

Random thoughts …

Offense looked fantastic, it didn’t really matter who had the ball, who was passing and who was shooting. They kept making the extra pass and it paid off. Vermont is definitely a work in progress, I think a freshman was guarding Spallina and a lot of players were new. Still it was great to see the offense execute its game plan.
-Mule was as advertised. Seemed to fit in perfectly with what the offense wanted to do. He just kept popping up in the right place and the ball was never in his stick for more than a few seconds.
-Thought Stevens was great too. SU relied on him a lot early with faceoff wings, defense and offense. Two ridiculous finishes was a good way to introduce yourself to the Dome.
-I know he didn’t produce a ton but Michael Leo looks like a different player. Bigger faster stronger. He just seemed to have a little more umph. I think teaming him up with English will give defenses a real hard time.
-only player that looked a bit out of sorts was Hiltz, he seemed to be rushing things and went early for some high light reel plays that didn’t work out. Still finished with three points so if that’s a bad game, I’ll take it.
-thought Spallina played within himself, only one or two times where I thought he pressed things. Definitely looks stronger than last year.

-was impressed with Kohn, perhaps most of all with his ability after he picked up the ball. Looked like a regular midfielder out there and was very comfortable when he was being crowded. Having that in a fogo is so important.
-Also impressed with Mullen, who does not look like a freshman physically. Given that the benches were emptied and only those two played, I’m guessing it’s them two only from here on out. Will need to be strategic about how they are deployed.

-defense looked good to me. I thought Dwan was a revelation, a threat in transition, a mauler, physical freak. I don’t think we’ve had a defenseman like that since Tyson Bomberry.
-Figuerias wasn’t tested much today. Thought he got beat a few times from far out but it never led to anything.
-Kol impressed me, but still a long way to go.
-defense last few years looked good easy on then played a top 20 team and the wheels fall off. So take it one game at a time. They held the same team (better version of it) to five goals last year.
-shorties still make me nervous, but seemed like Rice and Jake Spallina did a good job of matching feet.
-clears and penalties need to be nipped in the bud. I know it’s early but those things need to be fixed. The clears shouldn’t be happening when you practice inside a month before the season starts.
-defense definitely looked more aggressive with a lot more stick checking. Have to think that’s a big change from Petro.

All in all a good win and pretty much what we expected I think. Vermont is in rebuilding mode, but they are still a well coached team. It’s good to see Syracuse take care of business. Colgate should offer a much stiffer test.

My thought exactly on Mullins, physically he does not look like most freshman. Who's to say if Vermont's guy will have a good season, but thought Mullins def looked like he can be counted on to contribute this season.

Mule did look like the piece we were missing. Lets Spallina get out on the right wing more, had incredible passes, also looked too strong off the dodge to put a short stick on. Finished the ball well inside when needed as well and looked like he had some good chemistry going with Spallina and Hiltz already. Also agree that Leo is looking stong. Think he could be a future attack in that Mule type role.

-Spallina year up north already looks like it will payoff. More comfortable with low angle shots. Extra snap on his shooting. Those nasty btb feeds as well. That twister shot should have totally counted. His best quality is how consistently unselfish he is. That vermont game last year ended up being basically the only one where it felt like he was doing too much on his own. He is an elite feeder who is always looking to pass. This attack unit could be really special.

-English was breaking ankles like crazy. There will be very few short sticks that are able to prevent him from drawing a slide. Good shooting and passing too. English and Leo with the attack could be lethal this year.

-I really liked the move using Clary at ssdm. He has the footspeed and most importantly he has the size and strength that the unit desperately needs. There may be some mistakes getting used to it again after so much time at long pole, but he did it at the start of his career here as well. The guy has really been through it now. Three defensive coordinators. Two head coaches. Three different positions. Injuries. But he is still showing up and going all out for the team. Shout out to the vet Landon Clary!

wait so rosa was the dmid who got hurt in michigan scrim ? or did he get hurt during this vermont game? also did they say how serious injury it is?

Seemed that Rice, Trujillo, Clary, Kempney and Jake Spallina were the main five but I’m not actually sure who Rice ran with on the first line. They didn’t rush Stevens off either, I’d say he played a decent amount of D.

Rice and Trujillo started.

wait so rosa was the dmid who got hurt in michigan scrim ? or did he get hurt during this vermont game? also did they say how serious injury it is?

Rosa tore his ACL against Michigan, he's out for the year

what is the ssdm rotation? rice, then hoo?

Rice and Trujillo were the starters with Clary and Spallina as the backups and Kempney as well

Titus came in late and had a couple good runs. He just looks really small, but his experience/iq could still help us. I thought Kempney looked solid when he was out there. Got beat on that swim move that one time but you hope that sort of mistake gets better with time. He is a super fast guy. I like that Stevens is playing on that end a good amount, but he did have a couple questionable 1v1 moments. Still it is a good reserve option and it is good that we are willing to use him that way and he is willing to do it

Injury happened in the scrimmage.

Game was so enjoyable, watching it again.

Seemed like Vermont was picking on Trujillo the most when he was out there. Might be something to keep an eye on for ACC/B1G play.

Kohn and Mullen are a nice 1-2 punch.

Stevens and English were all over tonight. Wings on face offs, playing on the offense, not subbing off right away when stuck on defense. Not sure if that'll continue as the season goes on or if they play outside in the heat.

Injury happened in the scrimmage.
thanks! That really sucks for rosa and feel bad for kid. Dude is such a warrior and think missing him can have bigger impact than people think. As someone like him not just captain n senior, but someone who leaves it all in field prime example of play with all your heart. He is someone the younger kids wish could see him play as motivation or image of true warrior for his teammates. Know don’t have top level foot speed but even so when other teammates see the effort and true grit rosa plays with can spark something in others or team alone. Really feel for kid .

Believe he was, the one that got hurt in the Michigan scrimmage. Said he was out for the year with lower body injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom