What I expect at this point… | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

Sean Miller, Pitino, Jerome Tang, Dennis Gates, Drew Valentine, Micah Shrewsberry, Niko Medved (Colorado State), Grant McCasland, Boynton (it’s hard to recruit to Oklahoma State…he might do well here.).
I would take a pass on Drew Valentine as he still needs to proof he can win with his recruits. Dead last in the A-10 does no get me excited. He might be available for an interview if they get bounced by St. Joe's tomorrow. I've watched them several times and this years team is a turnover machine.

One year does not make nor break a program. Isn't it more important to get the right HC, than hit the portal in March vs April?

Kids aren't going to sign with another school the day of. There will be plenty of kids available in April. Especially kids who don't want to announce until their season is over.

It would be irresponsible to just grab the best 2-3 kids on March 13, when better kids may be available in April.
Agreed, might want to wait as players off tournament teams probably wont enter until their season is over.

Sean Miller, Pitino, Jerome Tang, Dennis Gates, Drew Valentine, Micah Shrewsberry, Niko Medved (Colorado State), Grant McCasland, Boynton (it’s hard to recruit to Oklahoma State).

Miller - concern is with his past and I don't see the university seeing him as a short list guy. I'd be happy to see that being wrong though- can't see it - the AZ stuff is still fresh.

Pitino- short term rental and all the history... we love the idea as fans but realistic??

Tang- Clearly a good coach - has the chops. But what does he bring coming East connections wise? One year at Kstate and gone? Is this just a name or is there smoke that would make him a short list candidate?

Gates- See Tang.

Valentine- Year 2 they have been bad. He inherited a great system year 1. Year 2 he's looked over matched. Need to see more.

Shrewsbury- this one was on my watch list.. which I knew I was missing someone. Don't know his recruiting background but Painter is a hell of a coach so anyone from that system is worth a look.

MedVed and Mccassland not as familiar- what's the allure?

Boynton- he is killing it in recruiting - results aren't there though on the court. Obviously a Brooklyn guy.

Just my two cents and questions.

Are they hot?
Just my opinion but...

John Candy No GIF by Laff

It would have made more sense if Red was made HC anywhere between 2015-2019. But at this point we need someone who can build a program. JB has taken us so far down that this is no longer a maintenance job. If you need to build a program from scratch why would you hire within? Or with someone who has no experience building a program? Hiring within is blind faith.

Also why do you think we have SU alumni as assistants? JB wanted yes men. He didn't hire them because they were the best guys available.

If Red is HC then hopefully we can get Hop (assuming he gets fired at UW) to come back or add Mike Brey to the bench.

Brey? Get donors to spend money on NIL and don't worry so much about who's coach. Just get someone competent and relatable to the players and we'll be miles ahead of where we are today.

It's a fair point. I'd say I put more faith in guys getting better than I do in us pulling better dudes from the portal.
That depends on who the next HC is.

I understand this is not apples to apples. But does anyone remember when we hired SS because we tried to keep continuity instead of doing a real national search?

If Jim stepped down several years ago before these past 2 seasons (rock bottom) then I would still be against it because I want a national search, Best candidate possible. But it would be understandable. Now we are at Rock bottom giving a coach who has never been a coach before reigns to a top 10 program in a bad situarion. Now, if Red fails how many years does he get to turn it around? If he flames out after 3-4 years we are now looking at 13 years of poor performance. That becomes even harder to overcome and attract a big time coach.

I think this would be a terrible decision to hand the program over to an inexperienced coach and could set us back a decade, not just years.

Gate, Traynor, FLJ all have something in common. They were all head coaches before coming back home to Syracuse. Gate has been training for years in the wings to become a head coach for the men and has the clout to back it up. Red is nothing like gate in that sense. This would be unprecedented to me to give the program to a guy that has only been an assistant coach at Va tech and the worst part of Jim’s Syracuse career. What exactly did he do as an assistant? Recruiting has never been worse and the skill level on the court has never been worse. I am not saying that is all his fault. But I’m not exactly sure what he has actually done to get this position other than play at Syracuse University? Who cares about keeping the team together or what Jim wanted. Forgoing a national search could be devastating to this program.

PS. I hope I’m wrong. Just don’t see the positives of hiring red without any type of search.

I understand this is not apples to apples. But does anyone remember when we hired SS because we tried to keep continuity instead of doing a real national search?

If Jim stepped down several years ago before these past 2 seasons (rock bottom) then I would still be against it because I want a national search, Best candidate possible. But it would be understandable. Now we are at Rock bottom giving a coach who has never been a coach before reigns to a top 10 program in a bad situarion. Now, if Red fails how many years does he get to turn it around? If he flames out after 3-4 years we are now looking at 13 years of poor performance. That becomes even harder to overcome and attract a big time coach.

I think this would be a terrible decision to hand the program over to an inexperienced coach and could set us back a decade, not just years.

Gate, Traynor, FLJ all have something in common. They were all head coaches before coming back home to Syracuse. Gate has been training for years in the wings to become a head coach for the men and has the clout to back it up. Red is nothing like gate in that sense. This would be unprecedented to me to give the program to a guy that has only been an assistant coach at Va tech and the worst part of Jim’s Syracuse career. What exactly did he do as an assistant? Recruiting has never been worse and the skill level on the court has never been worse. I am not saying that is all his fault. But I’m not exactly sure what he has actually done to get this position other than play at Syracuse University? Who cares about keeping the team together or what Jim wanted. Forgoing a national search could be devastating to this program.

PS. I hope I’m wrong. Just don’t see the positives of hiring red without any type of search.
Marrone stepped down in January. Most ADs are going to stay in-house when the coach leaves that late.

The biggest thing for me with Red is that I feel like we know so little. What is his impact on the existing kids, how is he with the press and the community? What is his approach? Gerry has been out there more on podcasts and radio shows where as Red feels like an unknown. I also will say that those things don't make a good coach or program builder either so... with so little time I'm going with the flow hoping those here advocating so much for Red.. are right.

Agreed. If Red doesn’t work out, we know the next search will 100% be external and hopefully at that time, there is a more natural pairing out there. I think most can admit there wasn’t an “obvious” candidate out there for us.

If Red works, great. If not, it’ll be a national search in 3-4 years
I’d guess in 2 years. There won’t be enough patience for 3-4 years.

The biggest thing for me with Red is that I feel like we know so little. What is his impact on the existing kids, how is he with the press and the community? What is his approach? Gerry has been out there more on podcasts and radio shows where as Red feels like an unknown. I also will say that those things don't make a good coach or program builder either so... with so little time I'm going with the flow hoping those here advocating so much for Red.. are right.
Red doesn’t carry a room well. Kind of well known.

Jake specifically said that Benny and Bell transferring was simply his speculation. We really have no idea who might come back. I gotta believe that if Judah doesn’t turn pro, he will be back playing for Red.
But he’ll need a talented two guard beside him if he returns. If it’s not Joe, we’ll need to strike it in the portal.

Red doesn’t carry a room well. Kind of well known.

In what setting/context? As for well known... I'd argue it's not based on reading the board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom