What I expect at this point… | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

I’m tired of the conversation about SU basketball being all about Boeheim. I want the focus on the team and great players. I have great respect for JB for what’s he’s done for SU, but the last thing I want is another year of conversations about the zone, stupid comments, and attacks on the media. There’s absolutely no reason to run this back again. It would be depressing to go through this another year. He has to retire sometime, why delay the inevitable? A fresh change is desperately needed for this program. It would be depressing to do this all over again. If anyone thinks it would be better next year, they’re just kidding themselves. Get on with it.

I’m tired of the conversation about SU basketball being all about Boeheim. I want the focus on the team and great players. I have great respect for JB for what’s he’s done for SU, but the last thing I want is another year of conversations about the zone, stupid comments, and attacks on the media. There’s absolutely no reason to run this back again. It would be depressing to go through this another year. He has to retire sometime, why delay the inevitable? A fresh change is desperately needed for this program. It would be depressing to do this all over again. If anyone thinks it would be better next year, they’re just kidding themselves. Get on with it.
If, the entire team came back, Jesse, Joe, Judah and pop in an experienced scoring forward, then I would buy into next season. But the odds of that happening are much less than 100%.

It took Dick Baddour three swings to replace Dean Smith.

Do we have the Brand capital to need that many cuts at this? Hopefully we don't have to play that question out.

Exactly where I'm at. Even if I'm skeptical about the idea of Adrian. it will be exciting for me just to have something new to look forward to at this point.

Even if JB goes today, tomorrow, whenever, this wouldn't be like Babers leaving and on the next flight to the West Coast. JB is going to be at Cuse and likely pretty engaged - and rightly so there's work to be done. Who the heck would take that gig that we would want?
I agree the next coach doesnt want JB casting a shadow over the program and they are big shoes to fill. This is where you need to make an offer they cant refu$e. But that has not been the schools m.o. for trying to land big name coaches so I'm not surprised about the internal route unfortunately.

Exactly! And this is why I said its a distraction, a dark cloud over the Athletic Department and yet someone didnt understand how its a distraction.

How many coaches are successful after age 75? Id bet the list is short and distinguished.

I will take a step further, how many guys coach at all after 75? Again, probably not many.

I was asking sincerely so thank you for responding. That’s a good list. Makes me feel much better.

Except who’s he landing now and over the last few years?

If Red doesn't work out and we fire him after a few years then let's hope we make it a twofer and fire the AD as well. This is all on him if this doesn't turn out well.

If Babers gets 8 years playing under .500 then how many years will JW give Autry. 10-12 ? A Syracuse guy will never get tossed within a few years. We’ll be regulated to the NIT for at least the next decade. JW should get tossed then to.

Last edited:
I was blasted for years on this board for saying we were going to hire an alum because that's what the basketball alumni prefer. Just listen to Devo's podcasts. All these guys wanted Hop, Autry, or Gmac. Like it or not they have a big voice.

If Babers gets 8 years playing under .500 then how many years will JW give Autry. 10-12 ? A Syracuse guy will never get tossed within a few years. We’ll be regulated to the NIT for at least the next decade. JW should get tossed to then.

Shafer got 3 and GRob got 4.

Babers had the best season in 20 years in year 3, so I’m sure that basically reset his clock and probably added a bonus year or two on.

If Babers gets 8 years playing under .500 then how many years will JW give Autry. 10-12 ? A Syracuse guy will never get tossed within a few years. We’ll be regulated to the NIT for at least the next decade. JW should get tossed to then.
Cant see Autry getting 10-12 if it is like the past 9, he won't have the equity built up, dome will be empty, etc.

It took Dick Baddour three swings to replace Dean Smith.

But the first 2 only got 3 years each then they went and hired a BIG name Roy Williams. I have no confidence that Wilhack would pull the trigger in 3 years on a Syracuse guy and do it 2x in a row. The first guy will get 6 years alone.

I was asking sincerely so thank you for responding. That’s a good list. Makes me feel much better.
No worries. These threads are enormous so you’re not going to catch everything. I will say I’m not necessarily advocating for Red. (I think I’d prefer an outside hire, depending on who they can get.) I do think he’s a good recruiter and can probably get good players to come here and play for him as head coach. But I don’t know his coaching skills beyond that.

Shafer got 3 and GRob got 4.

Babers had the best season in 20 years in year 3, so I’m sure that basically reset his clock and probably added a bonus year or two on.

Different ADs but I know all the particulars and was sort of being tongue in cheek. Autry would likely get a minimum of 5 years.

I’m with crowd that thinks we need a fresh reset. And we don’t need Syracuse guys. It’s not football where there are recruiting limitations and you need northeast coaches who have contacts and understand the challenges yadda yadda.

But the first 2 only got 3 years each then they went and hired a BIG name Roy Williams. I have no confidence that Wilhack would pull the trigger in 3 years on a Syracuse guy and do it 2x in a row. The first guy will get 6 years alone.

Doherty was literally having meltdowns on the sidelines, he was in over his head wih that gig.

I agree the next coach doesnt want JB casting a shadow over the program and they are big shoes to fill. This is where you need to make an offer they cant refu$e. But that has not been the schools m.o. for trying to land big name coaches so I'm not surprised about the internal route unfortunately.

For who? I mean it's either a big bump for some mid-major guy who might take it because it'll be the best offer they'll ever get (hope not) or the "dream candidates" here have a school that can match.

I can say for certain JW will do everything possible to get the basketball program to succeed. He wants us competing at the top of the ACC. The fans are going to need to give Red a chance. If he doesn't turn it around he will be let go, but he likely will be the coach and we should root for him to win games.

This bottoming out crap and saying JW doesn't care about the program is just not true. All because he isn't going to hire who the fans want.

And remember this board wanted Babers extended in 2018. There were hissy fits on the football board worrying that he was going to go to USC in September that year.

Doherty was literally having meltdowns on the sidelines, he was in over his head wih that gig.

Agreed he was over his head. Similar to how Hopkins would’ve been to.

Being a school like Syracuse hiring a guy who’s never been a head coach is beyond risky. How many times does that even work out?

These assistants can’t recruit and they’re magically going to be able to recruit once they take over?

Syracuse needs to go hire a big boy coach who’s proven. They’ve unfortunately pigeonholed themselves into the worst possible position. Forced to continue to let the head guy keep coaching and forced to promote one of the assistants who are the first mates on the sinking ship and have no experience running their own.

It’s worth nothing they were all UNC guys.

I can say for certain JW will do everything possible to get the basketball program to succeed. He wants us competing at the top of the ACC. The fans are going to need to give Red a chance. If he doesn't turn it around he will be let go, but he likely will be the coach and we should root for him to win games.

This bottoming out crap and saying JW doesn't care about the program is just not true. All because he isn't going to hire who the fans want.

And remember this board wanted Babers extended in 2018. There were hissy fits on the football board worrying that he was going to go to USC in September that year.

This is basketball, so If you’re hiring a guy that fans need to be patient with then maybe you’re hiring the wrong guy.

It is worth noting and it’s also worth noting the guy who righted their ship was a proven winning head coach.
That point was already made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom