Welcome Back Louisville! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Welcome Back Louisville!

Agreed...

UT is the Flag Ship
TAMU is the Cult

The next few years will be interesting to see how this situation shakes out. Aggy's recruiting has greatly improved during the Tejas slide.

The State has more than enough elite talent to support both schools. Aggy's separation from big brother, by their move to the $EC, may continue to help with recruiting efforts.

Should note that Aggy, with JFF tearing up the field, haven't really had significant success during the past two years. Great moments, such as their upset of Bammer in their first meeting, but no conference championship game appearance, BCS appearance, etc.

Their comeback victory, over the mighty Dook fb program (tic), in the Chik-Fil-A bowl should be noted. ;)

Looking forward to 10/11/14!

Good points Tampa. A couple things: I think most Texas residents still watch the B12 over the SEC. TAMU really has made strides the last 2 years...but they are still really the team of choice of rural TX, conservatives and bandwagoners. I'd wait and see how UT responds with Strong.

I'm neutral myself on a TX team...none of them really move the needle for me. I like Baylor's offense though...that is fun to watch.

I went to Louisville this past weekend, great up and coming city with nice neighborhoods and great restuarants. As much as you hear that they take a backseat to UK, I saw cars everywhere covered with Cardinal gear and saw a nice ACC country billboard. I do agree that this isn't a huge power move for the ACC but driving through Hartford and Louisville is no comparison - Louisville is a huge brand.

Also, no way that the B1g did better in realignment than the SEC. Texas A&M has surpassed Texas in recruiting and football power and while Manziel helped, the SEC put them over the top. Missouri has two major cities and the SEC added the most powerful football state with A&M.

Louisville takes a back seat to UK at the State governmental level. Neither school has stellar academics across the board. In the end, I think this situation favors Louisville because they are already working with corporate assistance whereas UK is still dependent on the State and state budgets are tightening up. Louisville has surpassed UK in most sports and is very respectable in the only UK sport of significance, hoops.

The SEC really scored well covering the whole southeast and gulf coast. With Texas and Florida and everything in between, their recruiting and audience is secured. Mizzou is icing on their cake.

I remain a skeptic regarding the BTN success in Jersey, NYC and Maryland. They already had what influence they could get via their B1G schools, these two additions are really weak and don't bring significant viewers or loyalty. In the long run, I think Rutgers and Maryland are a wash at best and may be leeches on the B1G.

Good points Tampa. A couple things: I think most Texas residents still watch the B12 over the SEC. TAMU really has made strides the last 2 years...but they are still really the team of choice of rural TX, conservatives and bandwagoners. I'd wait and see how UT responds with Strong.

I'm neutral myself on a TX team...none of them really move the needle for me. I like Baylor's offense though...that is fun to watch.

As an outsider here in Houston, I second Mark's comments. UT is the dominant fan favorite. TAMU is #2. While I enjoy watching the Texas teams (sans Texas Blech) because I enjoy watching football, I much prefer Orange football and watching our conference mates.

Louisville takes a back seat to UK at the State governmental level. Neither school has stellar academics across the board. In the end, I think this situation favors Louisville because they are already working with corporate assistance whereas UK is still dependent on the State and state budgets are tightening up. Louisville has surpassed UK in most sports and is very respectable in the only UK sport of significance, hoops.

The SEC really scored well covering the whole southeast and gulf coast. With Texas and Florida and everything in between, their recruiting and audience is secured. Mizzou is icing on their cake.

I remain a skeptic regarding the BTN success in Jersey, NYC and Maryland. They already had what influence they could get via their B1G schools, these two additions are really weak and don't bring significant viewers or loyalty. In the long run, I think Rutgers and Maryland are a wash at best and may be leeches on the B1G.
That's a good outlook for U of L. It's been said here before but the way the whole city seems to view them as the professional team really reminds me a lot of Syracuse.

That's a good outlook for U of L. It's been said here before but the way the whole city seems to view them as the professional team really reminds me a lot of Syracuse.

Agreed. I think Louisville the city realizes they will probably never get a professional franchise so they fully enjoy ... and support ... what they have. I think Louisville the school knows this and does what they can to meet the need.

I think Syracuse does much the same but has been lower key garnering local support from local business. I may be a bit off, though, as Syracuse is a private school and the task may be harder for a private versus a state school. Overall, I still believe the city supports SU very well. Especially being in the shadows of the Yankees, Giants and several other professional teams.

Last edited:

UK obviously has a much larger fanbase in Kentucky outside of the city of Louisville but the last 20 years we've made some tremendous strides. Until Schnellenberger arrived seeing a Cardinal flag or a bumper sticker on someone's car was like seeing Sasquatch. Nowadays you see that stuff all the time in the counties surrounding Louisville and in western Kentucky. Hell, even in Lexington you'll see people wearing Louisville colors walking around.

Pretty much spot on..Htown

Add the fact that Louisville has several corporate HQs in the city where Cuse has none. And many of those corporations are made for Sports: Fast Food and sporting goods.

A quick read on the merits of Louisville over Maryland. I'd still like to have Maryland though

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/louisville-in-maryland-out-advantage-acc-063014
That article is probably worthy of its own thread. After all the hate and rumors of the ACC's demise, it's nice to see a national outlet point out all the positives of the ACC.

Thanks for the kind words guys, can't wait to see Pitino resume his domination of Boeheim!

I kid, I kid :p

I can't wait to disregard resumes of kids with Louisville degrees.

I can't wait to disregard resumes of kids with Louisville degrees.

Do they even apply to NASA? (It feels good to talk trash, I need a football fix soon!)

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a resume from someone from Louisville. To be fair though, you do need to pass the qualification filters and make the certification list before we ever see a resume.

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a resume from someone from Louisville. To be fair though, you do need to pass the qualification filters and make the certification list before we ever see a resume.
You guys plan on going to Mars anytime soon?

"the ACC geographic area will contain the most television households and highest population of any conference nationally. The league is also proud to point out that it is the only Power 5 conference to place over half of its member institutions among the top 50 of the Best Colleges rankings released by U.S. News & World Report and put five in the top 30."

I have no clue how to run a conference but I hope with this ^^^^^^^^^^ Smarter people then me could Raise the ACC to levels no one ever thought of. That ^^^^^^^^^ could make the ACC very powerful and almighty if smart people elevate, think out side the box and have brass balls. Get the ACC Network going

and elect

Darryl Gross ACC Comish 2017

Louisville...>you've been cheered, jeered and joked with in this thread...I think that means you are official. You are one of us again...welcome back to the Big Boy Table you earned to sit at.

Had a blast with Louisville fans at the Final Four in Atlanta. Glad to have them in the ACC. Will never say a positive word about Pitino, but their fans are alright with me. Great to have you back.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom