What can be fairly expected fromDC2 ? this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What can be fairly expected fromDC2 ? this year

People seem to forget that the last time DC was really healthy was when he was a true freshman.

Like most true freshman, he struggled. No different than Rak, AO, Etan, Otis, etc...

That's a fair point but he had the same bad habits in 2013. Hopefully he realizes that as a player with a very limited vertical, he has to keep the ball high and go up strong.

My concerns with DC are two-fold: 1) His health 2) His bad on-court habits...IE: His inability to catch the ball in the paint and go up decisively without bringing the ball down. Until he shows he's learned his lesson, he will continue to make himself smaller and get packaged. People seem to forget how ineffective Coleman was when he was healthy.

There is no doubt, a lot of truth to this and I agree that he needs to make quicker more decisive moves and keep the ball high, but its a bit unfair to say he wasn't effective or even imply that he didn't improve from Frosh to Soph.
Frosh: 25games 12.7min/per 4.8ppg 4rpg 44%fg
Soph: 13games 13min/per 4.3ppg 4.3rpg 58%fg

So coming off a surgery shortened season he upped his FG% 14points to 58% which is pretty effective.

Per Minute Production for his career so far:
474 min, 170 points, 149 rebounds: .36ppm .31rpm (rounded)

At 25 minutes per game with no improvement: 9ppg, 7.8rpg (rounded)

There is no doubt, a lot of truth to this and I agree that he needs to make quicker more decisive moves and keep the ball high, but its a bit unfair to say he wasn't effective or even imply that he didn't improve from Frosh to Soph.
Frosh: 25games 12.7min/per 4.8ppg 4rpg 44%fg
Soph: 13games 13min/per 4.3ppg 4.3rpg 58%fg

So coming off a surgery shortened season he upped his FG% 14points to 58% which is pretty effective.

Per Minute Production for his career so far:
474 min, 170 points, 149 rebounds: .36ppm .31rpm (rounded)

At 25 minutes per game with no improvement: 9ppg, 7.8rpg (rounded)

His production is virtually identical both years, though his FG% did go up. It was such a limited sample his sophomore year, to be fair, so it's hard to really tell if there was any real improvement. I just remember being frustrated his sophomore year that he had the same bad habits. Fingers are crossed that he becomes effective. If he were a great athlete, those bad habits would be masked. One thing we do know: he will work hard and will give a maximum effort.

Last edited:
His production is virtually identical both years, though his FG% did go up. It was such a limited sample his sophomore year, to be fair, so it's hard to really tell is there was any real improvement. I just remember being frustrated his sophomore year that he had the same bad habits. Fingers are crossed that he becomes effective. If he were a great athlete, those bad habits would be masked. One thing we do know: he will work hard and will give a maximum effort.

I completely agree about the bad habits and they need to be improved on. He was coming off and injury and played basically the same minutes per game putting up the same numbers except with much better FG%. It is hard to extrapolate a whole lot from that though because some of those games were cupcakes so you could say the numbers were inflated but conversely you could say that he didn't play enough games to really see what he could do.

Either way my point is that he wasn't completely ineffective. He had flaws and bad habits in his game but he put up points and grabbed rebounds. 30min a game of his production would be 10.8 and 9.3 which most of us would be happy with from the center spot most seasons. I don't see him playing 30min a game this season but I don't think its unreasonable to expect some sort of improvements and think he can put up something in the neighborhood of those numbers in 25min a game.

How was he as a passer? If he can find the open man when teams choose to double him that would be a plus

How was he as a passer? If he can find the open man when teams choose to double him that would be a plus

He has 7 assists in 474 minutes to this point. I recall him being a pretty good outlet passer, which unless someone really leaks out is rarely an assist. I don't recall him passing much out of the post as his mentality was to get a shot up.

Last edited:
He had 7 assists in 474 minutes to this point. I recall him being a pretty good outlet passer, which unless someone really leaks out is rarely an assist. I don't recall him passing much out of the post as his mentality was to get a shot up.

This is my assessment as well. He seemed to want to put his head down, pound two or three dribbles and put his shot up...like a bull in a china shop. He needs to get better at recognizing what the defense is presenting and acting accordingly.

Last edited:
This is my assessment as well. He seemed to want to put his head down, pound two or three dribbles and put his shot up...like a bull in a china shop. He needs to get better at recognizing what the defense is presenting and act accordingly.

Agreed he was basically going to shoot no matter what when he received the ball in the post or got an offensive rebound. The most frustrating was when he got a rebound and then dribbled twice allowing the defense to get back in position rather than just going right up with it. I remember screaming at the TV when that happened.

He may wind up being a good passer out of the double team but there is no way to determine that since he never really attempted it. Perhaps if he gets his moves straightened out and is converting at a nice rate he may start to show some other aspects of his game. It always appeared to me that he was pressing to score.

He has 7 assists in 474 minutes to this point. I recall him being a pretty good outlet passer, which unless someone really leaks out is rarely an assist. I don't recall him passing much out of the post as his mentality was to get a shot up.

I remember the frustrating dribbling under the basket :bang: Hopefully going up against rak helped him break some of those bad habits.

Anyone have any insight into what he is doing over the summer to get ready for next year? Hopefully he's playing somewhere against good competition and not engaging in Gerry's favorite summertime training activity.

This coming season is a proxy for Mike Hopkins' ability to train the big men. At least some of DC's habits will be on him. Just sayin'. If he remains healthy, DC has the added incentive to make the NBA if he can learn and develop. Just as much on DC as on Hop, IMHO.

Last edited:
This coming season is a proxy for Mike Hopkins' ability to train the big men. At least some of DC's habits will be on him. Just sayin'.

Should be interesting. He obviously had great success with Rakeem who had a ton more game leaving than he came in with. That said Rakeem didn't have some of the same fundamental/bad-habbit issues that Coleman displayed.

Mike will be working with 2 freshmen bigs, a sophmore who wasn't up to the speed of the game last year and Dajuan who couldn't stay healthy and now has 2 bad knees. He has no returning post up threat. We can push Mike to do the best he can, but imo lets not put any unnecessary standards on him this year.

Looking back at Raks jr year, everyone says we didn't utilize him enough. #1. his soft hook wasn't as consistant or soft. #2. he wasn't ready to go left with that explosivness, although he went better right then his freshmen soph years #3. his jumpshot wasn't nearly as ready.
I was saying how much of a stud rak was at the beginning of his jr season during the canada games as he really improved his mobility. But, his shooting touch and ability to go left hadn't evolved to his senior year.

Mike will be working with 2 freshmen bigs, a sophmore who wasn't up to the speed of the game last year and Dajuan who couldn't stay healthy and now has 2 bad knees. He has no returning post up threat. We can push Mike to do the best he can, but imo lets not put any unnecessary standards on him this year.

Looking back at Raks jr year, everyone says we didn't utilize him enough. #1. his soft hook wasn't as consistant or soft. #2. he wasn't ready to go left with that explosivness, although he went better right then his freshmen soph years #3. his jumpshot wasn't nearly as ready.
I was saying how much of a stud rak was at the beginning of his jr season during the canada games as he really improved his mobility. But, his shooting touch and ability to go left hadn't evolved to his senior year.

Rak's FG %'s

57.3%-Freshman
53.0%-Soph
61.3%-Jr
55.2%-Sr

Rak was always a good percentage scorer (an efficient scorer). JB left him out of the offensive game plan his first 3 years. His junior year Rak took less than half the shots of any of the other players on the starting 5.

They weren't looking for him on O.

While those skills being sharpened were certainly important, the big thing for me was his change in attitude to "stop me if you can."

imho idont think dc does anything productive - 2 bad knees are 2 bad knees

i hope he has recovered enough to be a solid contributor- but my mind cant forget the curse upon su the last decade

The "Dreaded Knee Curse" has probably hurt us more than any other title contender during the past ten years. Damn the knee gods!

The "Dreaded Knee Curse" has probably hurt us more than any other title contender during the past ten years. Damn the knee gods!

Knees and basketball can be a dangerous combo, lots of things can happen.

Considering that he didn't show much when supposedly healthy,its hard to project on him. If he has become stronger he might be able to secure a rebound when he comes down with one.

Honestly, what can be "expected" of DC2 based on past experience is him getting injured and not finishing the season. That's what's happened for 3 years in a row now. Anything other than that defies reasonable expectation.

Honestly, what can be "expected" of DC2 based on past experience is him getting injured and not finishing the season. That's what's happened for 3 years in a row now. Anything other than that defies reasonable expectation.

Yeah this is where I'm at, I expect pretty much nothing. Would love to be pleasantly surprised.

I'll take 6 and 5.

Did you see what Silent G said in his interview with Donna? He said that DC2 has been playing some pickup, and they're hoping to have him for "most" of the season. Ugh.

While those skills being sharpened were certainly important, the big thing for me was his change in attitude to "stop me if you can."
This ^^^^^^^^

Rak's skills were always there. He just never had the attitude - or, sometimes, the opportunity - to put them on display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom