Welcome, Coach Brown! Now, about that portal... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Welcome, Coach Brown! Now, about that portal...

Are we assuming that Jaime Tremble signs in this scenario as well?
Tremble is definitely a talent we want to retain and should with Fran but I would obviously count him as unproven as he has not played a college snap. We need a portal transfer with some display of on field performance if possible. My opinion only.

Is Fran coaching for UGA this weekend? Is he in Cuse? Whats the deal?

KJ Jefferson [Arkansas QB] is expected to enter the transfer portal. Shrader clone right there.

Is Fran coaching for UGA this weekend? Is he in Cuse? Whats the deal?
I heard he is yes but I bet he is already talking to our players on the phone, watching film etc. He's probably pulling double duty basically, the poor guy probably isn't going to get much sleep this week.

I respect the fact that he is staying for their conference championship game, no wonder why these young men love the guy.

Roy Wittke, Tyler Brewer, Alberto De La Guardia, and Caleb Holfoth better get strapped in for the ride their about to take! Lol.

So we know the portal opens on December 4th. Is there an end point to the portal for this cycle? Also, what is NLI Day?

Don't get it twisted Fran can recruit, but these high profile QBs aren't leaving their schools to come to Syracuse for their final season. They want either $$ or a shot at a championship. I think it's likely we end up with a guy who knows HCFB or Syracuse from before (like Bohanon or TVD) or just ride it out with CDRW.

So we know the portal opens on December 4th. Is there an end point to the portal for this cycle? Also, what is NLI Day?

30 day portal window opens Dec 4. There's another 15 day window in the Spring. Players have to officially enter the portal during the window, but can transfer anytime.

Early NLI signing period is Dec 20-22.

Regular NLI signing period is Feb 7 - April 1.

Don't get it twisted Fran can recruit, but these high profile QBs aren't leaving their schools to come to Syracuse for their final season. They want either $$ or a shot at a championship. I think it's likely we end up with a guy who knows HCFB or Syracuse from before (like Bohanon or TVD) or just ride it out with CDRW.

Some of these players are looking for maximum exposure to further their careers. That may or may not go along with a shot at a championship if the present system they’re in or looking at, isn’t a pass/QB friendly system. At the end of the day you’re prob right, the highest rated QB’s aren’t going to consider us. But it’ll be more b/c we can’t convince them right now that our offense can advance their career because we don’t have one or evidence we have the offensive players to make a QB look good.

There’s no way we’ll be riding it out with CDRW next year.

Hard pass. The guys on the roster are better.

He doesn’t fumble at the 5 and drop a td bomb vs Rutgers they win that game.

Who knows what happens after that.

He was down at the 5 if you ask me.

30 day portal window opens Dec 4. There's another 15 day window in the Spring. Players have to officially enter the portal during the window, but can transfer anytime.

Early NLI signing period is Dec 20-22.

Regular NLI signing period is Feb 7 - April 1.
Thanks. Am unclear about the real life distinction between portal periods and the ability to transfer at any time. Perhaps during portal periods a school is allowed to initiate contact with the player whereas not during other times?

Some of these players are looking for maximum exposure to further their careers. That may or may not go along with a shot at a championship if the present system they’re in or looking at, isn’t a pass/QB friendly system. At the end of the day you’re prob right, the highest rated QB’s aren’t going to consider us. But it’ll be more b/c we can’t convince them right now that our offense can advance their career because we don’t have one or evidence we have the offensive players to make a QB look good.

There’s no way we’ll be riding it out with CDRW next year.
Does Brown remove his scholarship if he can't transfer elsewhere? This is a genuine question; I recall Deion doing that to many players this season at Colorado, would Brown most likely do similar as well?

Not advocating for it, just curious.

Thanks. Am unclear about the real life distinction between portal periods and the ability to transfer at any time. Perhaps during portal periods a school is allowed to initiate contact with the player whereas not during other times?

Schools are only allowed to "officially" contact recruits who are listed in the portal.

You can only enter the portal during one of the specified windows. There are exceptions: When a coach is fired, players can enter the portal immediately instead of waiting until Dec 4.

Once you're listed in the portal, schools can contact you anytime.

You can leave the portal and transfer to another school anytime. Players will be announcing their new destinations from now until next May.

Does Brown remove his scholarship if he can't transfer elsewhere? This is a genuine question; I recall Deion doing that to many players this season at Colorado, would Brown most likely do similar as well?

Not advocating for it, just curious.

I personally doubt it. A coach may sit down with certain players and say, you’re not in our future plans and makes sense to transfer. Kind of nudge them out. But pulling scholarships is a bad move usually. Also from what I’ve heard from friends of players, he’s well liked. It sets a bad tone to do that if a player isn’t a team problem. And you need practice players and you need backup QB’s. So I don’t think so but you never know with a new guy who’s new to this too. There’s no history to know what he will or won’t do.

Marrone came in and cleaned house, rightfully so. He did this being hired with I think about 1 month to sign new players. We picked up players that didn’t even have star ratings just to have bodies on the team. So who knows.

Will Howard, grad transfer QB from K-State (Downingtown, PA) has some respectable talent as I mentioned earlier. He has an OT brother that we offered for 2024 that is committed to K-State as well that we might be able to flip also. Both are big boys. Will is 6-5 242 and little brother Ryan is listed at 6-7 305. Will also visited us a couple of times before he committed to K-State a few years back.