What is the staff doing wrong? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is the staff doing wrong?

I saw this post and it got me thinking. And helped crystallize some of my own thoughts.

I think you are onto something here. Many of us have commented on the complete lack of fundamentals this team shows - failing to box out, not reading or use screens properly, etc, etc. etc.

I know JB has said in the past that he doesn't spend practice time working on these things because he expects the players to all have these fundamentals before they arrive on campus. I think that's his biggest misread of today's players. I just don't think teaching fundamentals occurs like it did in the past. The AAU culture is all about playing the game, but doesn't seem to emphasize practicing it the way kids used to.

Thoughts?

Our players execute basic footwork so poorly year-to-year that the rest of the fundamentals are bound to be terrible. Our players' inability to use both hands is another annual issue that obstructs consistent success. Perhaps shifting the emphasis in terms of what is taught and drilled during each and every practice would help, but I don't expect to see significant change at this point in Coach Boeheim's career.

For the most part today, you had 3-4 first year players on the floor. Remember that Gillon and White are just that when it comes to our system.

Add that to the fact that ND played a darn good defensive game and we couldn't rebound or play defense well and you have what you saw.
Then the staff did a poor job evaluating(Gillon/white) what they did at the other schools as I am sure they could have found tapes of them in real college games.Has Boeheim walked away evaluating these kids and left the decisions all up to his assistants? If he did then we are really in big trouble moving forward.

And when was the last time you heard a recruit say JB was at my game last night?

Also I read today I believe was a USA Today story where Fultz of WA. claims the staff watched everyone of his high school games...That is what I call an effort on recruiting skills 101

Last edited:
Roberson loves doing that. He leaves his feet and just flies by the the shooter, as if he thinks that's what you're supposed to do. Leaves him in great position to rebound. :rolleyes:

Our staff coaches that technique (at least they did as recently as a few seasons ago). It's taught based on the same rationale Boeheim employs for playing 100% zone--to discourage opponents to shoot three-pointers. The problem is that teams know this and coach shot-faking. Additionally, modern players practice shooting from distance often enough to effectively shoot over defenders that have their hands down the entire defensive possession until the last second as they frantically charge at the shooter. Bad shooters may still miss (and Boeheim is banking on it), but there are less of them currently because most non-centers work on shooting the three during offensive drills.

You're correct, though; this technique creates more rebounding challenges.

Our staff coaches that technique (at least they did as recently as a few seasons ago). It's taught based on the same rationale Boeheim employs for playing 100% zone--to discourage opponents to shoot three-pointers. The problem is that teams know this and coach shot-faking. Additionally, modern players practice shooting from distance often enough to effectively shoot over defenders that have their hands down the entire defensive possession until the last second as they frantically charge at the shooter. Bad shooters may still miss (and Boeheim is banking on it), but there are less of them currently because most non-centers work on shooting the three during offensive drills.

You're correct, though; this technique creates more rebounding challenges.

A controlled close out followed by pivoting and boxing out the shooter would be great on occasion. Don't recall seeing that.

A controlled close out followed by pivoting and boxing out the shooter would be great on occasion. Don't recall seeing that.

I can't remember anyone getting their own board though. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it's something I'm going to watch for next time. Seems like most shooters just hold their follow through and watch the shot.

Done right, that flying out on the shooter can be really disruptive. Especially if they are just a little bit afraid you're probably going to hit them on the way by. And if the rebound is grabbed by your teammate, it makes for a great runout. That's how I get half my points these days when I play. Okay, not really, it's how I get my exercise trying to catch up to my defender when my shot misses badly after the defender runs by me while shooting.

That's how most close-outs are taught. I'm all for it.

That's how most close-outs are taught. I'm all for it.

Here's what I don't understand. Why do our guys close out and then put their arms up? Why can't they get the arm up on the way to the shooter, instead of waiting until they get there? There's no way to affect a shot in that manner.

I can't remember anyone getting their own board though. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it's something I'm going to watch for next time. Seems like most shooters just hold their follow through and watch the shot.

Done right, that flying out on the shooter can be really disruptive. Especially if they are just a little bit afraid you're probably going to hit them on the way by. And if the rebound is grabbed by your teammate, it makes for a great runout. That's how I get half my points these days when I play. Okay, not really, it's how I get my exercise trying to catch up to my defender when my shot misses badly after the defender runs by me while shooting.

I get it but we are an awful rebounding team. Anything that could up our board numbers would be great.

Last edited:
I get it but we are an awful rebounding team. Anything that could up are board numbers would be great.

I think your point is very valid, I just can't remember seeing anyone take advantage today. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though, and I am going to watch for it next time because you've piqued my curiosity.

I think your point is very valid, I just can't remember seeing anyone take advantage today. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though, and I am going to watch for it next time because you've piqued my curiosity.

Don't recall specific instances today. It has victimized us in other games. ND did use pump fakes and then extra passes but I don't think undisciplined close-outs were to blame. I just remember seeing Robey doing it a lot, in particular, this season.

If I hear Bilas say one more time "they have habits, but they're not Syracuse habits", I may vomit.
I dare say that Jay Bilas knows basketball better than the average poster in this forum.

This board is like Lake Wobegon. We're all above average.

More like Camp Crystal Lake.
image.jpeg

I dare say that Jay Bilas knows basketball better than the average poster in this forum.

Eh, he's just parroting Boeheim. They both obviously know a lot about basketball, but Bilas has increasingly become Boeheim's mouthpiece in recent years.

Eh, he's just parroting Boeheim. They both obviously know a lot about basketball, but Bilas has increasingly become Boeheim's mouthpiece in recent years.

I also don't believe he sees SU games very much.

So many things wrong. Doing just about nothing right offensively Xs and Os wise. If you are going to run a PnR offense you should probably know how to deliberately teach it depending on how the teams cover and guard with their ball screen coverage. Defensively/rebounding we stink. Leadership wise, many of the players don't like Boeheim and every one is playing with zero confidence (except for TL and Battle some)

Boeheim didn't forget how to coach during one offseason.

The staff is not recruiting enough good players. We've seen visions of it ever since Ennis and Grant left early but it has officially caught up to them. And based on the current recruiting class it's only going to get worse.

No JBs negativity has come back to haunt him. Bad Karma. You simply dont treat anyone let alone young adults like this today and not have it bite you in the arse. He has lost the team. Its obvious. Its sad but he has no one to blame but himself.

I saw this post and it got me thinking. And helped crystallize some of my own thoughts.

I think you are onto something here. Many of us have commented on the complete lack of fundamentals this team shows - failing to box out, not reading or use screens properly, etc, etc. etc.

I know JB has said in the past that he doesn't spend practice time working on these things because he expects the players to all have these fundamentals before they arrive on campus. I think that's his biggest misread of today's players. I just don't think teaching fundamentals occurs like it did in the past. The AAU culture is all about playing the game, but doesn't seem to emphasize practicing it the way kids used to.

Thoughts?
AAU breeds specimens/recruits, not basketball players. Fully agree. Just like baseball. Regarding recruitment, your job is to look the part long before it is to play the part.

AAU breeds specimens/recruits, not basketball players. Fully agree. Just like baseball. Regarding recruitment, your job is to look the part long before it is to play the part.

Untrue. There are plenty of basketball players out there, we go after length and athletes.

Only basketball players on our team are Battle and Lydon.

Its all about recruiting/player evaluation at the guard position. We brought in only good guard from Flynn until Ennis, and none since. Running JB's offense is extremely hard without guys who can handle the ball well.

We were able to get by in the past with excellent defense when the offense wasn't good, and now neither is good
MCW, Scoop, Cooney, Dion, Triche all say hi. The problem isn't the talent it's the lack of an offensive strategy beyond isos and playing a D that lets other teams dictate tempo.

The program is in a precarious position. Really need to hit on the 2018 class because next year doesn't look promising. The next 2-3 years is critical to keep the program from backsliding like our old BE peers. SH, SJ, Gtown, etc.

Gotta find good recruits, sign them, and develop them. Hop has a big task in front of him.

The program is in a precarious position. Really need to hit on the 2018 class because next year doesn't look promising. The next 2-3 years is critical to keep the program from backsliding like our old BE peers. SH, SJ, Gtown, etc.

Gotta find good recruits, sign them, and develop them. Hop has a big task in front of him.

Nothing is going to change until JB retires which he should do after the season but i dont believe he will.

Next Hop needs to hire a great recruiter.

Next Hop needs to introduce man to man

Next Hop needs to work his recruiting magic

Finally the admin needs to push the dome refurbishment.

We need change dramatic change.

New coaches, man D, Head coach as lead recruiter, new and improved venue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom