What is wrong with jb | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

What is wrong with jb

I think Charlotte should be in the mix for a semi-permanent stop. It's a major league city that ties into the leagues southern fan base. Barclays has looked and sounded like there are 15 people there. Having been to both Barclays and Charlotte - I'd rather go to Charlotte

This whole situation just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I agree with Boeheim that a conference tourney in a medium sized city like Greensboro is lousy. And I also like that Greensboro stood up for itself and fired back.

Not sure what everyone is all that mad about. JB is from the Northeast. People in/from Upstate NY are typically brutally honest people. It's not a matter of like/dislike, it's ingrained in our being. I will say that living in Northern Virginia, this has served my career very well.

Had JB dropped a "bless their heart" beforehand, everyone in the South would have been fine with what he said.

I spent the first 52 years of my life in Rochester. Now I live in Western NC, and I really appreciate this state, but I totally agree with JB on this, just not necessarily where, when, and how he said it.

Heck, why not play the tournament in Clemson? They have a cute arena, and a laid-back southern charm.

Yep had a guy on another forum saying Boeheim just doesn't want to play games outside of NY. How many ACC schools are closer to NYC than us?

Conte forum is technically closer

Has CAtlanta ever done anything to earn an ACC tournament?

I'd like to think their inability to sell out Braves playoff games for years would disqualify them from hosting any non-football neutral-site event, but maybe I'm missing something.

I appreciate the history behind Greensboro (can't believe it's taken 9 pages for someone to say that), but New York's far and away a better host town. And I've always thought that moving the tournament among cities is bush-league. Find the best place and stay there.

Its called being sarcastic bro.

Bro down!!

mPv6czX.gif

Here's what I'd opine was wrong with his press conference. On its own, saying NYC is better
than Greenboro for a tourney, perfectly fine. Saying he doesn't give a chocolate yogurt emoji,
fine. Talking about his team's NCAA worthiness, fine.

It's that his team had a chance to solidy their NCAA worthiness and gagged that away by
laying an egg, in the 'home away from home for New York's college team', and THEN he
went out and tried to say how worthy his team is, how NYC is better than Greensboro,
and that he can say what he wants cuz he doesn't care. Obviously he does care, and taken
all together, at that exact moment, he doesn't come off well. Nobody cares anymore about
last year's team related to this one; 3 top-10 wins aside, which I don't think totally wipes
away the losses to the old Big East, and I think that awful performance at Louisville is
going to hurt more than many think, last year's team showed it didn't need 30,000 fans
behind it to win. I don't think many people were interested in hearing that, and then he
just kept going.

I don't even want to guess as to whether they're in or not, simply because too many other
bubble teams are still alive in their conference tourneys. Favorites win, SU's probably in;
others win, SU's probably out.

Kev

What JB said needed to be said. Greensboro is a joke to host the best conference in the country. They claim everything is about business, then start making good business decisions. The ACC players/coaches/fans deserve a better market than Greensboro, NC.

Anyone who has a problem with my statement brings no value to this website, NONE.

I'm just glad he didn't say Greensborough is like Tyler Roberson from the free throw line. No chance for success.

I don't root for Syracuse basketball because the coach is nice. As long as he's not assaulting players or banging hookers, I just don't care how much of a jerk he is or isn't.

Or blatantly lying to the media about not saying something to a player that he clearly said. And complaining about a foul 90 feet from the basket and repeating the word amazing 50 times...and proving no point other than he is more or less a complete cry baby.

It should rotate between NY DC Atlanta
Wait what? That is exactly what Boeheim said and I thought you were disappointed in him. Or was that someone else?

Had a long back and forth last night on Twitter with a guy who lives in Greensboro. The folks there are highly insulted. They can't understand why we wouldn't want to play in a city with so much ACC basketball history. I explained that if the ACC wants to continue to grow as the nation's best conference, they need to move its tourney to bigger cities. They're isolated and simply don't understand. Aunt Bea says hello.

You definitely have the better argument in this case. Small town folk who are opposed to change. ACC players/coaches/fans deserve the best, and the best is in a major media market. You dream of making the game winner in NY with the bright lights on, not...well...Greensboro, NC.

What JB said needed to be said. Greensboro is a joke to host the best conference in the country. They claim everything is about business, then start making good business decisions. The ACC players/coaches/fans deserve a better market than Greensboro, NC.

Anyone who has a problem with my statement brings no value to this website, NONE.

It needed to be said? Was there a question about Greensboro?

Sheesh.

There was a question on the location of the ACC tournament. That opened up discussion.

The question was about playing in NYC as the pseudo "home" team.

The question was about playing in NYC as the pseudo "home" team.

Was also the first time ever played in New York. Naturally, at some point, the change from Greensboro would come up. Agree to disagree if you have a problem with the statement, plenty of people from Greensboro also disagree with his view on it.

Was also the first time ever played in New York. Naturally, at some point, the change from Greensboro would come up. Agree to disagree if you have a problem with the statement, plenty of people from Greensboro also disagree with his view on it.

The tourney isn't being held in Greenboro again until 2020. The last time was in 2015. Why was there a pressing need for JB to take up this issue considering he'll be retired the next time it's there?

Zero benefit for him to talk about it.

Heck, he'll probably be retired and living in Greensboro in 2020.

The tourney isn't being held in Greenboro again until 2020. The last time was in 2015. Why was there a pressing need for JB to take up this issue considering he'll be retired the next time it's there?

Zero benefit for him to talk about it.

Heck, he'll probably be retired and living in Greensboro in 2020.

75% of the league agrees with what JB said. There's a pressing need because these things get decided well ahead of time, as you've already noted here. The ACC Tournament should not be played in Greensboro, NC. Period.

75% of the league agrees with what JB said. There's a pressing need because these things get decided well ahead of time, as you've already noted here. The ACC Tournament should not be played in Greensboro, NC. Period.

So you think all the coaches outside NC asked JB to make this pitch on their behalf?

So you think all the coaches outside NC asked JB to make this pitch on their behalf?
Two things:
(1) JB could give less than a rat's patoot what others think about his comments. He's got a BIG mouth and shoots from the hip. He's grandpa after a sip of beer, no filter. Could it have been phrased better, sure. But at least he remains somewhat humorous and not just a deplorable jerk like another HOFer recently in the news. (See:Knight, Bobby re; health of former IU admins.).
(2) It NEEDED to be said. Again, Greensboro NC no longer "fits" as the home of the new ACCT. I've been to Greensboro plenty, once when the old ACC Tournament was there, and it was decidedly small time. It's a two lane Downtown area, and you wouldn't even know the tourney was in town unless you read it in the paper. Sure it's convenient for the Carolina and even VA schools, but the ACC is no longer just about them, that's the new reality. Atlanta, MD, NYC, those are the media centers where the best conference in CBB ought to be playing. Is it a coincidence that the most forward-thinking P5 conference, the B1G and Delaney are playing in MSG in a few years? No, because they're smart and know how to adapt.
North Carolinians are notoriously slow on change. I know, I live here. Time for them to get w/ the program and realize this ain't their daddy's ACCT anymore. JMHO

Two things:
(1) JB could give less than a rat's patoot what others think about his comments. He's got a BIG mouth and shoots from the hip. He's grandpa after a sip of beer, no filter. Could it have been phrased better, sure. But at least he remains somewhat humorous and not just a deplorable jerk like another HOFer recently in the news. (See:Knight, Bobby re; health of former IU admins.).
(2) It NEEDED to be said. Again, Greensboro NC no longer "fits" as the home of the new ACCT. I've been to Greensboro plenty, once when the old ACC Tournament was there, and it was decidedly small time. It's a two lane Downtown area, and you wouldn't even know the tourney was in town unless you read it in the paper. Sure it's convenient for the Carolina and even VA schools, but the ACC is no longer just about them, that's the new reality. Atlanta, MD, NYC, those are the media centers where the best conference in CBB ought to be playing. Is it a coincidence that the most forward-thinking P5 conference, the B1G and Delaney are playing in MSG in a few years? No, because they're smart and know how to adapt.
North Carolinians are notoriously slow on change, imo- I know, I live here. Time for them to get w/ the program and realize this ain't their daddy's ACCT anymore.

And you think JB shaming them publicly on his way out the door will accomplish that?

Two things:
North Carolinians are notoriously slow on change. I know, I live here. Time for them to get w/ the program and realize this ain't their daddy's ACCT anymore. JMHO

I actually think JB phrased what he said perfectly. Nothing he said was disparaging about Greensboro. The ACC needs to act like the ACC of 2017 not the ACC of 1960, and I think what JB said may have actually been one of the least controversial things he's ever said.

And you think JB shaming them publicly on his way out the door will accomplish that?
No one was "shamed", imo. That's being a tad over-sensitive. He expressed an opinion, and the NC establishment which has had things their way forever, caught the "vapors" and reacted emotionally. Again, I had similar experiences when I moved down here years ago in that my gruff NY personality wasn't always well-received by some. I was too blunt, too fast, and too real for some of these folks, who are only used to politeness and pleasantries, even in the most confrontational circumstances. Therefore, I don't expect a 70+ year old man, who's never shown any indication that he'll filter his opinion, to suddenly tone it down for other's consumption. I think they need to get over themselves and not take it so personal. JMHO

No one was "shamed", imo. That's being a tad over-sensitive. He expressed an opinion, and the NC establishment which has had things their way forever, caught the "vapors" and reacted emotionally. Again, I had similar experiences when I moved down here years ago in that my gruff NY personality wasn't always well-received by some. I was too blunt, too fast, and too real for some of these folks, who are only used to politeness and pleasantries, even in the most confrontational circumstances. Therefore, I don't expect a 70+ year old man, who's never shown any indication that he'll filter his opinion, to suddenly tone it down for other's consumption. I think they need to get over themselves and not take it so personal. JMHO

Fair enough.

I just realized that SU has never actually played in the ACC tourney in Greensboro. Again, wonder why JB took this one on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom