What was going on in your life the last time we were 3-0? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What was going on in your life the last time we were 3-0?

Enjoying a fall weekend as a third-grader, probably playing football in the street or Eastside Soccer down at Barry Park.

I wouldn't watch an SU football game that I can now remember until Miami the next November; I was a serious hoops-only fan before that game got me hooked.

September 1991.

I was in 4th grade at Morgan Road Elementary in Liverpool, NY. My favorite things included the WWF, anything related to Karate, Saved by the Bell, and I was just beginning to truly get passionate about SU sports. I remember every Friday in the Post-Standard they would have an SU football game preview showing a diagram of the starting lineups for each team, and I would cut that section out of the paper and collect them (often times before my Dad read the paper, which got me a tongue-lashing).
Hey, you said Morgan Road School!
Family was still living in Liverpool, with two kids at Morgan Road School, but I had started a new job in PA and by December we had to say goodbye to Syracuse. Was at the Florida game, and my daughter claimed Kirby as her favorite player. She couldn't understand why kids in PA had never heard of him.

Road tripped back to campus for my first Homecoming. We had, perhaps, the greatest four-year run from 87-90 that we'd ever had. But after graduating in May 91, I still couldn't fathom how or why we scheduled Florida for Homecoming.

Kirby Dar Dar returned the opening kick and it was 21-0 five minutes into the game. Spurrier threw his visor and the Dome rocked all day. Hindsight is 20-20, but the Gators filled the role of Homecoming patsy just fine.

The following Saturday I started dating the girl who became my wife. All in all, an outstanding week, I'd say.

Not a lot. A bum living with my folks. 21 years old, and two years into a 17 year run with Chase-Pitkin. Drumming in local Metal bands.

Who is the Dead and Phish? ;)

That year I saw Queensryche, Extreme, David Lee Roth, and Cinderella.

image-469582385.jpg

What the???

Not a lot. A bum living with my folks. 21 years old, and two years into a 17 year run with Chase-Pitkin. Drumming in local Metal bands.

Who is the Dead and Phish? ;)

That year I saw Queensryche, Extreme, David Lee Roth, and Cinderella.

View attachment 24371

What the???

That SU program looks like it would be a brochure for like Fire Island.

Sep. '91... Just started Sophomore year at St. Joseph High School in Metuchen, NJ. I was "all in" trying to make the varsity baseball squad for the coming spring. SU wasn't on the radar screen yet for me - it would be scholarship $$ (academic, not athletic, among other things), that would eventually have me at SU in the fall of '93. While I'm sure I heard about the game, it didn't have the same weight then compared to now. Oh, and I may have gone to a Rutgers game that year, but we won't talk about that...

Ahhhh fall of '91. Senior year. Starting DE/DT for the 3-5 Tully Black Knights. Sucking face with Jody P. Drinking kegs of beast in Farmer Brown's corn field, burning tires and mattresses. And playing the ever living out of the brand new Metallica Black album. Good times!

Blue Devils Unite - '94 here.

Probably had beers with you at some point in either Heenans, Sunnys or one of the other local watering holes there

I was a sophomore in high school living just outside of Atlanta, GA. Smashing the Gators was awesome living in SEC land. Come to think of it, most of my friends in Georgia were pretty big Syracuse fans that day.

Probably had beers with you at some point in either Heenans, Sunnys or one of the other local watering holes there
Probably so. Spent a lot of quarters on drafts at Sunny's and quads at Old Main.