What is wrong with jb | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

What is wrong with jb

When was JB asked about Greensboro again?

He wasn't ranting and it wasn't a random quote. He was asked about his thoughts on NYC and he gave an opinion that is more fleshed out if you actually read the media report. He gave valid reasons as to why the ACC needs to look beyond playing in the sticks of Greensboro. You think the Big East becomes what it did if they remained in Providence because their offices were there? Dave Gavitt was a visionary well ahead of his time. 30+ years later and the ACC still doesn't get it.

And how's that old Big East faring today. The reality is JB has expressed on more than one occasion and in different ways that Syracuse joined ACC out of necessity and not desire. As a result each time he makes one of these pejorative quips it's going to get attention. Don't insult the rest of the league by pretending this is esoteric information.

if you can hold 20k that's more than enuf seats to hold fans traveling to see the tourney. secondly they are centrally located as regards the league. thirdly why do you want to piss on their tradition ?

1. Money - The league will benefit from playing in bigger cities.

2. Media spotlight - This helps #1.

3. Branding - Being THE league playing in THE conference tourney that everyone cares about. This helps #1.

4. Recruiting - Playing an awesome conference tourney in awesome locations (preferably one) helps recruiting. This helps with #1-3.

5. Fan experience (hotels, restaurants, bars near the arena).

Meanwhile, you have the reasons to keep it in Greensboro:

1. It's how they've done it before (when it was a different league).

2. It's near all the Carolina schools.

3. The arena has enough seats.

Right? Of course he would want the tournament 45 minutes from his house. I mean, Duke or UNC used to win that tournament almost every single year.

Not anymore. It's everybody's league now.

Carolina won the 2016 tournament in DC.

And how's that old Big East faring today. The reality is JB has expressed on more than one occasion and in different ways that Syracuse joined ACC out of necessity and not desire. As a result each time he makes one of these pejorative quips it's going to get attention. Don't insult the rest of the league by pretending this is esoteric information.

The way the old Big East is faring has nothing to do with MSG and everything to do with bringing in schools with goals that didn't line up with the conference, cutting deals for football-onlies, etc. The basketball conference was still doing great when it broke apart.

I mean, the Big 10 is playing it's conference tournament a week early just to play at MSG... and it doesn't have nearly as much of a Northeast footprint as the ACC does now. That's gotta say something.

Last but not least, one of the big reasons 'Cuse folks and JB were a little grumpy about going to the ACC was the loss of the Big East tournament at MSG. Almost everyone preaching about how the ACC should be there is doing so because that was arguably our favorite sporting event of the year, and the best one to attend in person. I know I was happy about pretty much everything else about the ACC, with the exception of losing a couple rivalries, which is what it is.

From reading lots of reactions around the whole internet to this thing, I have discovered that the original ACC teams are stuck in the 1980s when there conference was the original 8 or 9 teams, playing a round robin and having their nice little tournament in Greensboro. They never want that to change.

Most importantly, they think we (Cuse, Louisville, Pitt, Miami, BC and VT) jumped from the Big East to the ACC and they did us a huge favor. While true, we were lucky to get the invite, they fail to recognize the fact that all 6 of these teams saved the ACC as well. It is quite likely that the ACC would not exist as it is now without the expansions happening as they did. Maryland was poached and it is likely that other teams would have been poached if they did not strengthen their football and basketball brands.

This new ACC benefits both the new teams and the old teams who love their ACC. Times have changed and they don't realize that it is survival of the fittest, for both individual schools and for conferences. We are in the ACC to save our hide, and we were invited to save their hide.

I was pretty happy in the ACC until I saw the ignorant reactions to this quote and the complete lack of respect Cuse and these other former Big East teams get. F* them all from now on! I'm changing my avatar too.

1. Money - The league will benefit from playing in bigger cities.

2. Media spotlight - This helps #1.

3. Branding - Being THE league playing in THE conference tourney that everyone cares about. This helps #1.

4. Recruiting - Playing an awesome conference tourney in awesome locations (preferably one) helps recruiting. This helps with #1-3.

5. Fan experience (hotels, restaurants, bars near the arena).

Meanwhile, you have the reasons to keep it in Greensboro:

1. It's how they've done it before (when it was a different league).

2. It's near all the Carolina schools.

3. The arena has enough seats.

1. there weren't 20k fans yesterday and 2. the ACC doesn't suffer from a lack of hype.

This is an awesome thread.

Hey everyone, when's the next time the ACC tourney is scheduled for Greensboro?

Answer - 2020, long after JB is gone.

Again, why was this even part of his response?

Venues[edit]

Venue City State Appearances Last Years Notes
Greensboro Coliseum Greensboro North Carolina 28 2015 1967, 1971–75, 1977–80, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1995–98, 2003–04, 2006, 2010–11, 2013–15, 2020* [v 1]
Reynolds Coliseum Raleigh North Carolina 13 1966 1954–66
Charlotte Coliseum (II) Charlotte North Carolina 8 2002 1990–94, 1999–2000, 2002
Bojangles' Coliseum Charlotte North Carolina 3 1970 1968, 1969, 1970 [v 2]
Capital Centre Landover Maryland 3 1987 1976, 1981, 1987
Omni Coliseum Atlanta Georgia 3 1989 1983, 1985, 1989
Georgia Dome Atlanta Georgia 2 2009 2001, 2009
Verizon Center Washington D.C. 2 2016 2005, 2016 [v 3]
Barclays Center[3] Brooklyn New York 2 2017* 2017*, 2018*
Spectrum Center Charlotte North Carolina 2 2008 2008, 2019* [v 4]

Amalie Arena Tampa Florida 1 2007 2007 [v 5]
Philips Arena Atlanta Georgia 1 2012 2012

Carolina won the 2016 tournament in DC.

I am aware.

I'm also aware that a different team has won it in each of the last 6 years, where before that it would be much faster to list the years where someone other than UNC or Duke won. From 1980-2010, NC State won twice, Maryland won twice, Georgia Tech won 3, and Wake Forest won two. UNC won 9, and Duke won 13.

It might have made sense to hold it in Greensboro when half the league was an hour or less car ride away. That's not the case anymore.

i get more pissed about duke and the tar heels playing there every ncaa than i do about a ACCT game there.

Venues[edit]

Venue City State Appearances Last Years Notes
Greensboro Coliseum Greensboro North Carolina 28 2015 1967, 1971–75, 1977–80, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1995–98, 2003–04, 2006, 2010–11, 2013–15, 2020* [v 1]
Reynolds Coliseum Raleigh North Carolina 13 1966 1954–66
Charlotte Coliseum (II) Charlotte North Carolina 8 2002 1990–94, 1999–2000, 2002
Bojangles' Coliseum Charlotte North Carolina 3 1970 1968, 1969, 1970 [v 2]
Capital Centre Landover Maryland 3 1987 1976, 1981, 1987
Omni Coliseum Atlanta Georgia 3 1989 1983, 1985, 1989
Georgia Dome Atlanta Georgia 2 2009 2001, 2009
Verizon Center Washington D.C. 2 2016 2005, 2016 [v 3]
Barclays Center[3] Brooklyn New York 2 2017* 2017*, 2018*
Spectrum Center Charlotte North Carolina 2 2008 2008, 2019* [v 4]

Amalie Arena Tampa Florida 1 2007 2007 [v 5]
Philips Arena Atlanta Georgia 1 2012 2012

Bojangles Coliseum? That's big time, baby!

This is an awesome thread.

Hey everyone, when's the next time the ACC tourney is scheduled for Greensboro?

Answer - 2020, long after JB is gone.

Again, why was this even part of his response?

Because they asked him about it being in NY and he said it's a great place for the tournament to be, which led to the "it should be in a major city". Not sure where the left field thing is coming from.

The old Big East fell apart because half the league didn't play football, and most of the premier programs from it are in other leagues now. Dumb comment.

if you can hold 20k that's more than enuf seats to hold fans traveling to see the tourney. secondly they are centrally located as regards the league. thirdly why do you want to piss on their tradition ?

Not enough hotels, no restaurants or bars or basically anything in walking distance from the arena. Not convenient to get to the arena or to get out of there. There's not one good reason to hold it there other than a tradition that half the league wasn't around for.

And it's not about "pissing on their tradition". It's about what's doing what's best for the league NOW. The league NOW is not the league it used to be. Times change. If it's going to be in NC, Charlotte is a far better site than Greensboro.

Last edited:
Because they asked him about it being in NY and he said it's a great place for the tournament to be, which led to the "it should be in a major city". Not sure where the left field thing is coming from.

They asked him about NY in that its essentially a home game for us. They threw him a slow pitch and he fouled it off.

Did anyone read on Syracuse.com where that one idiot writer(I believe from a Greensboro paper) said that the host school Syracuse lost in the first round? Host? LOL. He also said we haven't won an ACC tourney game since joining in 2011...only 3 years off. This is what we're dealing with.

I don't think the ACC tournament will ever be a big deal as long as the location rotates. Unfortunately. I'd almost rather have it permanently in DC (north/south compromise), but Maryland leaving ruined that. Not to mention the B10 grubbing around at MSG. Barclays could be turned into something special eventually (being a newish venue), but the attendance looked pretty bad in the first rounds.

They asked him about NY in that its essentially a home game for us. They threw him a slow pitch and he fouled it off.

4-5 hours away from our school at a building we've played in once = home game for us. LOL.

Did anyone read on Syracuse.com where that one idiot writer(I believe from a Greensboro paper) said that the host school Syracuse lost in the first round? Host? LOL. He also said we haven't won an ACC tourney game since joining in 2011...only 3 years off. This is what we're dealing with.
It must be really frustrating having people reporting on sports that don't know what they are talking about. I can't relate to that. By the way Bud Poliquin says hi.

4-5 hours away from our school at a building we've played in once = home game for us. LOL.

This can't be the first time you're hearing this. Jesus.

1. there weren't 20k fans yesterday and 2. the ACC doesn't suffer from a lack of hype.

Brooklyn/Barclays is not MSG/Manhattan. Still, the tourney would be far better off at Barclays than Greensboro.

And you can never have too much hype in this situation.

AGAIN!

The question he was asked was this - Q. Coach, I know you're the, quote-unquote, home team for this being in New York, but do you like the fact this is a more neutral site for this tournament, and would you like to see that going forward?

This can't be the first time you're hearing this. Jesus.

Hearing it a million times, doesn't make it true. People who have no concept of geography and no interest in learning don't get to make the rules. They're wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom