Very Disapponted... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Very Disapponted...

because its not blacked out.. you just dont have the right package.. this is different than in the 80s when goes were literally blacked out around the Dome. Every game is on somewhere and these games are on exactly the same place they would have been on the last couple of yrs. RSN games.. Streamers are not kind to sports and we knew that all along
Comes down to the Fox Regionals owned by Sinclair trying to create their own streaming app similar to ESPN+. They pulled carriage rights from all the streaming companies in the last year and if you are a YouTubeTV, Hulu, etc... person you're not going to ever see a game on the RSN's without pirating it, which I've gladly done the last few games.

Word is that FOX will come out with some sort of monthly paid-for app that streamers will be able to buy and use on Roku, Apple TV, etc...

The sucky thing is when I moved to YTTV I had the local RSN (MASN in this area). They parted ways sometime in the summer I believe. It's fine though, I can get the games for free by pirating through a third party and f**K the RSN's. I literally only ever had it for the SU games. So they will never be getting my money, and I spend about 60 bucks less on YouTube TV than I ever did with DirecTV. And I can cancel whenever I want to. The pluses far outweigh the minuses in my mind.

Do they have a sports package?

YoutubeTv includes a bunch of sports channels and you can add Fox Soccer and NBA League Pass. I don't see any other Sports related add-ons.

I know this has already been mentioned numerous times in previous threads, but I felt the need to vent!

Personally, I haven't missed watching a Syracuse game in over 15 years. I've been able to travel to see the team live or I've had the ability to watch them on TV or via streaming services. I have had to watch a few games in replay due to family obligations, etc., but have always had the ability to actually see the games. That is until this year...

I simply don't understand how games can be blacked out when I live 650 miles away... all during a pandemic when fans aren't even allowed to attend in person. What's the point? Am I missing something here?

So, what you need to do is be farther than 650 miles away. Have you tried a VPN?

I live in NJ and had no problem watching it live on YES.
As far as the blackout goes, my Mom lives in Syracuse and also watched it live.
Interesting...thanks.
I'll have to look into this.
Maybe they're intentionally routing the feed around me.

Interesting...thanks.
I'll have to look into this.
Maybe they're intentionally routing the feed around me.
I’m in Middlesex Co. and have DirectTV if either of those make a difference.

I have FoxSports Florida and Foxsports Sun in Fort Lauderdale and the Niagara game was on but the Rider game was not.
And I am going to guess you have cable. I know you don’t have YTTV.

Point is, in these types of discussions, what carrier or streaming company you subscribe to is the key.

I have FoxSports Florida and Foxsports Sun in Fort Lauderdale and the Niagara game was on but the Rider game was not.
I am near Tampa and both games were on FS Florida. Since that is the station most related to Miami (carries the Marlins and Panthers while FS Sun has the Rays and Lightning), it makes sense that FS Florida would be more likely to carry the ACC games due to UM.

Comes down to the Fox Regionals owned by Sinclair trying to create their own streaming app similar to ESPN+. They pulled carriage rights from all the streaming companies in the last year and if you are a YouTubeTV, Hulu, etc... person you're not going to ever see a game on the RSN's without pirating it, which I've gladly done the last few games.

Word is that FOX will come out with some sort of monthly paid-for app that streamers will be able to buy and use on Roku, Apple TV, etc...

The sucky thing is when I moved to YTTV I had the local RSN (MASN in this area). They parted ways sometime in the summer I believe. It's fine though, I can get the games for free by pirating through a third party and f**K the RSN's. I literally only ever had it for the SU games. So they will never be getting my money, and I spend about 60 bucks less on YouTube TV than I ever did with DirecTV. And I can cancel whenever I want to. The pluses far outweigh the minuses in my mind.
I hadn’t heard this. Interesting. If they actually do this, I think the practice of syndicating college sports to regional sports networks gets turned on its head. The conferences sold to these regional sports networks thinking they were getting wide distribution of their product over a huge geographic footprint.

I wonder if this change is significant enough to get the ACC out of the RSN contract. It would be awesome if all that extra content was shown on ESPN channels, including ABC and ACCN, and ACCN Extra.

The two big remaining issues that plague ACC fans trying to watch their teams play are
1) games farmed out to RSNs fans who signed up for ESPN still can’t receive and

2) Comcast subscribers.

I believe the Comcast problem will be solved when the existing ESPN/Disney contract with Comcast expires at the end of 2021.

The contract with the RSNs doesn’t expire until 2026-27 but maybe this development will kill it earlier. Any lawyers or media experts willing to weigh in on this? It should be noted that YES, one of the primary RSNs that covers ACC content, was sold separately from the rest of the Fox RSNs. It was sold back to the Yankees, with Sinclair and Amazon, among others, also holding major shares,

I hadn’t heard this. Interesting. If they actually do this, I think the practice of syndicating college sports to regional sports networks gets turned on its head. The conferences sold to these regional sports networks thinking they were getting wide distribution of their product over a huge geographic footprint.

I wonder if this change is significant enough to get the ACC out of the RSN contract. It would be awesome if all that extra content was shown on ESPN channels, including ABC and ACCN, and ACCN Extra.

The two big remaining issues that plague ACC fans trying to watch their teams play are
1) games farmed out to RSNs fans who signed up for ESPN still can’t receive and

2) Comcast subscribers.

I believe the Comcast problem will be solved when the existing ESPN/Disney contract with Comcast expires at the end of 2021.

The contract with the RSNs doesn’t expire until 2026-27 but maybe this development will kill it earlier. Any lawyers or media experts willing to weigh in on this? It should be noted that YES, one of the primary RSNs that covers ACC content, was sold separately from the rest of the Fox RSNs. It was sold back to the Yankees, with Sinclair and Amazon, among others, also holding major shares,
It will be interesting to see how this materializes if the rumors I have heard do in fact come to fruition. On one hand, they can say "we're still offered on cable and satellite packages, and we'll also be getting you a profit from streamers that you weren't getting prior to this."

On the other hand, it potentially means less revenue because they're banking on people subscribing to the app based on in-market pro deals, and out-of-market college deals. I'm not sure if I'd pay for the college hoops, but I know plenty of people in this region who would 100% purchase simply for Nationals baseball. Not sure if the value is there except for the die-hard sports fan.

YoutubeTv includes a bunch of sports channels and you can add Fox Soccer and NBA League Pass. I don't see any other Sports related add-ons.

I also have Youtube TV and espn+. I think the issue yesterday was purely technical. I was desperate enough to leave the stream running in the background for about 40 mins and with about 8 mins left in the 2nd half, the game kicked on. When I later went to watch the whole game on replay, sure enough the service had the game but the VOD began with about 8 mins left in the first half. In other words, ESPN itself did not have the full game.

I seriously doubt Santa Monica, CA was subject to some kind of blackout. ;-)

Basically in the same situation as you, except I currently have Hulu Live which also no longer carries Yes Network or RSNs.

My solutions:
For the Niagara game, one of the “illegal” streams that someone posted here worked great. Watched it on my iPad. I had the NESN feed.

For the Rider game, I found out on here that AT&T has a package that offers Yes Network. This package is $80 a month, but there is a free one week trial. If I had known this a few days earlier, I would’ve gotten both games within my free week. I’ll be cancelling before 1 week is up.

Next time I’m in this situation...I guess I’ll try a different email address/credit card and see if I can get another free week. If not, I’ll look for another “illegal” stream. I think most of our games are on one of the ESPNs or the ACCN going forward though.
Load the Fox Go sports app. It had the last 2 games.

I live in the Raleigh NC area and subscribe to YoutubeTV as well as ESPN+.
Not blacked out.
Games are on Fox Sports Go when not on ESPN. On actual TV, it’s on one of the Fox Sports affiliates.
I live in Atlanta and it’s the same thing.
ACC sold its crap games to other networks.

this is no different than if you have something like Dish and you want to watch ABC and they stop showing it because the contract runs out, which it is.. you cant you watch ABC magically without another service,, In that cae you do a have a free option, if you have an antenna..

In this case people can dodge it by doing the illegal streaming, which means the league loses money and when enough do it they stop showing the games completely.. And VPN is not hiding that either from anyone either

I know this has already been mentioned numerous times in previous threads, but I felt the need to vent!

Personally, I haven't missed watching a Syracuse game in over 15 years. I've been able to travel to see the team live or I've had the ability to watch them on TV or via streaming services. I have had to watch a few games in replay due to family obligations, etc., but have always had the ability to actually see the games. That is until this year...

I simply don't understand how games can be blacked out when I live 650 miles away... all during a pandemic when fans aren't even allowed to attend in person. What's the point? Am I missing something here?
MONEY$$$$$$

I live in Durham and also have YouTubeTV and ESPN +. I watched the first couple of games on ESPN+ but it was a replay because Fox Sports South was dropped by most of the streaming services. You can watch those ESPN games on replay as soon as the game has ended. I just avoid social media and other sports during the game so I don't see the result before I get a chance to watch the game.

I just search for a stream and Airplay it to my AppleTV. There is always someone out there streaming the games.

I live in the Raleigh NC area and subscribe to YoutubeTV as well as ESPN+.
I live in Raleigh as well. ESPN+ is garbage. I subscribed in 2019 before football season. It didn't have 2-3 key football games, and wasn't any better for basketball. Which basically rendered it useless. YouTube TV is good value, but some unpredictability with the channel offerings. It is very frustrating overall.

I'm also in the Raleigh area. Youtube TV is not going to get you the early season cupcake games that are not on the ACC network and seems overpriced (especially now without RSN's). Both the Niagara and Rider games were on RSN Fox Sports South here (646 on Direct TV). Direct TV is the only way to go as far as sports programming.

I have YouTube TV and a subscription to ESPN + but get black out error messages as well (also did occasionally for SU football games). I live in Tampa! The work-around for me was using a VPN and choosing Las Vegas as my location. Problem solved, at least for now.

Really?
Not on my YES Network feed in NJ...home of disenfranchised Orange alumni.
Do you get it in real time?
yes, we all did.

how could you not?

its also as simple as going to the FoxSportsGo app.

it was on there too.

[/QUOTE
Thanks for posting...and taking the "all you have to do" whacks at you. it is unacceptable and suprising as our ad is supposedly a tv guy. How can they not know this glitch? I sure as hell aint switching to spectrum for 5/6 games a year. Its the ignorance that gets me...the same ole all you have to do is goto fox sports go app or espn+, both of which are blacked out in Syracuse. So glad you posted...thanks

I have YoutubeTV and access to ESPN+, which I can’t tell if my TV setup actually recognizes, and I was able to get both games through the ESPN app streamed through my TV. Last nights game was f’d up because the stream didn’t start until under 10:00 remained in the first half. I think this was a widespread technical glitch judging from comments posted here last night.

I say I can’t tell if this setup is actually using ESPN+ because when I go to register my subscription credentials it continually rejects them. So I’m unsure whether I got the game because I subscribe to a service (YoutubeTV) that gives me access to all ACCN programming including ACCNx or because I subscribe to ESPN+, especially since I access it through the ESPN app. Very confusing.
I have the exact same set up as you. I was still Blacked Out (St Augustine Area). Neither Youtube TV or Hulu carries the RSNs so I'm not sure what happened in your case. You have to log in with your service provider (in my case either YoutubeTV (OTT Streaming) or Xfinity (my Internet). Neither helped as both Blacked Me Out. I suppose I could bite the bullet and get Cable TV but not with Xfinity. Xfinity doesn't carry the ACCN (yet).

I channeled my inner 20 year old and found a Twitch stream that had the game. I think you have to download Twitch app to make it work. I already had it on my phone. I'm not entering CC info into some overseas account...a few other streams have huge pop-ups which I couldn't figure out how to get rid of.

Finally, if you want to listen to the game either Tune In for Matt Park or just listening to Giovanni Heater

Gio is a HS senior at CNS. He is a prodigy and hopefully he can afford SU. We'll be seeing him on ESPN someday

The RSNs owned by Sinclair are rebranding under Bally. They might be selling stand alone packages by FB season next year. We'll see if they limit it to within each RSN territory

Joyce cto have you seen the great work Giovanni Heater does? I know he would love to go to SU. He is a 5 star recruit right in North Syracuse.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom