We probably need to get Carey ready for some minutes | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

We probably need to get Carey ready for some minutes

Guess we have a glass half full vs glass half empty situation here. Put me in the glass half full camp. Hoping PC can turn into a productive role player.

They got a lot more rope than 7 minutes. Centers also have a different development track than guards and forwards.

Had nothing to do with their position, he said he tried hard, a lot of players try hard, put me in, I’ll try even harder. Unfortunately it really doesn’t mean anything if you’re not very good.

Do you want me to list of centers that never did anything? There are a lot of them.

Had nothing to do with their position, he said he tried hard, a lot of players try hard, put me in, I’ll try even harder. Unfortunately it really doesn’t mean anything if you’re not very good.

Do you want me to list of centers that never did anything? There are a lot of them.
The coaches see him everyday in practice, they gave him the PT. We'll have to see if it was a 1 time audition or will they put him in again. I need to see more before I reach any conclusion.

The coaches see him everyday in practice, they gave him the PT. We'll have to see if it was a 1 time audition or will they put him in again. need to see more before I reach any conclusion.
As it should be.

I don't know why some folks continue to dump so hard on Carey.
I think he contributed and played decent vs Pitt, and can actually be an asset over time. He'd had no run prior to that game, but I think and its JMHO, he was serviceable.
He's not the 2nd coming of Olajuwon, but he's athletic, plays hard, and takes up space. I think he should get a lot more PT, and I can even see the naysayers eating their words in a coupla years.

The coaches see him everyday in practice, they gave him the PT.
He's 4th on a 3-man depth chart for a reason and isn't 5th because Patterson is red shirting. It was a break glass emergency with Brown in minor foul trouble and no other center available. He was in for only a few minutes and committed 4 personal fouls and made one pass from the line against a weak zone.

I get that people want to be optimistic and hopeful, but this is a Sean Williams, Chino Obokoh, Dash Riley, JBA etc. situation (all of whom played more minutes than Carey and were more productive). I've already shared the list of SU players who have been so inconsequential in the first two seasons and it's a lot of guys who either transferred to a smaller school and didn't play much or never played D1 ball again.

I don't have anything against the kid, only people who think he's some diamond in the rough and he just needs some game time to blossom into something other than the 11th man on a 9 man bench.

You're welcome to provide counter examples. There's a whole website with stats and everything.

Fair enough
But I've never been much of a "stats" guy. I feel every case is different.
Again, serviceable- that's what I'm predicting with PC. And it's quite all right to agree to disagree.
Let's revisit in a coupla years, and we'll see who was right.

He's 4th on a 3-man depth chart for a reason and isn't 5th because Patterson is red shirting. It was a break glass emergency with Brown in minor foul trouble and no other center available. He was in for only a few minutes and committed 4 personal fouls and made one pass from the line against a weak zone.

I get that people want to be optimistic and hopeful, but this is a Sean Williams, Chino Obokoh, Dash Riley, JBA etc. situation (all of whom played more minutes than Carey and were more productive). I've already shared the list of SU players who have been so inconsequential in the first two seasons and it's a lot of guys who either transferred to a smaller school and didn't play much or never played D1 ball again.

I don't have anything against the kid, only people who think he's some diamond in the rough and he just needs some game time to blossom into something other than the 11th man on a 9 man bench.
He was injured in his senior year of high school, so last year was a true redshirt year. They did not expect to play him much this year as they went out and got McCloud. I heard some comparisons to Lydon in what he could possibly become. I think if he was as bad a prospect as you say, they would use Patterson's red shirt.

Last edited:
And why not?
He literally "takes up space" and will give you 5 fouls, set picks, grab a board, and provide spot breathers for Maliq. I was actually pleasantly surprised that he moved so well.
This "he can give you five fouls" stuff always makes me laugh. Anyone on the active roster can do that. And in a competitive game, the raw guy with lots of imagined upside giving five fouls can do a lot damage to your chances of winning in a short period of time.

Carey gave up at least 4 maybe 5 offensive rebounds against Pitt he should have gotten his hands on or tapped to a teammate. If he can’t get a rebound during live action ( not FTs) then just go small. If he can defend straight up and grab some boards then he can be that last guy off the bench asset the rest of the year.

He doesn’t have to do much but needs to do the couple of things he is being asked of when on the floor. The flailing at rebounds is painful to watch.

I think there is ability there with Carey...question is does HE believe?
Give him a lob pass jam or a blocked shot and maybe he "takes off".

100%

There is at least some potential and a long, athletic frame to work with with Carey. We know what NM and Hima are and, if this is a place of honesty, neither of them should be on our team next season.

I don't know if Carey should be (prob not) but I can at least be sold on one more summer of development and the weight room with him. The other two I know that they cannot contribute to winning at a level beyond the lower-middle of a bad P5 league.

If Patterson is happy here, cool, keep him to compete for backup minutes but the starting 5 spot needs a full reset if next season is going to be what we want it to be. There will be options in the portal, especially now that it is a free-for-all.

There is at least some potential and a long, athletic frame to work with with Carey. We know what NM and Hima are and, if this is a place of honesty, neither of them should be on our team next season.

I don't know if Carey should be (prob not) but I can at least be sold on one more summer of development and the weight room with him. The other two I know that they cannot contribute to winning at a level beyond the lower-middle of a bad P5 league.

If Patterson is happy here, cool, keep him to compete for backup minutes but the starting 5 spot needs a full reset if next season is going to be what we want it to be. There will be options in the portal, especially now that it is a free-for-all.
Freeman and Brown at the 4/5 next year. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Freeman and Brown at the 4/5 next year. Don’t shoot the messenger.
We will get murdered in the half court by teams with grown men but if our defensive possession length stays around top 10 in the country as it is this season that problem can be masked pretty well. And Freeman is starting to look like he will be built to bang on the boards in the ACC from day one.

I just think that there is a cap on a team's ceiling 99% of the time if they don't have a true 5 to rely on but a handful of things need to go perfect between now and November for us to be worried about that anyways.

We will get murdered in the half court by teams with grown men but if our defensive possession length stays around top 10 in the country as it is this season that problem can be masked pretty well. And Freeman is starting to look like he will be built to bang on the boards in the ACC from day one.

I just think that there is a cap on a team's ceiling 99% of the time if they don't have a true 5 to rely on but a handful of things need to go perfect between now and November for us to be worried about that anyways.
Unlike JB I think Red would rather not
play a non threat at the 5. The problem is true 7 footers who are threats are usually McDonalds All Americans or complete projects. There’s usually never anyone in between.

Based on Reds radio show it sounds like he’s showing more in practice than Hima and they want to give him more time. I’m sure the board will disagree, but thought I’d share!
The board isn't exactly Hima fans either!

Unlike JB I think Red would rather not
play a non threat at the 5. The problem is true 7 footers who are threats are usually McDonalds All Americans or complete projects. There’s usually never anyone in between.
The best bet is probably a mid-major stud in the portal but that i$ probably ju$t as hard to land these day$

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom