We probably need to get Carey ready for some minutes | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

We probably need to get Carey ready for some minutes

He doesn't. He hasn't played.

But he was active, couple blocks, definitely not a stiff, long, athletic and showed a lil heart.
He is athletic, but some guys are just athletes and some guys are just players. I think he is more athlete tan player, but I'd love to be wrong. He also needs at least 20 pounds.

I watched it back this morning, he’s so slow to react that he isn’t going to last at the most 15 minutes a game before fouling out. I remember three things from last night about the game, impressed how hard Judah worked at getting rebounds, they weren’t as easy as they looked on TV, their band had one of the largest collection of geeks I’ve ever seen, and Carey was awful.
Apparently you missed his kick-out diagonal pass from the high post, which led directly to an open (converted) 3-point shot.

Apparently you missed his kick-out diagonal pass from the high post, which led directly to an open (converted) 3-point shot.
Ok what about the other 419 seconds he played? You feel comfortable with him playing 10 minutes a game?

Some players belong here and some don’t, this has happened forever in college sports, he just doesn’t belong at this level, trying to pick out a play here and there to justify his skill level is ridiculous. I saw Jesse Edwards hit a three last year, doesn’t mean I was ready for him to be a perimeter player.

He is athletic, but some guys are just athletes and some guys are just players. I think he is more athlete tan player, but I'd love to be wrong. He also needs at least 20 pounds.
You could be talking about Benny.

Ok what about the other 419 seconds he played? You feel comfortable with him playing 10 minutes a game?

Some players belong here and some don’t, this has happened forever in college sports, he just doesn’t belong at this level, trying to pick out a play here and there to justify his skill level is ridiculous. I saw Jesse Edwards hit a three last year, doesn’t mean I was ready for him to be a perimeter player.
This was my impression--

He listened to his coaches, and quickly and assertively made the right play. That is the opposite of "deer-in-the-headlights', and something you can build on. I also liked his confidence in taking the short jump shot. (It's nice to put up a shot where you're not forced into imitating a contortionist.)

If the whole game boiled down to that shot, then we didn't deserve to win. I'm talking bigger picture of getting/building the guy to compete at this point of the season.
Red needs to work him into the rotation now, but not at the expense of wins. The big picture for Red is still winning games and getting to the NCAAT this season, as it should be. Carey will only play if necessary, and won't get a very long leash.

Red needs to work him into the rotation now, but not at the expense of wins. The big picture for Red is still winning games and getting to the NCAAT this season, as it should be. Carey will only play if necessary, and won't get a very long leash.
Red is playing him, so either he thinks he could be something or Hima is hurt and can't play.

Sample size is small but he’s very athletic could be another Edwards.

Sadly he probably won’t help our rebounding either.

Eh, he's in his sophomore year and can't get minutes on a team without a center. Most guys who can provide quality minutes as a Junior or Senior are getting game time at this point.

Here's a list of Syracuse players who played fewer than 50 total minutes in their frosh and soph seasons and eventually played more than 10 mpg as an upper classman:
George Papadakos (after he transferred to Michigan State)​
This is his first stretch of basketball in 2 years. The kid is a good athlete who, in his HS videos, really attacked the rim. Just needs strength and experience.

Last edited:
Red is playing him, so either he thinks he could be something or Hima is hurt and can't play.
Hima is very limited physically these days, as per Red, and his availability and ability to play effectively will likely be a game to game thing for now. I think you'll see Benny become Brown's primary backup in the middle.

Last edited:
This is his first stretch of basketball in 2 years. The kid is a good athlete who, in his HS videoed, really attacked the rim. Just needs strength and experience.
You can get in on the betting action too.

You could be talking about Benny.
Benny can't be totally ignored on Offense. I also feel better about him getting a rebound than Carey. Carey usually seems to be out of position or pushed away for the rebound.

Last edited:
Backup QB syndrome. He didn’t fall on his face therefore he can be everyone’s hopes and dreams.
Not everybody is as adept as you and 2-3 to be able to pass judgement on a guy who has been working to come back from injury for the last year in his first few minutes of playing time.

Really wanted that jumper he took to drop, form & arc didn't look bad at all... perhaps a portend of what's to come. Yes, a portend;)
Ooo
Not everybody is as adept as you and 2-3 to be able to pass judgement on a guy who has been working to come back from injury for the last year in his first few minutes of playing time.
we can only go by what we actually see, not what we wish he could do. When he came in I got really nervous. Told my wife to watch the kid running all over wondering where he should be. I said to watch close because he is a foul a minute guy. Apparently a lot improvement since it was more like a foul every minute and a half. As for his wonderful shot. It was so far off and taken way too early in the shot clock. How that is a positive is beyond me.

The Peter Carey thread is 5 pages. Who would’ve ever thought.
I'm... pleasantly surprised I started this and it became a real discussion.

In conclusion, Peter Carey will end Bacot's career in shame with a tea bag dunk so devastating, ESPN will run it on the ocho exclusively, non-stop, for 6 of the next 8 years.

I'm... pleasantly surprised I started this and it became a real discussion.
There truly is a first time for everything.

Laugh Lol GIF

Now having said all the negatives. The kid tries his arse off. His teammates definitely like him and constantly try to guide him through the game. If anything ever clicks, he will be good and I will be elated.
Matt Moyer tried hard, Kaleb Joseph tried hard, a lot of guys try.

Matt Moyer tried hard, Kaleb Joseph tried hard, a lot of guys try.
They got a lot more rope than 7 minutes. Centers also have a different development track than guards and forwards.

sorry to hear Macleod is done for the season. hope he heals 100%. til then he'll always have hawaii and bill walton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom