Who was double-middle finger | Syracusefan.com

Who was double-middle finger

OrangeMaNPD

2nd String
while standing on their seat and screaming -you Clemson guy?

Tonight was the first time I felt any sort of embarrassed of my school's fans. I go to these games with my parents who don't get around as quickly as they used to (that was my mom who had to lean on you for a second Texan so sorry about that) and just not sure I want to bring them around the group any longer.

I mean yeah they booed our injured player but the first scream of you Clemson was probably enough. On the flip side - two Clemson fans personally introduced themselves to me and wished us good luck near our seats. First time thats ever happened to me.

Rant over. Go orange

For the record, the double-middle-fingers-slobber-knockered-drunk-pants-pissing-Clemson-prepster got vigorously shouted down by middle-aged-sober-and-uptight-Clemson-prepster. That kid changed his tune right quick, and a few minutes later staggered up to the older Clemson guy and apologized.

The booing of our players was by and large weird. Every Clemson person I ran into was excruciatingly polite. Not sure how genuine it was, but they were nice to me all day and night. We had about 14 injuries, and would wager that we 'faked' at least one of them. IMO, the booing started after they thought we were faking an inury, and from that point, they couldn't turn it off.

For the record, the double-middle-fingers-slobber-knockered-drunk-pants-pissing-Clemson-prepster got vigorously shouted down by middle-aged-sober-and-uptight-Clemson-prepster. That kid changed his tune right quick, and a few minutes later staggered up to the older Clemson guy and apologized.

The booing of our players was by and large weird. Every Clemson person I ran into was excruciatingly polite. Not sure how genuine it was, but they were nice to me all day and night. We had about 14 injuries, and would wager that we 'faked' at least one of them. IMO, the booing started after they thought we were faking an inury, and from that point, they couldn't turn it off.
Do you think Shafer of all people would tell his players to fake injuries even once?

Nonsense.

Do you think Shafer of all people would tell his players to fake injuries even once?

Nonsense.

Didn't say anything about Shafer. Don't know if we faked an injury or not. I found the booing weird. Booing happens in soccer all the time. I guess it is OK there b/c we know soccer players fake injuries. Booing an injured player is classless. Point of fact. Won't argue that.

We were injured a lot. I watch a lot of football, and saw about twice as many injuries as I normally see. So, 'if' someone were to think that at least one of those injuries was not authentic, I could at least understand where they are coming from.

However, it's hard to reconcile the all-day politeness I received and witnessed, with 20K booing an 'injured 19 year old who later walked off the field on crutches'. The answer cannot simply be that all clemson fans are classless. B/c if true, then there would have been more examples of classlessness. Maybe their politeness is not genuine? Perhaps it was all a ruse?

The most classless fans I've experienced are at UConn. I received multiple offers to 'fight'. That's classless.

I guess I would like to know if Clemson fans do this all the time. Or, did it just happen against us?

Don't know the answer.

Didn't say anything about Shafer. Don't know if we faked an injury or not. I found the booing weird. Booing happens in soccer all the time. I guess it is OK there b/c we know soccer players fake injuries. Booing an injured player is classless. Point of fact. Won't argue that.

We were injured a lot. I watch a lot of football, and saw about twice as many injuries as I normally see. So, 'if' someone were to think that at least one of those injuries was not authentic, I could at least understand where they are coming from.

However, it's hard to reconcile the all-day politeness I received and witnessed, with 20K booing an 'injured 19 year old who later walked off the field on crutches'. The answer cannot simply be that all clemson fans are classless. B/c if true, then there would have been more examples of classlessness. Maybe their politeness is not genuine? Perhaps it was all a ruse?

The most classless fans I've experienced are at UConn. I received multiple offers to 'fight'. That's classless.

I guess I would like to know if Clemson fans do this all the time. Or, did it just happen against us?

Don't know the answer.
They did it against Georgia as apparently they were clearly faking. Im not sure how you know how someone is clearly faking buts thats there excuse.

They did it against Georgia as apparently they were clearly faking. Im not sure how you know how someone is clearly faking buts thats there excuse.

In soccer you can assume it. In football, I agree, you just cannot tell until the the kid gets up or plays later. In the moment, I didn't even know about the Georgia incident. That they thought we might be faking an injury or two to rest our defense was my first thought. I'd guess players do this frequently. Again hard to reconcile 20-30K booing like that. It's 'classless' I agree. I just don't get it. They were all exceedingly polite to me. 'Thanks for coming.' 'Have a safe trip home.' 'Yes sir, no sir.' Hell, I was on the field after the game, smack in the middle of thousands of them, and received nary a stinkeye. At UConn I got challenged to fight twice.

How did this thread go from the OP's embarrassment of a fellow SU fan's behavior to another one about booing?

Just like all fanbases we have knuckleheads too. Sorry for your parents experience orangeman.

All I can say is I have never ever booed an injured player, even if I thought he might be faking it, because the fact is I could not be sure. It was classless and unsportsmanlike, especially after big pre game speech about sportsmanship. Typical difference between group behavior as opposed to personal interaction.
I agree that I was treated very politely by every Clemson fan I met, even to a fault. How much of that might be just southern gamesmanship I do not know or care, because the experience of attending their game at their place was for this visitor top notch.

How did this thread go from the OP's embarrassment of a fellow SU fan's behavior to another one about booing?

Just like all fanbases we have knuckleheads too. Sorry for your parents experience orangeman.

Yeah it happens. I was on a streak of missing most of our knuckleheads going to these away games so it was bound to happen.

I know it's been said but it bears worth repeating - the booing was cl...jk go to a Clemson game because it's a sweet atmosphere.

Tonight was the first time I felt any sort of embarrassed of my school's fans. I go to these games with my parents who don't get around as quickly as they used to (that was my mom who had to lean on you for a second Texan so sorry about that) and just not sure I want to bring them around the group any longer.

I mean yeah they booed our injured player but the first scream of you Clemson was probably enough. On the flip side - two Clemson fans personally introduced themselves to me and wished us good luck near our seats. First time thats ever happened to me.

Rant over. Go orange
We witnessed the exact same thing from two different Clemson drunks.

One SU fan versus 40,000 Clemson fans = hardly seems like your indignation is in the right place. Players families attend these games and I cannot imagine what they felt with their injured sons down on the field and 40,000 booing them. So, this is Southern hospitality?

We witnessed the exact same thing from two different Clemson drunks.

One SU fan versus 40,000 Clemson fans = hardly seems like your indignation is in the right place. Players families attend these games and I cannot imagine what they felt with their injured sons down on the field and 40,000 booing them. So, this is Southern hospitality?

It wasn't just one SU fan. Another SU fan literally fell on top of mom and I in the THIRD quarter from the row behind me. This is after he ripped off the Clemson seat that clearly wasn't his and stumbled through the row.

The boos though! Every Clemson fan is a hack! Enough already.

In soccer you can assume it. In football, I agree, you just cannot tell until the the kid gets up or plays later. In the moment, I didn't even know about the Georgia incident. That they thought we might be faking an injury or two to rest our defense was my first thought. I'd guess players do this frequently. Again hard to reconcile 20-30K booing like that. It's 'classless' I agree. I just don't get it. They were all exceedingly polite to me. 'Thanks for coming.' 'Have a safe trip home.' 'Yes sir, no sir.' Hell, I was on the field after the game, smack in the middle of thousands of them, and received nary a stinkeye. At UConn I got challenged to fight twice.

I was asked by one of the Clemson fans behind us if we wanted to go out and tailgate with them at halftime. They heard it was my son's first game and took a liking to him. I didn't agree with the booing at all, however I think people are making way too big of a deal out of it. It would be completely different if one of our players took an obvious hard hit and was laying on the ground non responsive and then fans booed. It simply wouldn't happen. If roles were reversed, I am sure some idiots at the Dome would be screaming vulgarities at the other team. My point is that you have idiot fans everywhere. Try not to judge all of the Clemson fans for a few of the idiots that were there booing. It wasn't all of them considering there were 80,000.

I was asked by one of the Clemson fans behind us if we wanted to go out and tailgate with them at halftime. They heard it was my son's first game and took a liking to him. I didn't agree with the booing at all, however I think people are making way too big of a deal out of it. It would be completely different if one of our players took an obvious hard hit and was laying on the ground non responsive and then fans booed. It simply wouldn't happen. If roles were reversed, I am sure some idiots at the Dome would be screaming vulgarities at the other team. My point is that you have idiot fans everywhere. Try not to judge all of the Clemson fans for a few of the idiots that were there booing. It wasn't all of them considering there were 80,000.
I was there, and it was far more than a few Clemson fans booing close to the majority,and they did it repeatedly, so in my opinion it was a pretty big deal. I have been to the dome and old Archie for at least fifty five years and have never heard that kind of booing of an injured opponent. An occasional idiot we all have experienced, but this was far different than an idiot or two.

Rant over. Go orange

It's double bird man here, if you were in TDT section half way up or so. In this statement, I'm assuming I was the only Cuse fan in the stadium infuriated enough by the despicable behavior of a very large percentage Clemson fans to "make a statement," however inelegant and offensive, and your post is therefore referring to me.

As a Syracuse fan, you state you were embarrassed by my behavior. As a Syracuse fan, I was absolutely furious, and judging from many other posts and articles I've seen, I, fortunately, wasn't the only one. As a human being, I was embarrassed by Clemson fan behavior. I've never witnessed this in my 25 years of participating in or observing pop warner, high school, college, or professional sports. I've also never responded at a sporting event in such a passionate, albeit vulgar manner. This response is not a simple case of a "drunk syracuse fan being a d$&k for no reason." At best, you seem to minimize this fan behavior: "Yeah, they booed our player". Singular, mind you.

Regardless of the potential for an ulterior motive, it isn't for Clemson fans or you to judge. I work professionally with injured athletes. Included in the multiple injured "player" booed were John Raymon, who not only is an incredible underdog story on a human level but is also returning from a horrible knee injury from last year http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/07/john_raymons_long_road_to_syra.html
Also included was Brisly Estime, who was in his first game back from an ankle injury, and left the stadium in a walking boot on crutches.

While I'm not entirely proud of my actions, my only regret is that there were children in our section, and for that I owe an apology to those parents. Adults with a clue of what was going on should have the stomach to tolerate R rated verbiage on a Saturday night. You may have noticed no Clemson fans in our vicinity had much to say afterward, possibly too embarrassed to justify booing injured players. Otherwise, you may have witnessed quite a bit more.

I'm glad two Clemson fans introduced themselves to you, wished you luck, and made you feel warm and fuzzy inside. However, your convincing sample size of 2 does not impress me when the majority of a stadium is booing injured college kids. If your new Clemson friends were among the booers, the double bird and F bomb was intended for them too. Although it might be your first potential encounter with inauthentic passive aggressive southern hospitality, it wouldn't have been mine.

It's double bird man here, if you were in TDT section half way up or so. In this statement, I'm assuming I was the only Cuse fan in the stadium infuriated enough by the despicable behavior of a very large percentage Clemson fans to "make a statement," however inelegant and offensive, and your post is therefore referring to me.

As a Syracuse fan, you state you were embarrassed by my behavior. As a Syracuse fan, I was absolutely furious, and judging from many other posts and articles I've seen, I, fortunately, wasn't the only one. As a human being, I was embarrassed by Clemson fan behavior. I've never witnessed this in my 25 years of participating in or observing pop warner, high school, college, or professional sports. I've also never responded at a sporting event in such a passionate, albeit vulgar manner. This response is not a simple case of a "drunk syracuse fan being a d$&k for no reason." At best, you seem to minimize this fan behavior: "Yeah, they booed our player". Singular, mind you.

Regardless of the potential for an ulterior motive, it isn't for Clemson fans or you to judge. I work professionally with injured athletes. Included in the multiple injured "player" booed were John Raymon, who not only is an incredible underdog story on a human level but is also returning from a horrible knee injury from last year http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/07/john_raymons_long_road_to_syra.html
Also included was Brisly Estime, who was in his first game back from an ankle injury, and left the stadium in a walking boot on crutches.

While I'm not entirely proud of my actions, my only regret is that there were children in our section, and for that I owe an apology to those parents. Adults with a clue of what was going on should have the stomach to tolerate R rated verbiage on a Saturday night. You may have noticed no Clemson fans in our vicinity had much to say afterward, possibly too embarrassed to justify booing injured players. Otherwise, you may have witnessed quite a bit more.

I'm glad two Clemson fans introduced themselves to you, wished you luck, and made you feel warm and fuzzy inside. However, your convincing sample size of 2 does not impress me when the majority of a stadium is booing injured college kids. If your new Clemson friends were among the booers, the double bird and F bomb was intended for them too. Although it might be your first potential encounter with inauthentic passive aggressive southern hospitality, it wouldn't have been mine.

Great first post! Took guts to do it and glad you weren't drunk when you did it (as many, I'm sure, assumed).

Death Valley renamed Double- Alley.

Well said. Hope to meet you at a tailgate some day.

Yes, great first post. Glad to draw you away from lurker status. Like I said, it was the first time I felt embarrassed. I'm sure there's been worse and there will be worse. You're passionate about athletes and that's great to hear. I know I've been injured playing sports and received great help.

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that what you did doesn't really represent the school I graduated from very well. That's just MO. I just viewed it as stooping to Clemson's low.

I was born and raised in the south. First to graduate college and then receive a professional degree in my family. I've been around the passive aggressive southern thing my whole life.

Just wanted to hear your side so thanks for sharing. We're all judgemental as well as passionate about SU. Especially here since it's an Internet forum. Best of luck helping the athletes and go Orange.

Yes, great first post. Glad to draw you away from lurker status. Like I said, it was the first time I felt embarrassed. I'm sure there's been worse and there will be worse. You're passionate about athletes and that's great to hear. I know I've been injured playing sports and received great help.

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that what you did doesn't really represent the school I graduated from very well. That's just MO. I just viewed it as stooping to Clemson's low.

I was born and raised in the south. First to graduate college and then receive a professional degree in my family. I've been around the passive aggressive southern thing my whole life.

Just wanted to hear your side so thanks for sharing. We're all judgemental as well as passionate about SU. Especially here since it's an Internet forum. Best of luck helping the athletes and go Orange.

We clearly have different opinions, and you're entitled to yours. However, I do feel it's important to note this wasn't exactly fun for me, and I would certainly prefer that it wouldn't happen again. I think we can agree to that.

How great is this board? PD writes a post calling out a random SU fan out of thousands for flipping the bird and cussing out some fans. Perp happens to be a lurker. He registers with the name birdman, throws a bird avatar in for good measure, and starts his inaugural post with "double bird man here". HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!

690West said:
How great is this board? PD writes a post calling out a random SU fan out of thousands for flipping the bird and cussing out some fans. Perp happens to be a lurker. He registers with the name birdman, throws a bird avatar in for good measure, and starts his inaugural post with "double bird man here". HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!

Was just going to ask "what came first? The double bird or the birdman?"

Legendary

I shared several high-fives with BirdMan during the game as Syracuse held mighty Clemson to 3 points in the first half. While not everyone is proud of an SU fan flipping the double-bird towards our hosts... it's what more than one of us felt like doing following the horrible treatment of downed/injured Orange players.

Many here chuckle at the old "F Yukon!" posts of yesteryear, but this past Saturday a deserved "F Clemson (fanatics)!" message was conveyed in person.

Last edited:
We clearly have different opinions, and you're entitled to yours. However, I do feel it's important to note this wasn't exactly fun for me, and I would certainly prefer that it wouldn't happen again. I think we can agree to that.

Dude, you are the exact opposite of most everyone else here: you go big in real life and choose not to flaunt your Internet muscles much on these forums.

Change that ratio a bit. Good (self) perspective.

Go Orange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom