Wayne Williams off the team | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Wayne Williams off the team

You asked for an example assuming the worst when there are unknowns. I laid it out for you.

And with the heat, I prefer a gin and tonic.

To the pasture with you old Kaiser.

Right, thinking that our D may not be as good as it has been in year's past is totally assuming THE WORST.

I might as well have said that I am certain we will allow 72 points per game this year, because they are exactly the same thing.

Right, thinking that our D may not be as good as it has been in year's past is totally assuming THE WORST.

I might as well have said that I am certain we will allow 72 points per game this year, because they are exactly the same thing.

I was speaking to the "ha,ha" response from OttoinGrotto.

Look! Full circle. Only way to change the culture around here is to point it out. I really don't mind. It's been on mind since I went from Lurker to poster.

Last edited:

Look! Full circle. Only way to change the culture around here is to point it out. I really don't mind. It's been on mind since I went from Lurker to poster.
lets keep that circle in motion for a bit.

lurker to poster to ...

lurker.

:eek:

Some people want to discuss things. Others want to wave pom-poms. It's cool.

Scooch said:

And some are so used to being negative no matter what they can't see things clearly enough to have discussions that entertain the notion of a positive outcome.

Scooch said:

And are you honestly saying that I done engage in discussions!?!

According to Mike M at Skowt, Williams will not transfer. He'll stay at SU to finish his education.

So clearly, it wasn't anything academic.

orange79 said:
We get it. You think some people on this board are too negative. We get it.

I'm done. Was just responding. Takes two to keep things going.

According to Mike M at Skowt, Williams will not transfer. He'll stay at SU to finish his education.

Such a weird situation

I know nothing, but my instinctive thought was he had a weight threshold to hit and he missed it by a few hundred pounds. In 10 years we'll see him achieving redemption on season 32 of the biggest loser.

You would think but the wierd thing is, it was. Know one of the players, said it had to do with academics. Didn't really clarify outside of that.

The idea of our coaches looking at each other and saying "Well, we better expect to have to win some shootouts" is comically absurd.

You would think but the wierd thing is, it was. Know one of the players, said it had to do with academics. Didn't really clarify outside of that.

I can assure you it most definitely is NOT academics. Well not that he is failing out at least.

I can assure you it most definitely is NOT academics. Well not that he is failing out at least.

Maybe he wasn't failing out, idk. I just know it had something to do with academics. Unless he was lying, but he'd say he couldn't talk about it before he'd lie. He could be misinformed but that's doubtful too.

Last edited:
OttoinGrotto said:
The idea of our coaches looking at each other and saying "Well, we better expect to have to win some shootouts" is comically absurd.

Your opinion of the coaching staffs abilities and cognitive reasoning is at the core of your misjudgment. It's not insane at all to believe they've had those discussions. But silly me - I think they are trying to be good at scoring and stopping the other team.

You spend too much time in the weeds.

Your opinion of the coaching staffs abilities and cognitive reasoning is at the core of your misjudgment. It's not insane at all to believe they've had those discussions. But silly me - I think they are trying to be good at scoring and stopping the other team.

You spend too much time in the weeds.
It's not far fetched. "Not taking the game away from the kids" mattered more to Marrone than scoring. Shafer admitted last season that he'd rather watch his defense be on the field. I take them at their word.

OttoinGrotto said:
It's not far fetched. "Not taking the game away from the kids" mattered more to Marrone than scoring. Shafer admitted last season that he'd rather watch his defense be on the field. I take them at their word.

Did you see our offense last season?! I liked watching the defense play better too.

They spend 8-10 hours a day thinking about football. You honestly believe that Shafer would admit that the defense is young and experienced and then go onto to not think how he might need to score more points? And that if the offense shows modest improvement it will lead to less conservative play-calling?

Hubris of fans sometimes. I bet he also has never thought about kicking in the dome or passing in controlled environments in your world.

Did you see our offense last season?! I liked watching the defense play better too.

They spend 8-10 hours a day thinking about football. You honestly believe that Shafer would admit that the defense is young and experienced and then go onto to not think how he might need to score more points? And that if the offense shows modest improvement it will lead to less conservative play-calling?

Hubris of fans sometimes. I bet he also has never thought about kicking in the dome or passing in controlled environments in your world.
I think things would have to be so hugely imbalanced between the offense and defense, where the offense is so remarkably better than the defense it is undeniable, for Shafer to think in terms of offense first, yes. Modest improvement isn't going to change anything. I don't believe these guys can change their stripes.

And for as terrible as our offense was last season, it was still preferable to watching the defense. Because as bad as it was, that crap offense still outscored our defense last season, and the thing we needed last season more than anything was more points.

Even so, given the tendencies this staff has shown so far, it is far more likely that they are anticipating game plans where they hope to keep scores low and close than they are planning to find ways to win shootouts. Not a doubt in my mind.

I will be soooo happy to be proven wrong. But I need to be proven wrong.

OttoinGrotto said:
I think things would have to be so hugely imbalanced between the offense and defense, where the offense is so remarkably better than the defense it is undeniable, for Shafer to think in terms of offense first, yes. Modest improvement isn't going to change anything. I don't believe these guys can change their stripes. And for as terrible as our offense was last season, it was still preferable to watching the defense. Because as bad as it was, that crap offense still outscored our defense last season, and the thing we needed last season more than anything was more points. Even so, given the tendencies this staff has shown so far, it is far more likely that they are anticipating game plans where they hope to keep scores low and close than they are planning to find ways to win shootouts. Not a doubt in my mind. I will be soooo happy to be proven wrong. But I need to be proven wrong.

I really think this is a major blind spot in your evaluation of the coaches.

Generally speaking I think they plan on getting better on offense and getting better on defense. No one is planning on sucking on either side of the ball. That's what I meant about getting too far into the weeds. I don't think this concept of "our defense will be worse, so we'll need to score more" is something you plan on have happening. It's a week-of game plan or in-game adjustment.

I don't think Shafer will ever be able to appease your particular brand of "putting offense 1st"... He will never be Leach.

But I'll say it again - we've never had a Shafer led team that the offense is worthy of that kind of trust. At the same time we've had very good defenses that he leans on. White-knuckling is the default with that mix. If our offense starts putting 30 pts on the board easily I think we'll see him think like the former QB he is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom