What do you believe is the best basketball game ever played at the Dome? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What do you believe is the best basketball game ever played at the Dome?

I'm 35 so from late 80s on

Gtown '90
Pitt '03
Duke '14

You stole my list! Those are definitely my top three. And as Cherie said above, I have never heard the dome as loud as it was at that 1990 Georgetown game.

However, if I had to pick a favorite from among them, I would say Pitt 2003 ... the three-court-rushing game. It was the beginning of February and were not ranked. Number 2 Pitt would have become #1 if they won because Zona had lost the previous night. When we won it, I turned to Tomcat and predicted we would win the NC that year. That game was that good!

Last edited:
The March of 1990 Georgetown-SU game where Thompson was ejected. Never heard the dome that loud - ever! My ears were hurting and my ears were buzzing hours after that game.
The only Dome game that was as loud as some of the Kansas games I saw. Noise that seemed to come in sound waves.

SU-pitt in 2003 was the best game because of what it stood for. Scientifically proven best dome game ever
That game was big, because at that time Pitt was so hard for us to beat. If you remember, Knight hit a half court (or close) shot after the buzzer. If it would've been half a tic sooner, they would have won. Seriously, they were really hard for us to freakin' beat at that time.

Eh, I'd go with the Thompson ejection - by far.

However, my first game at the Dome was this junker - but actually a pretty amazing game featuring an amazing team (and Michael Edwards):

I kept telling my sister to shut up on the ride home because she was rooting for ND just to be a jerk...she wouldn't shut up so I may have punched her in the arm after warning her repeatedly to please stop...I also may have spent the rest of the trip with my Dad sitting next to me in the back seat because we had to be separated.

She should have known better.

To my credit that was the only time I ever struck a family member (and it was just an arm punch). Oh well, and Elmer Bennett. Look what you did to my family!!!!! I hope you're proud! :)

If you look really closely at the 30 second mark you can see on the left side.

Last edited:
The March of 1990 Georgetown-SU game where Thompson was ejected. Never heard the dome that loud - ever! My ears were hurting and my ears were buzzing hours after that game.
Was that the one where he handed the refs his glasses? I was there for that one, but didn't have season tickets until 2004. I don't think at the time I appreciated how spectacular that was, being a relatively new Orange fan.

I have to go with the Duke game, because we were undefeated and it was the first time. Everyone knows that the first time is extra special. (Unless you were me at the Univ. of Wis. and awfully drunk. Luckily, that guy introduced me to my hubby.) Anyway, at the Duke game I was nearly unconscious from the excitement. (Same as that night back in Madison...)

I also particularly liked the 2010 Nova game where we broke the attendance record and after the game we were the #1 team in the country. Soooooooooooooo good. (Just like - - STOP!)

100% agree. McNeil's bucket to take the lead is the most exciting moment I've ever experienced at the Dome.
Agreed. That whole second half was crazy, and the 3 court stormings just added to it.

Plus, McNeil gave the quote of a lifetime: "Sh** looked good" in reference to the final half court heave.

cto said:
You stole my list! Those are definitely my top three. And as Cherie said above, I have never heard the dome as loud as it was at that 1990 Georgetown game. However, if I had to pick a favorite from among them, I would say Pitt 2003 ... the three-court-rushing game. It was the beginning of February and were not ranked. Number 2 Pitt would have become #1 if they won because Zona had lost the previous night. When we won it, I turned to Tomcat and predicted we would win the NC that year. That game was that good!

Yeah, that's my list too. Picked those games after reading the OP. Then scrolled and realized I wasn't alone.

You can see me bottom right at the 1:37 mark. Still the greatest sports moment of my life. What a game!

I was in my dorm room at Brewster-Boland, fast asleep after an all-nighter. Had a tiny black-n-white tv w/ a wire hanger antenna. As I woke up to go to the john they showed that Pearl half-court highlight w/ a voiceover from WSTM News. Still tired I went right back to sleep thinking "I must be dreaming".
When I woke up later and realized it was real, I had a Twilight Zone moment. Best finish ever at the Dome...win or lose!

I'm 35 so from late 80s on

Gtown '90
Pitt '03
Duke '14

Honorable mention nova '10. Dome felt like the 80s, and we played an incredible game. We would have beat any team in the country by double digits that nite.

This exact post is what I would have written. Although 2000 vs Uconn with Etan Thomas on the scorer's table is right up there

I have 3 choices. 1980 3OT Villanova v. Syracuse Big East Tournament Final, Pearl Washington game against Georgetown in 1985, or the 2014 Duke v. Syracuse game. This game was heavily hyped and lived up to the hype. Since I am young I will go with the Duke game.

I would love to hear what others think.
Sherman Douglas's last game, against Georgetown in 1989. Best game I've ever attended in person.

Phenomenal comeback for the good guys.

I will show my age and throw in the SU/Michigan st game when they had magic johnson. SU held Magic to his career low and Marty Byrnes had 25 for SU.
Great game and upset. Mich St came in ranked 4th in the country. Also, was the scene of one of the best JB meltdowns of all-time. The press gave Magic the MVP of the Carrier Classic even though State lost and Marty B had a GREAT game. I think JB even thru a chair during his presser. Called the local media ignorant and gutless. Nice to see some things just dont change.
I was at that game and it was fantastic but it was played at Manley not the dome

SU-Georgetown March 1990 video
I was in an ER waiting room watching this. They called me in with about a minute left in regulation. I told them to wait. The win eased my pain.

As great as that game, and the triple OT Nova game were...for sheer quality of basketball it had to be last year's Duke game.

Agree. I snuck my father into the pull out student section. It was great to share that with him and the rest of my college buddies. The drama of that game was amazing