Villanova number one in the AP. | Syracusefan.com

Villanova number one in the AP.

I am dead serious when I say I would rather play Villanova than any other team in the top 10. Of course my opinions are wrong a lot of the time but wow it just shows how weak the Big East has become. They will likely lose at Xavier they have ripping the Big East up now for 3 years in a row.

Boy they sure did get a lot better since realignment. I wonder what Wright's secret is.

playing a mid major schedule? :noidea: That's just...I.....yeesh...if you say so :rolleyes:

Seton Hall had them beat until Whitehead couldn't inbound the ball with about 30 seconds to go. I don't even think this team is as good as Jay's better Big East teams, but there you go.

I agree that it is really coincidental that nova got awesome, and PC and Xavier suddenly became really really good once realignment happened.

Granted, I don't think any of these teams suck by any stretch, and PC has legitimately gotten better, but something tells me that none of them are nearly as highly ranked if realignment didn't happen.

It's like the big east became a rich mans WCC and everyone keeps acting like its the old big east.

They lost Oklahoma in Hawaii and @Virginia. They beat Xavier at home. Spilt with Providence and have a bunch of just decent not great wins.

This is why I wish the NCAAT selection committee would do rankings like the CFB playoff committee. The CFB playoff committee didn't just drop teams for losing games they looked the team's resume.

You can't tell me Villanova is the best team in college basketball right now thru the eye test or their resume. That is what is wrong with polling.. They are like sheep 99% of the time. If you lose you don't have to fall and if you beat mediocrity you just don't have to automatically slide up.

I agree that it is really coincidental that nova got awesome, and PC and Xavier suddenly became really really good once realignment happened.

Granted, I don't think any of these teams suck by any stretch, and PC has legitimately gotten better, but something tells me that none of them are nearly as highly ranked if realignment didn't happen.

It's like the big east became a rich mans WCC and everyone keeps acting like its the old big east.

Agreed. And the new Big East has not performed well in the NCAA tournament. Somebody has to win that conference now that the big boys have left, and the result is that the entire league is overrated.

PC has a had star since they have gotten better. Kris Dunn is a special talent and is the reason PC has upped its game along with a good coach.
Xavier has always been solid under Mack but they got experience this year. They have been a top 15 team but this team has been an outlier for them as they have been a top 10 team for a while legitimately this year.

Nova is an elite program but this team this year just doesn't scream elite NC contender. They are winning games but just seem like a solid top 2-3 seed not the #1 team in the nation or 1 seed.

Just shows how much parity there is this year. Nova is not a No. 1 team, but they will be until someone takes their place.

Nova has not made it to the 2nd weekend of the tournament since realignment. And they had some extremely good seasons going to the Final Four and being a 1 seed in the mid to late 2000s before realignment. Not sure I see the connection.

Agreed. And the new Big East has not performed well in the NCAA tournament. Somebody has to win that conference now that the big boys have left, and the result is that the entire league is overrated.

They're living off the reputations of UConn, Louisville and Syracuse.

Nothing personal towards you at all, but I just hate the phrase "the eye test" that you always hear on ESPN. All the eye test means is that someone has an opinion that they can't back up using facts.
to an extent, yeah - but there are also too many people that seem to increasingly regurgitate kenpom without really watching the games - a good balance is needed

Nothing personal towards you at all, but I just hate the phrase "the eye test" that you always hear on ESPN. All the eye test means is that someone has an opinion that they can't back up using facts.
Eye test to me means you see the talent on that team. Even though the team doesn't have the record you see the talent and know they can be really dangerous.

The perfect eye test team is LSU. They have all the talent in college basketball but have several bad losses. If they are on the bubble with other teams and the committee says they are just better because of talent that would be the eye test IMO.

Watching college basketball Villanova does not look like a super talented team and I would say watching them play and other teams play I would Maryland, Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas, North Carolina, Virginia, Xavier, Michigan State all look more talented and look like better teams.

It isn't personal as Nova deserves to be a top 10 team just not sure they look anything like the best team in the nation.

How the f*** is Arcidiacono still there?
If we got seeded with Nova the fact Arcidiacono has struggled against our zone is part of the reason I would be okay with matchup.

Plus Cooney has had good games against them the past 2 years.

What ever become of facts to support some of these claims?

The Big East is 26-17 (60% or 58% Rutgers Adjusted) against fellow P5 schools this year. That is pretty damn good -- not just some mid major. It means it is a major player and in the top half of major conferences. They were also 5-4 against the ACC this year. They proved themselves.

Is it re-alignment that allowed these schools to do well against schools from other power conferences?
Did the WCC ever accomplish anything close to this?
Did the WCC ever have 60% of it's members in the top 50 in KenPom rating?
Or is the eye-test that this conference sucks worth more than a 26-17 record?

I think this is Arcidiacono's last year. Definitely in the running for the Angel Rodriguez/Aaron raft/Gerry Macnamara award.

What ever become of facts to support some of these claims?

The Big East is 26-17 (60% or 58% Rutgers Adjusted) against fellow P5 schools this year. That is pretty damn good -- not just some mid major. It means it is a major player and in the top half of major conferences. They were also 5-4 against the ACC this year. They proved themselves.

Is it re-alignment that allowed these schools to do well against schools from other power conferences?
Did the WCC ever accomplish anything close to this?
Did the WCC ever have 60% of it's members in the top 50 in KenPom rating?
Or is the eye-test that this conference sucks worth more than a 26-17 record?

They won the games so you gotta giv them credit but the conference just seems artificially inflated. They belong as a P6 conference but the top teams just don't seem that good. Xavier is the exception I think they are better than Creighton from 2 years ago or any Nova team these past 3 years.

Xavier seems NC good the rest just seem like max sweet 16 teams.

They lost Oklahoma in Hawaii and @Virginia. They beat Xavier at home. Spilt with Providence and have a bunch of just decent not great wins.

This is why I wish the NCAAT selection committee would do rankings like the CFB playoff committee. The CFB playoff committee didn't just drop teams for losing games they looked the team's resume.

You can't tell me Villanova is the best team in college basketball right now thru the eye test or their resume. That is what is wrong with polling.. They are like sheep 99% of the time. If you lose you don't have to fall and if you beat mediocrity you just don't have to automatically slide up.

I can't tell you if any school is the best program in college basketball based on the eye test or resume. I would probably not put Villanova number 1 because it lost to Oklahoma and Virginia. But Oklahoma and Virginia have lost a few more games against just decent schools that Villanova has beat.

In terms of #1 -- I would go with Oklahoma as the #1 overall seed right now. After that it's a pure pick'em for the next 3 seeds. Also remember that the College Football Committee relies on power rankings as well. And rankings such as KP, have Villanova #1.

The reason they have Villanova #1 in power rankings is that they not played a bunch of nobodies. The Big East is a respectable and very strong conference.

The resume test is pretty much a wash for anybody in the top 10 right now. I agree the eye test is not that strong for Nova for me either -- bring em on.

But if the voting was done in a CFB type setting right now, why couldn't Nova be a #1 seed right now? I think the 1 and 2 line could be picked out of a hat, except for Oklahoma.

They won the games so you gotta giv them credit but the conference just seems artificially inflated. They belong as a P6 conference but the top teams just don't seem that good. Xavier is the exception I think they are better than Creighton from 2 years ago or any Nova team these past 3 years.

Xavier seems NC good the rest just seem like max sweet 16 teams.
W/ all due respect, polls mean absolutely nothing.

If we got seeded with Nova the fact Arcidiacono has struggled against our zone is part of the reason I would be okay with matchup.

Plus Cooney has had good games against them the past 2 years.

I think our familiarity with them (and success in those last 2 games) might be a factor in us selling them short. I am just as guilty, seeing a top 10 in front of a school, and thinking we should be afraid of them. But maybe if we played some of those other schools in recent year we would think of them the same,

Just a thought -- although, I would rather we just get Nova as the 1 or 2 in the group of 8, and not test the theory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom