Who's going to be our best shooter next year? | Syracusefan.com

Who's going to be our best shooter next year?

Gbinjie, but I am sure I spelled it wrong, has my vote as overall most consistent.

Cooney has my vote as best when he is on, but streaky.

Fair has my vote as the guy you don't cringe at when he shoots, but isn't the first option.

Ennis has my vote as a guy who could be either like Fair or Cooney.

Grant has my vote as the guy who has improved the most but thinks he has improved more than he really has and shoots threes too frequently.

Gbinjie, but I am sure I spelled it wrong, has my vote as overall most consistent.

Fair has my vote as the guy you don't cringe at when he shoots, but isn't the first option.

Grant has my vote as the guy who has improved the most but thinks he has improved more than he really has and shoots threes too frequently.

You spelled it right. And picked the right guy, unless we see a lot of BJ. I wish Cooney was streaky. He's been just bad.

Same guy as this year, Fair.

Hope he quickens the release and has the confidence to unleash it from every spot on the floor.

And, JB will never let Jerami chuck from 3. You could see him ride Jerami about it during the season.

You spelled it right. And picked the right guy, unless we see a lot of BJ. I wish Cooney was streaky. He's been just bad.

I think (and am hoping) that Cooney will have a higher comfort level next season and that will help him become the shooter I think he can be. I have a tough time officially calling him bad at this point when most games he played only 3-4 minutes at a time.

Patterson will be the best shooter on the team next year. Roberson has the ability to knock down shots as well. Their ability to make shots may force themselves into the lineup

Patterson will be the best shooter on the team next year. Roberson has the ability to knock down shots as well. Their ability to make shots may force themselves into the lineup

You have to like the fact that we are picking different guys. I think JB realized we need more firepower and it's on the way.

You have to like the fact that we are picking different guys. I think JB realized we need more firepower and it's on the way.

not to mention BJ Johnson has the ability to knock down shots as well. It may be tough for the FR to get significant minutes next year, but our lack of overall shooting may force them into the lineup if we don't see considerable improvement from Cooney. Patterson has the reputation as a 3 point shooter, and should have some ball handling responsibilities so he should get some minutes, but Roberson, and maybe Johnson could be an X-factor if they show they can knock down 3's consistently, or at least occasionally.

It's spelled Gbinije
There has to be one of those i before e rules applied here, but damned if I figure it out.
:)

I hope Cooney practices against good competition all season. He needs the pressure in the offseason not the form.
I hope he gets something like a few christ paul camp invites.

%age wise CJ with mid 40's shooting slightly more but still discriminantly.

I think G and Ennis will be pretty consistent mid to high 30's

Cooney IMO will be like James next year inconsistent but deadly when on and then as a Jr and sr he will be excellent . . . I hope.

I really don't know how Bus, Roberson & Grant will shoot the three but I think BJ is an excellent shooter which could earn him regular PT if others struggle.

By shooter, i am assuming you mean outside shooter.

Everything I have seen and been told says it will not be Patterson. He isn't an outside shooter and probably never wil be.

I think it is close to impossible Ennis is going to be the guy as a true frosh. Just making the adjustment to college ball and running the SU offense is asking a lot from him.

CJ has a slow release on long jumpers and has only shown the ability to knock down 3s from a standstill. That greatly limits his effectiveness as a 3 point shooter. It is possible he will address this somewhat; he has improved each year he has been here, but I think any improvements are likely to be modest.

Trevor is by far the most likely to be our best outside shooter. He has worked relentlessly on shooting on the move and off of screens. You need to be able to do this to become a major outside shooting threat.

Gbinje is a mystery to me, he could surprise but I am not hearing that his game involves much outside shooting.

I think BJ is our shooter of the future but the jump from HS basketball to the ACC.is huge and there is usually an adjustment period.before a young player is ready to contribute consistently.

Because BJ played in a tough HS league and because I really like his form, I think he might, maybe, be one of the rare outside shooters ready to help from day 1. The last one that I can remember was a young fellow named McNamara...

We must be talking about a different guy than the one I actually watched play. Patterson will be a great zone defender. Shooter? I sure didn't see it.

We must be talking about a different guy than the one I actually watched play. Patterson will be a great zone defender. Shooter? I sure didn't see it.

saying he will be the best shooter really isn't saying much looking at next years team.

I think cooney will be the fave of a lot of our fair weathered fans.

I think JB realized we need more firepower and it's on the way.

We could have Michigan's firepower with the defensive prowess of this squad. Very, very promising these next few years.

By shooter, i am assuming you mean outside shooter.

Everything I have seen and been told says it will not be Patterson. He isn't an outside shooter and probably never wil be.

I think it is close to impossible Ennis is going to be the guy as a true frosh. Just making the adjustment to college ball and running the SU offense is asking a lot from him.

CJ has a slow release on long jumpers and has only shown the ability to knock down 3s from a standstill. That greatly limits his effectiveness as a 3 point shooter. It is possible he will address this somewhat; he has improved each year he has been here, but I think any improvements are likely to be modest.

Trevor is by far the most likely to be our best outside shooter. He has worked relentlessly on shooting on the move and off of screens. You need to be able to do this to become a major outside shooting threat.

Gbinje is a mystery to me, he could surprise but I am not hearing that his game involves much outside shooting.

I think BJ is our shooter of the future but the jump from HS basketball to the ACC.is huge and there is usually an adjustment period.before a young player is ready to contribute consistently.

Because BJ played in a tough HS league and because I really like his form, I think he might, maybe, be one of the rare outside shooters ready to help from day 1. The last one that I can remember was a young fellow named McNamara...
Huh? Where did you read that patterson cant shoot? Kid has a STROKE with handles and great passing abilities. Has a great pull up jumper too.. Where did u read that?

I think Cooney's percentage will shoot through the roof next year. This was a difficult year for him in a lot of ways, but his effort was always there. Next year, that effort pays off. Cooney will be fine. More than fine.

Hard to judge Cooney this year. He got the one mistake and you are out treatment. Dion didn't have a great freshmen year, lets hope he makes the adjustments needed and can average about 10 to 12 next year.

Patterson is a good, not great, shooter. He certainly has the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooney is out of the lineup once we have three decent guards - problem is if MCW leaves we will be forced to use Cooney again out of necessity

Patterson? How do u figure that one out. A. He's gonna be a freshman next year and probably play trevor cooney type minutes at best and B. he was only like a 31% 3 point shooter during his high school career he is going to have to earn his playing time next season if he can prove to Boeheim that he can come off of the bench and play solid defense and if he can not turn the ball over and use his strong 6"3 215lb frame to drive it to the basket and get points off of that. Or if he can be an efficient part of the offense ala brandon triche during his 4 years.

Patterson? How do u figure that one out. A. He's gonna be a freshman next year and probably play trevor cooney type minutes at best and B. he was only like a 31% 3 point shooter during his high school career he is going to have to earn his playing time next season if he can prove to Boeheim that he can come off of the bench and play solid defense and if he can not turn the ball over and use his strong 6"3 215lb frame to drive it to the basket and get points off of that. Or if he can be an efficient part of the offense ala brandon triche during his 4 years.

Take away CJ and 31% would be the best 3 point % on next years team

Patterson actually has mature foot/legwork in his jumper. it's his arms that could take a while for him to grow into.

Cooney will probably graduate to a Southerland-like year. In the 30's, %-wise, with occasional outbursts. I'd rather have him spread out his successes more than Southerland's, though. 9 treys vs. Arkansas was great, but I'd have taken 4 if we could have gotten the other 5 elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom