What I expect at this point… | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

Agreed he was over his head. Similar to how Hopkins would’ve been to.

Being a school like Syracuse hiring a guy who’s never been a head coach is beyond risky. How many times does that even work out?

These assistants can’t recruit and they’re magically going to be able to recruit once they take over?

Syracuse needs to go hire a big boy coach who’s proven. They’ve unfortunately pigeonholed themselves into the worst possible position. Forced to continue to let the head guy keep coaching and forced to promote one of the assistants who are the first mates on the sinking ship and have no experience running their own.

He had a good year at ND, UNC is just too much for most people.

Somewhere in here a poster listed Red's recruits, and it's an encouraging list hitting where we need to be.

Proven big boys don't need to come here. Unless you can get a guy like Miller in that spot.

Reds been Jim's assistant for quite a while. Jims the alpha and what I wonder is how would/will the current players react to AA being the HC? I realize they won't all be at SU but how does he communicate and can they look at him as the HC as Jim has a pretty big shadow,

Past history has shown that not a lot of Boeheim assistants have done well as HC's. And that's being kind.

Red seems like a good teacher and laid back which could be a very good thing. He's been at other schools and jobs which helps broaden his experience.

My biggest question regarding Red is...can he be him and not be JAB #2? My point being not thinking "What would Jim do?" but how much did he learn from Jim and incorporate himself into the HC by using all his past experience thus making his own decisions, not a what would Jim do.

If he's an aggressive recruiter and is Red Autry coaching SU, I think he'll do well on the Hill.

Let me add if the past players split on him him because Red is doing it his way, that could add or subtract support especially if they struggle early. That said, if he's a Boeheim clone and is struggling...this will bring forth the big time outside hire. Curious on how patient the fans and former players will be if this happens, my guess is not much.

I think Red will be a good choice for HC if he does what I'd like him to do and be Red the HC. He'll be the best long term assistant Boeheim has had as an HC which will bide well for all of us.

I can say for certain JW will do everything possible to get the basketball program to succeed. He wants us competing at the top of the ACC. The fans are going to need to give Red a chance. If he doesn't turn it around he will be let go, but he likely will be the coach and we should root for him to win games.

This bottoming out crap and saying JW doesn't care about the program is just not true. All because he isn't going to hire who the fans want.

And remember this board wanted Babers extended in 2018. There were hissy fits on the football board worrying that he was going to go to USC in September that year.
What has he done to deserve the job other than being JB’s assistant coach. Nobody in this position would hire from within. Years of recruiting falling off a cliff, missing the tournament, and getting progressively worse. But let’s hire an assistant from the same program. That’s mind blowing. This isn’t K handing the program over the Scheyer. This is a program that is desperate for a fresh start and that’s a clean break from JB.

I was blasted for years on this board for saying we were going to hire an alum because that's what the basketball alumni prefer. Just listen to Devo's podcasts. All these guys wanted Hop, Autry, or Gmac. Like it or not they have a big voice.
Just amazing that the alumni and AD don’t have the insight and basketball acumen of some of the posters in this board. Why can’t they see that we are doomed for failure and irrelevance.

The negativity here boards on being ridiculous. A 17-14 season with a 10-10 conference record us rock bottom? What major program HASN’T experienced that in the last 20 years. Love him or hate him, JB has at most one more year. To think that the AD hasn’t put the effort into formulating a viable succession plan is asinine. If he determines that Red is the best option it is not out of laziness or fear of JB. It’s after a reasoned analysis of alternatives and based on extensive input from a multitude of sources internal and external.

To assume the next coach, if internal, will be a JB clone and will doom us to a pit of mediocrity is the only position in this thread that is lazy and, frankly, ignorant.

He had a good year at ND, UNC is just too much for most people.

Somewhere in here a poster listed Red's recruits, and it's an encouraging list hitting where we need to be.

Proven big boys don't need to come here. Unless you can get a guy like Miller in that spot.

But proven big boys should be our target. Act like a blue blood and go after them. Make them an offer that says we’re top 10 and we want McDs kids and we want crowds back in the 30Ks .

Red unfortunately hasn’t done much lately on the recruiting side. We’re battling for fringe top 100 kids. Kids like Boogie Fland need to be taking OVs here.

Except who’s he landing now and over the last few years?
I’m willing to give a mulligan to the staff for recruiting since Buddy arrived. I suspect that made landing guys very difficult, as did JBs advanced age and the perpetual question about his retirement.

That’s why I wanted to know how Autry recruited prior to 2017. He landed several top 100 kids it seems, what is precisely what this program needs A LOT more of.

I’m willing to give a mulligan to the staff for recruiting since Buddy arrived. I suspect that made landing guys very difficult, as did JBs advanced age and the perpetual question about his retirement.

That’s why I wanted to know how Autry recruited prior to 2017. He landed several top 100 kids it seems, what is precisely what this program needs A LOT more of.

Great point, and Id agree. Not just Buddy but Joe too.

But proven big boys should be our target. Act like a blue blood and go after them. Make them an offer that says we’re top 10 and we want McDs kids and we want crowds back in the 30Ks .

Red unfortunately hasn’t done much lately on the recruiting side. We’re battling for fringe top 100 kids. Kids like Boogie Fland need to be taking OVs here.

One name (not being a jerk really curious).

What has he done to deserve the job other than being JB’s assistant coach. Nobody in this position would hire from within. Years of recruiting falling off a cliff, missing the tournament, and getting progressively worse. But let’s hire an assistant from the same program. That’s mind blowing. This isn’t K handing the program over the Scheyer. This is a program that is desperate for a fresh start and that’s a clean break from JB.
I'm firmly in the camp that JB has hamstrung our assistants, but I get your opinion. I just don't think people should be shocked if Red gets the job. There's a lot of faith in Red, and even Gerry by the basketball alumni and the AD.

And they are not going to do things the way JB did.

Last edited:
Some problems with recruiting top talent is cash and what are they asking for? Jim hasn't had the cash and seemed to back off those who wanted extra'$. Will the next HC be willing to go the next step and find those cash flows to get these top players?

I'd venture a guess Red won't tarnish SU like an outsider might and maybe a reason why JW will go with him.

Yeah, I'll support Red wholeheartedly. Love Red. Been following him since high school. I actually like that he went off and has non-Cuse experience. I don't think he's a terrible choice.

But that doesn't mean that JW has done everything he can. If Red beat out a pool, behind the scenes, of Shaka Smart, Langel, Miller, etc... amazing. But let's be real, that's not what happened.

We're getting the best option in a very limited pool, most likely.

People think just because we aren't 4 wins like Louisiville bad that we aren't trending downward significantly.

If it's Red, let's do it now, give him the full support, let him fix the recruiting situation, install a new defense, update the offense to something more contemporary and roll.

But let's not pretend that our AD, who is an alum and superfan, went full on national search.

Yeah, I'll support Red wholeheartedly. Love Red. Been following him since high school. I actually like that he went off and has non-Cuse experience. I don't think he's a terrible choice.

But that doesn't mean that JW has done everything he can. If Red beat out a pool, behind the scenes, of Shaka Smart, Langel, Miller, etc... amazing. But let's be real, that's not what happened.

People think just because we aren't 4 wins like Louisiville bad that we aren't trending downward significantly.

If it's Red, let's do it now, give him the full support, let him fix the recruiting situation, install a new defense, update the offense to something more contemporary and roll.

But let's not pretend that our AD, who is an alum and superfan, went full on national search.

That about sums it up.

It took Dick Baddour three swings to replace Dean Smith.

Gut was old, but he went to two Final Fours. And didn't Doherty recruit the core of their 05 championship team?

Gut was old, but he went to two Final Fours. And didn't Doherty recruit the core of their 05 championship team?

BG was about the same age Jay Wright is now.

And Doherty did. He also almost beat up Chris Collins in a game.

I'm firmly in the camp that JB has hamstrung our assistants, but I get your opinion. I just don't think people should be shocked if Red gets the job. There's a lot of faith in Red and even Gerry by the basketball alumni and the AD.

And they are not going to do things the way JB did.
I’m sure there is a lot of faith in Red and Gerry. They’ve been assistants for years. But outside of Syracuse who knows Red, and the last time Gerry played these recruits weren’t even born. Thinking highly of them is great. Wildhack can give them a great reference , but the last thing this program needs is a hire from within. Before Hop left he even had disagreements with Boeheim as far as player recruitment and the direction of the program which in hindsight shows Hop was correct on a lot of things. JB needs to be removed from the program. I am grateful for his 40+ years but it’s time to move on. This is Wildhack’s first big hire for the flagship program. Going the ultra conservative route would be a major disappointment and a huge red flag on him. Sure we’re doing good in the Olympic sports but under his watch the 2 flagship programs have squeaked by in football and tanked in hoops. With possible conference realignment down the road we need these programs near the level it was or we could eventually find ourselves left out of the big boy division . That’s why this hire has to be right.

Disagree on a lot of the points but I respect your opinion.

Would Red retain Gerry? Would Gerry want to stay?

I’m sure there is a lot of faith in Red and Gerry. They’ve been assistants for years. But outside of Syracuse who knows Red, and the last time Gerry played these recruits weren’t even born. Thinking highly of them is great. Wildhack can give them a great reference , but the last thing this program needs is a hire from within. Before Hop left he even had disagreements with Boeheim as far as player recruitment and the direction of the program which in hindsight shows Hop was correct on a lot of things. JB needs to be removed from the program. I am grateful for his 40+ years but it’s time to move on. This is Wildhack’s first big hire for the flagship program. Going the ultra conservative route would be a major disappointment and a huge red flag on him. Sure we’re doing good in the Olympic sports but under his watch the 2 flagship programs have squeaked by in football and tanked in hoops. With possible conference realignment down the road we need these programs near the level it was or we could eventually find ourselves left out of the big boy division . That’s why this hire has to be right.
We weren't getting the pipe dream hires people have mentioned on here for the past decade. I could see Langel coming here, but even mid major coaches have risks. See Archie Miller at Indiana.

Do you know JW didn't do his due diligence?

If Red wins 20 plus games next year and the year after nobody will care.

We weren't getting the pipe dream hires people have mentioned on here for the past decade. I could see Langel coming here, but even mid major coaches have risks. See Archie Miller at Indiana.

Do you know JW didn't do his due diligence?

If Red wins 20 plus games next year and the year after nobody will care.

So those were the only two options? Pipe dream candidates or Red?

Would Red retain Gerry? Would Gerry want to stay?
If Autry is the next HC, then McNamara needs to get outta dodge.

More than anything, he needs HC experience, assuming his goal is to be a HC.

Also, if Autry doesn't work out here there is precisely zero percent chance that GMac would be hired to replace him (edit for clarity: if he was an assistant here).

Last edited:
I don't think the skepticism is disrespectful of our assistant coaches. We have struggled as a program in a relative sense to the benchmark established on really all fronts. We've known them as players and people when they've been in the public eye. As coaches we don't know them that well other than the fact they haven't ran their own program yet. Given we are at a point of transition in the game itself let alone as a program adds more mystery and drama to the whole thing. So, yeah I think the concern is fair. I also think the perception of who can and would want to make a national short list is inflated an unrealistic to an extent but still some folks should get a look hands down.

Given the above here is where I'm at with Red after reading everything so far.

If he can bring back and bring in the talent, including being 100 pct committed to the portal and if he is also extremely well liked by the kids, then he has a huge part of being successful in today's environment checked off. The portal is key and being a players centric coach, given the preferences of today's youth is also key.

The next part is X's and O's. This is where others mentioning a bench coach is key. Deploy a modern defensive strategy, use what has been learned offensively with a player based approach. Finally, look at what works in terms of the modern lineup and position less hoops. This paragraph of needs is the part that likely takes the longest but if Red has the former paragraph down- he has a great foundation.

The rest is just like the weather- going to have to see what the sky looks like when it gets here.

Conferences have histories and distinctive culture. In the ACC we are an afterthought. We only get table scraps after the big old boys have feasted. In the B E we were the old boys and we were well fed. We had rival games that attracted national attention.

I guess you are going to be amazed when USC and UCLA become middle of the pack in their new league. Betting on it would be easy money.

When we were good we had incredible prime time feature games against Duke on ESPN. The ACC has a vested interest in featuring its best assets - which is why they acquired us. There isn't a smoke-filled backroom where the old southern boys decide how to screw the northerners.

The fact is, we've been bad and haven't given them or our TV partners any reason to feature us any more than anyone else in the league. Our problems from a recruiting, talent, wins perspective are all on us. Blaming the ACC is loser talk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom