Watching fsu | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Watching fsu

Nice. Saban has 19 losses at Bama, and 30 something more wins. The talent level is the same.

Point is that Jimbo gets talent lining up at his doorstep, but should do more with it. Oh yeah, Saban has how many Chips at Bama? I forget. FSU could have won that game with decent coaching.

Works for me, as we may have a shot against them. Dino is a better coach, by far.
You are comparing Fisher to the GOAT...and the difference in talent between those two teams is just as wide as ours with others.

BGSU also went on a long, slow slide after Meyer left and before Clawson got there. And they were awful after Babers left.

Kent State couldn't sustain the one good year they had with Darrell Hazell. Central Michigan fell off when Brian Kelly left, Butch Jones brought them back, then they fell off again. Northern Illinois sustained success between Kill and Doeren, but have been slipping under Carey. Stan Parrish couldn't sustain Brady Hoke's success at Ball State. Same with Jeff Quinn, who followed Turner Gill at Buffalo.

Yes, there are outliers (Toledo), but the point is that success is hard to sustain, especially in the MAC. And the benchmark Fleck set is almost impossible for any coach to meet.
But they don't have to meet Flecks benchmark to be successful.

BGSU also went on a long, slow slide after Meyer left and before Clawson got there. And they were awful after Babers left.

Kent State couldn't sustain the one good year they had with Darrell Hazell. Central Michigan fell off when Brian Kelly left, Butch Jones brought them back, then they fell off again. Northern Illinois sustained success between Kill and Doeren, but have been slipping under Carey. Stan Parrish couldn't sustain Brady Hoke's success at Ball State. Same with Jeff Quinn, who followed Turner Gill at Buffalo.

Yes, there are outliers (Toledo), but the point is that success is hard to sustain, especially in the MAC. And the benchmark Fleck set is almost impossible for any coach to meet.

I know of other places where success is difficult to maintain. Thing with WMU is that they've now got at least 2 billionaires willing to throw oodles of money at the university, and the football program.

Then you've not talked much with Coach Lester.

I went to bat for Lester a ton. He's very good at communicating. But Fleck had them recruiting consistently at a very high level for the MAC. Continuing that will be very difficult. Rooting for them to do it - but Fleck did something in recruiting that hadn't been done in a long time.

I went to bat for Lester a ton. He's very good at communicating. But Fleck had them recruiting consistently at a very high level for the MAC. Continuing that will be very difficult. Rooting for them to do it - but Fleck did something in recruiting that hadn't been done in a long time.

Western's got a decent chance at going 11-1, making the top 25, and going to another New Year's bowl. Should that happen, recruiting probably becomes very easy.

Western's got a decent chance at going 11-1, making the top 25, and going to another New Year's bowl. Should that happen, recruiting probably becomes very easy.

Hope so. But it's never easy vs P5 schools.

FSU has a Fr QB and a kid they dont want to play , didnt sound like they even have another option. that online is getting guys killed for the last 2 years. they may have to win by the D creating everything and they were pretty solid last night.

USC has some freaky speed and WMU played hard and stayed with them bell to bell. I think the inexperienced QB plus keeping the ball out of USC's hands by running was the right move...plus it was effective.

Not every P5 school is USC. Not every G5 team sucks.

Sure, WMU lost by 18, but FSU lost to 'Bama by 17, and WMU certainly was in the game till the final 4 minutes.

Thats not what I'm talking about. On the field - WMU is roughly 10x better than Rutgers ;). I'm saying the chance for sustained recruiting success is steeper for a G5 school. They may have a couple of millionaires, but P5 schools have millions of $ coming via TV deals.

I'm not throwing shade. I like what they've done and I think they'll have a very good season. I just don't think it's sustainable, year after year.

Maybe but they have a new QB this year.
Agreed, but he's pretty good too. They pretty much reloaded like Alabama did. I would like to see it be them again in the finals and settle the score since it's 1-1 right now.

Thats not what I'm talking about. On the field - WMU is roughly 10x better than Rutgers ;). I'm saying the chance for sustained recruiting success is steeper for a G5 school. They may have a couple of millionaires, but P5 schools have millions of $ coming via TV deals.

I'm not throwing shade. I like what they've done and I think they'll have a very good season. I just don't think it's sustainable, year after year.
Billionaires. One of 'em wrote a check for their IPF. One check.

Uphill climb vs P5, man. Just like it's uphill for us vs Clemson. It's not impossible. Just harder. And sometimes that's enough.

Like I said - rooting for Lester, Doust, and Steven :). Hope there is enough of Central Michigan for you guys to finish off ;)

How did you guys like the USC band after each first down playing their little song? Annoying as heck, isn't it?

How did you guys like the USC band after each first down playing their little song? Annoying as heck, isn't it?
Actually didn't hear it. Or, I wasn't paying attention. =D

If you're a fan it's awesome. Better than nothing. I think most people love it. LSU has always done this...

We should come up with something for when Syracuse gets a first down.

...perhaps, ringing a bell?

Who's in!?

If you're a fan it's awesome. Better than nothing. I think most people love it. LSU has always done this...

Well that's one song we aren't going to hear much on the 23rd.

We should come up with something for when Syracuse gets a first down.

...perhaps, ringing a bell?

Who's in!?

We've played the first part of the fight song after a first down for decades. That SU fans are oblivious to that is sad. And expected. We have the worst college fans in P5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom