What do you believe is the best basketball game ever played at the Dome? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What do you believe is the best basketball game ever played at the Dome?

You stole my list! Those are definitely my top three. And as Cherie said above, I have never heard the dome as loud as it was at that 1990 Georgetown game.

However, if I had to pick a favorite from among them, I would say Pitt 2003 ... the three-court-rushing game. It was the beginning of February and were not ranked. Number 2 Pitt would have become #1 if they won because Zona had lost the previous night. When we won it, I turned to Tomcat and predicted we would win the NC that year. That game was that good!
I never rushed the court, but for some bizarre reason my dad and I felt compelled to do it. All 3 times. Awesome memories.

I was in my dorm room at Brewster-Boland, fast asleep after an all-nighter. Had a tiny black-n-white tv w/ a wire hanger antenna. As I woke up to go to the john they showed that Pearl half-court highlight w/ a voiceover from WSTM News. Still tired I went right back to sleep thinking "I must be dreaming".
When I woke up later and realized it was real, I had a Twilight Zone moment. Best finish ever at the Dome...win or lose!
I was at that game best game winner ever at the dome for an SU player although Rautins put back is a close second. On a side note I love how the younger people always have to mention they are young enjoy it while you can time goes by real fast!

December 11 1982: SU 92, Houston Phi Slamma Jamma 87. The Cougs had Hakeem, Clyde Drexler and others, but the Rautins/Bruin/Santifer team beat them. End-to-end action.
Choices like this are what I was hoping for as I never knew about this game and my mom was at SU during this time.
This Houston team only lost 2 games before the 1983 NC game against NC state and to find out SU was one of the two teams to beat Houston in the regular season is awesome.
Thanks for this post.

Didn't the Harlem Globetrotters beat us one year?
Yep, that was maybe 2003 or 2004. I think they had Cedric Ceballos playing for them.

The March of 1990 Georgetown-SU game where Thompson was ejected. Never heard the dome that loud - ever! My ears were hurting and my ears were buzzing hours after that game.

I'd go with this one too. I was still living up in the Adirondacks then and it was just before we got cable TV (always had to run down to grandma's to watch cable). Fortunately we got CBS out of Syracuse, though the reception was a bit snowy. I was 13 years old. I'll never forget that game. From Brent Musberger dramatically opening the telecast with a line that went something like "welcome to the sold out Carrier Dome," to Billy Packer mentioning in reference to our 13-0 run (or was it more?) that he had never seen anything like this, though he did see Missouri/Notre Dame the prior day (ND had crushed #1Missouri).

For some reason that game sticks out in my memory. As special as they come for me. It was a simple time in my young life where Syracuse basketball was the almost a mystical thing of sorts.

Other games that come to mind was Gerry Macs late 3 against Notre Dame in 2003. I was in the Dome for that one with a crew of about 8 that included my father and an old friend. My dad's friend got kicked out of old 44's that day for a crime that he did not commit. I remember we missed the end of St John's upsetting Uconn because of it.

I was living in Syracuse when we started off 16-0 around 1999 or so. I was at the Uconn game that year and when I noticed that the students were going to rush the court. I made my way over and ran out with them at the buzzer. Got knocked over a table by a big girl but recovered and made it to the 3 point line.

I could go on and on. These last 2 were more special to me and maybe don't fall under "the greatest ever" category but this thread got me all nostalgic. Great topic OP

I'd go with this one too. I was still living up in the Adirondacks then and it was just before we got cable TV (always had to run down to grandma's to watch cable). Fortunately we got CBS out of Syracuse, though the reception was a bit snowy. I was 13 years old. I'll never forget that game. From Brent Musberger dramatically opening the telecast with a line that went something like "welcome to the sold out Carrier Dome," to Billy Packer mentioning in reference to our 13-0 run (or was it more?) that he had never seen anything like this, though he did see Missouri/Notre Dame the prior day (ND had crushed #1Missouri).

For some reason that game sticks out in my memory. As special as they come for me. It was a simple time in my young life where Syracuse basketball was the almost a mystical thing of sorts.

Other games that come to mind was Gerry Macs late 3 against Notre Dame in 2003. I was in the Dome for that one with a crew of about 8 that included my father and an old friend. My dad's friend got kicked out of old 44's that day for a crime that he did not commit. I remember we missed the end of St John's upsetting Uconn because of it.

I was living in Syracuse when we started off 16-0 around 1999 or so. I was at the Uconn game that year and when I noticed that the students were going to rush the court. I made my way over and ran out with them at the buzzer. Got knocked over a table by a big girl but recovered and made it to the 3 point line.

I could go on and on. These last 2 were more special to me and maybe don't fall under "the greatest ever" category but this thread got me all nostalgic. Great topic OP
Got knocked over a table by a big girl - lol

December 11 1982: SU 92, Houston Phi Slamma Jamma 87. The Cougs had Hakeem, Clyde Drexler and others, but the Rautins/Bruin/Santifer team beat them. End-to-end action.
I agree with that. Electric atmosphere.

1980 3OT Villanova I was at the game, totally drained of energy after the game. What makes this my choice is the fact we were not a very good team that year and yet we pulled it off.

Syracuse-UConn 1994, 108-95.

And a lot of those other ones.

The first Syracuse game I went too.

High School Senior, I was visiting some universities in Southern Ontario with my dad and decided to come back to Ottawa on the south shore of Lake Ontario and to catch that Syracuse game.

If I remember correctly UConn was maybe #4 in the country and Syracuse was around #15. It was a great game, my dad who was not a basketball fan, really enjoyed himself as well.

What about NCAA tourney games?

What have been some of the great games played in Syracuse?

Cheriehoop said:
The March of 1990 Georgetown-SU game where Thompson was ejected. Never heard the dome that loud - ever! My ears were hurting and my ears were buzzing hours after that game.

Agreed. Duke came close but this game was ridiculous.

What about NCAA tourney games?

What have been some of the great games played in Syracuse?

I seem to recall a Villanova/North Carolina sweet 16 game in the Dome. I think it's the year the Heels won the title and Villanova got hosed on a controversial call late in the game. And wasn't it in Syracuse that Cleveland State beat defending champion Indiana?

1-the game Melvin Tuten dunked
2-'90 gt. Cemented SU as the only place I wanted to go to college.

I seem to recall a Villanova/North Carolina sweet 16 game in the Dome. I think it's the year the Heels won the title and Villanova got hosed on a controversial call late in the game. And wasn't it in Syracuse that Cleveland State beat defending champion Indiana?
That was 1986 in the Dome. Cleveland St knocked off 3 seed Indiana in the round of 64. I was there and recall how much our fans enjoyed the upset.
Little did we know that SU which had almost doubled up Brown in the round of 64 would then fall to Navy, led by the Admiral- David Robinson. Took a lot of the joy out of the Hoosier loss for us.
If my memory is correct, the Orange had beaten Navy convincingly during the regular season.
Note: at that time you could play on your home court in the tournament.

Yeah, that's my list too. Picked those games after reading the OP. Then scrolled and realized I wasn't alone.
The Pitt '03 game, the second half. Wow. The crowd was standing pretty much from the 10 minute mark on, and the sound was just unreal. It came in waves. It honestly was one of those moments where you look around and think to yourself in the moment "I'll never experience something like this ever again."

And CTO is right, after that game I thought that we could match up and beat anyone. The fortitude that team had was on display that night.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/10/throwback_thursday_syracuse_as.html

Dammit this is why you read through a thread before posting. But yea, Donyell Marshall and Moten both had 30.

Ha I was truing to google the box because I remembered Red having crazy passes and I find a #tbt article from 2013 about that game. It was close until after the under 4 TV time out. A great back and forth high flying big shot after big shot game and then Syracuse scored every time and UConn missed. They only scored 7 after that time out while the Orangemen netted 18. This is my vote for some of the best basketball I have seen in the carrier dome.

Pitt '03 and Notre Dame '03 were exciting well played games but I just recall that for the whole game, it was just great play after great play.

So googling it again I find this

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/most-fun-you-have-had-watching-a-uconn-loss.33063/

The fact that this thread exists at the Boneyard is evidence that this game should fit in the list.

Good one! The Kentucky win at the Dome from that season was great too. But that UConn game was awesome. The 93-94 SU team is one of my favorites. Very good team and really fun to watch. The Senior version of Autry, Moten, and Wallace...that's 3 big time players with talent who knew how to play the game.

Best game I've been at, SU/PITT '03 given the circumstances (Pitt wins, #1) as well as Villanova 2010. Absolutely hammered with my roommates in he student section. Yeah, I remember 4 plays, but it was worth it.