What I expect at this point… | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

JB announces RETIREMENT before the portal opens. (This is the only thing I really feel solid about).

Red is quickly named successor. (Trending in this direction)

The rest is purely my speculation.

Red tries to retain as many players as possible and quickly hits the portal with a “not an exclusive zone team anymore” pitch. Targeting veteran physical players who will fill a role up front…and maybe adding a shooter depending on Joe

I think Bell and Benny are likely hitting the portal.

GMAC lands a gig elsewhere.

Allen is retained.

Red hires an outside the family coach to help with recruiting.

Red adds a bench coach. (Seth?!?!)
I'm sorry but naming Red successor is not going to work. The time for JB to name his successor has come and gone. The only reason you would hire from within is to make a continuity hire for a program that is doing well. That is the opposite of us. If Wildhack thinks naming an assistant to this current program is going to fix everything then he doesn't have a clue. This is a do or die hire. We can't F this up and going to Red is only going to continue the downhill slide. This program is stale. It needs some energy and going to Red/Gerry isn't going to do the trick. These assistants have proven they can't recruit. We need to go outside of the program and try to inject some energy and life into this program.

Bench Coach...Cuonzo Martin? What's he doing. Guy was a HC for a long time.

Not sure that makes any sense… why does it matter if the league is southern? Does conference geography dictate where players are allowed to play?
Conferences have histories and distinctive culture. In the ACC we are an afterthought. We only get table scraps after the big old boys have feasted. In the B E we were the old boys and we were well fed. We had rival games that attracted national attention.

I guess you are going to be amazed when USC and UCLA become middle of the pack in their new league. Betting on it would be easy money.

I'm sorry but naming Red successor is not going to work. The time for JB to name his successor has come and gone. The only reason you would hire from within is to make a continuity hire for a program that is doing well. That is the opposite of us. If Wildhack thinks naming an assistant to this current program is going to fix everything then he doesn't have a clue. This is a do or die hire. We can't F this up and going to Red is only going to continue the downhill slide. This program is stale. It needs some energy and going to Red/Gerry isn't going to do the trick. These assistants have proven they can't recruit. We need to go outside of the program and try to inject some energy and life into this program.
I don’t agree with the “can’t recruit” thing. That’s on JB.

Red was on staff coaching and recruiting during the good times too.

I don’t agree with the “can’t recruit” thing. That’s on JB.

Red was on staff coaching and recruiting during the good times too.
It seemed like most of it was Hop and it has fallen off from there. Recruiting aside making a continuity hire in the state we are in right now would be mind blowing. Don't have to remind anybody that Red played for and coached under JB so we will see a lot of the same. Isn't that what we need to get away from? We need someone from the outside, a new voice, that can shake things up and give us a shot of life. Going to Red would be disastrous imo

It seemed like most of it was Hop and it has fallen off from there. Recruiting aside making a continuity hire in the state we are in right now would be mind blowing. Don't have to remind anybody that Red played for and coached under JB so we will see a lot of the same. Isn't that what we need to get away from? We need someone from the outside, a new voice, that can shake things up and give us a shot of life. Going to Red would be disastrous imo
I agree that with the state of the program we should hire the best coach that we can get, and promoting is a tough sell.

I don’t necessarily think Red will be disastrous though. We’ll see.

He did play pro basketball for 10 years and worked his way up as a coach from AAU and HS to Virginia Tech, to Syracuse.

It’s not like he never left Syracuse and never played or coached anywhere else.

There is one other reason to make an internal hire. $$$

If Red is hired and doesn’t work out we hire another guy. JB likely will be involved with SU. Some outside guy that you would want likely would pass on that.

Conferences have histories and distinctive culture. In the ACC we are an afterthought. We only get table scraps after the big old boys have feasted. In the B E we were the old boys and we were well fed. We had rival games that attracted national attention.

I guess you are going to be amazed when USC and UCLA become middle of the pack in their new league. Betting on it would be easy money.
I’ll ask again… do players HAVE to play for a certain conference based on their location? This isn’t even an antiquated take, it’s just wrong

If Red is hired and doesn’t work out we hire another guy. JB likely will be involved with SU. Some outside guy that you would want likely would pass on that.
But if we do that and say we get rid of him after 4 years that’s another 4 years of irrelevancy. I think that would be a fair judgement just by looking at the roster and what we have/don’t have coming in. Say we hire Red and he gets fired after 4 years now we are a decade out from making the sweet 16, let alone top 25. The same thing that happened with football will happen with hoops where so much time will have passed where we aren’t relevant we can find ourselves in a deep hole that will be even harder to climb out of.

I just don’t see how hiring an assistant from a team that hasn’t made the tournament in years will change things? We need a clean break from JB. Outside of Syracuse it’s not like Red is a big name. I don’t see him attracting 16/17 year old recruits. I would rather go Gerry but I think we run into the same issues. I think if we’re serious about getting this program back on the right track and ready to spend some money we can attract a top level HC. Idk what Wildhack would even consider. Just looking at the stands you can see you have an apathetic fan base that doesn’t want more of the same. We aren’t even entertaining anymore. If there is 1 program in the country that needs a new direction it’s us and we have to do it before it’s too late.

Sooooo… nothing, eh? Really inspires confidence.
Out of curiosity, did Red land any major recruits from his start with SU through 2016?

I get that JB has been more burden than draw in the past few years, so it may be tough to assess just how good a recruiter anyone on the staff may be. Things went horrifically south starting in 2017.

However, prior to that, we were landing classes with multiple top 100 guys. 2016 was Battle, Moyer and Thompson. 2015 was Malachi, Lydon and Howard (damn that was a good class). 2014 was McCullough and Joseph.

Was Red primarily responsible for any of those guys?
This has been posted by many, including by me a few day ago. Jerami Grant (he’s pretty darn good!), McCullough, Tyler Ennis, Oshae, Marek, Quincy, Elijah Hughes, Frank Howard, Thompson, and more. Oh and Judah Mintz.

Jalen Carey was a top 50 kid who flamed out but he was highly rated. Same with Benny. Not all recruits pan out.

This has been posted by many, including by me a few day ago. Jerami Grant (he’s pretty darn good!), McCullough, Tyler Ennis, Oshae, Marek, Quincy, Elijah Hughes, Frank Howard, Thompson, and more. Oh and Judah Mintz.

Jalen Carey was a top 50 kid who flamed out but he was highly rated. Same with Benny. Not all recruits pan out.
I was asking sincerely so thank you for responding. That’s a good list. Makes me feel much better.

What about Mike Brey as bench coach for Red? It's pretty clear he was forced into retirement by ND and still wants to coach.

What about Mike Brey as bench coach for Red? It's pretty clear he was forced into retirement by ND and still wants to coach.
Have you seen Brey teams play defense?

I agree that with the state of the program we should hire the best coach that we can get, and promoting is a tough sell.

I don’t necessarily think Red will be disastrous though. We’ll see.

He did play pro basketball for 10 years and worked his way up as a coach from AAU and HS to Virginia Tech, to Syracuse.

It’s not like he never left Syracuse and never played or coached anywhere else.

Wasn't he an assistant coach at VA Tech for 1 season? Outside of SU he has very little experience.

Yeah he could be ready for the Martelli at Michigan type of role

My one concern would be he would be useless in fixing our defensive woes, his defenses were usually horrible

But if we do that and say we get rid of him after 4 years that’s another 4 years of irrelevancy. I think that would be a fair judgement just by looking at the roster and what we have/don’t have coming in. Say we hire Red and he gets fired after 4 years now we are a decade out from making the sweet 16, let alone top 25. The same thing that happened with football will happen with hoops where so much time will have passed where we aren’t relevant we can find ourselves in a deep hole that will be even harder to climb out of.

I just don’t see how hiring an assistant from a team that hasn’t made the tournament in years will change things? We need a clean break from JB. Outside of Syracuse it’s not like Red is a big name. I don’t see him attracting 16/17 year old recruits. I would rather go Gerry but I think we run into the same issues. I think if we’re serious about getting this program back on the right track and ready to spend some money we can attract a top level HC. Idk what Wildhack would even consider. Just looking at the stands you can see you have an apathetic fan base that doesn’t want more of the same. We aren’t even entertaining anymore. If there is 1 program in the country that needs a new direction it’s us and we have to do it before it’s too late.

And then the next guys comes in and has a 150 million dollar facility behind him tacked onto Melo and JB way in the rear-view mirror by that point.

Even if JB goes today, tomorrow, whenever, this wouldn't be like Babers leaving and on the next flight to the West Coast. JB is going to be at Cuse and likely pretty engaged - and rightly so there's work to be done. Who the heck would take that gig that we would want?

If Red doesn't work out and we fire him after a few years then let's hope we make it a twofer and fire the AD as well. This is all on him if this doesn't turn out well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom