whose ready for the festive fixtures in EPL? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

whose ready for the festive fixtures in EPL?

Was gonna post before I went to bed last night, how much longer Spurs would give Villas-Boas. and alas, he has gotten the sack.

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/412538371882242049

Shortlist for replacement includes Fabio Capello and Guus Hiddink

That's too bad. I like him as a manager, and thought he was going to do better this year. What this comes down to is that Soldado hasn't come through as his striker. AVB has built a very physical midfield and I think he bought skillfully this summer, but he could use another skill player in there to unlock defenses. They would probably be very smart to inquire about Mata this summer. I doubt Chelsea would sell such a high-profile player to another Premier League side, but it would be good business for Spurs, and a big piece of what they need.

Meanwhile Suarez... wow, just wow.

They will make Champions League for next year, with Spurs and United both imploding. They must keep Suarez this summer. Give them a few players this summer to shore up defense and add another midfielder, and that team is going to be a handful in Europe.

They will make Champions League for next year, with Spurs and United both imploding. They must keep Suarez this summer. Give them a few players this summer to shore up defense and add another midfielder, and that team is going to be a handful in Europe.

I'm not sure how many players we need vs simply getting healthy. We're down Sturridge, Gerrard, and Enrique at the moment and they've all been effective to good when playing. I still think we need a big DM to slot in place of or aside of Lucas depending on opponent and perhaps another striker though Borini will be back next year as well. Interesting times though, and some young players are stepping up well ahead of schedule.

It's clear a top 5 are seperating though, and a good team will be left out. If we can get points @ City and @ Chelsea in the next 3 matches we'll be in very good shape heading into the Winter transfer market.

Utd will make champions next year as well. They will finish 4th this year.

I'm not sure how many players we need vs simply getting healthy. We're down Sturridge, Gerrard, and Enrique at the moment and they've all been effective to good when playing. I still think we need a big DM to slot in place of or aside of Lucas depending on opponent and perhaps another striker though Borini will be back next year as well. Interesting times though, and some young players are stepping up well ahead of schedule.

It's clear a top 5 are seperating though, and a good team will be left out. If we can get points @ City and @ Chelsea in the next 3 matches we'll be in very good shape heading into the Winter transfer market.

Tough stretch coming up for you guys. I agree you need another DM and another central defender. You do have a lot of skills players in midfield, but they are pretty young and a bit fragile. If I were running Liverpool, I'd be looking for one more playmaker in the midfield, too. I think you're 3 guys away from being a top, top side.

Tough stretch coming up for you guys. I agree you need another DM and another central defender. You do have a lot of skills players in midfield, but they are pretty young and a bit fragile. If I were running Liverpool, I'd be looking for one more playmaker in the midfield, too. I think you're 3 guys away from being a top, top side.

Cant disagree with any of that. More than anything I would like to se us add some size (muscle) in the midfield. We look a bright spritely when Coutinho, Allen, and Sterling are all running around and watching corners you see the opposition players towering over our guys in most cases.

We've been linked to a few AMF more similar to Gerrard in size but at the same time it'll likely be another young 20s guy that may or may not be ready immediately. I like our new transfer policy but it would be ideal to see them splash big on a proven talent occasionally. At the same time it's fun watching guys from our youth system come up and make an impact like Sterling, and Flano. Next one to watch is Jordan Ibe who I think is only 16 but already built like a house as a wing/attacking MF. Aside from that Alberto has shown glimpses but needs a bit of muscle and we'll have Assaidi, and Borini back from loan for next season as well. Moses and Cissohko haven't shown me any reason they'll be bought when their loan is up at the end of the season. Sahko will likely be kept.

Have to be careful not to over buy at a given postition but Rodgers has done well to use players in multiple roles and it appears he prefers players that can do exactly that.

Newcastle should be doing much better with this current squad, a bit disappointing..hopefully we land konoplyanka :)

Newcastle should be doing much better with this current squad, a bit disappointing..hopefully we land konoplyanka :)

Honestly, in 6th place Newcastle are doing better than I had predicted. Not sure who they have in their squad that makes you feel otherwise.

Honestly, in 6th place Newcastle are doing better than I had predicted. Not sure who they have in their squad that makes you feel otherwise.
Kreul, debuchy, cabaye, Ben arfa, Ameobi alone should do better than 6th place. We will see what happens with the remaining matches

newcastle has def played better than I thought. Would love new blood in the Top 4 with Chelsea taking the title for obvious reason. I'd like a Chelsea, Man City, Newcastle, Everton Top 4. I also think Draxler is the next german star the kid has really gotten it seeing a few Schalke matches. I guess we will have to see soon here, but I don't expect Chelsea to do much other than shore up the backline possibly.

Kreul, debuchy, cabaye, Ben arfa, Ameobi alone should do better than 6th place. We will see what happens with the remaining matches

They have some very good players but noone that jumps off the page as capable of taking over a match. Cabaye has the ability but goes through spells where he doesn't look entirely interested. Krul is very capable but still has some What moments. Not sure which Ameobi you speak of but I think another striker would do them well. Ben Arfa is legit and I'm curious what his ceiling is.

Suppose I'll phrase it another way. Of which of the 5 teams ahead of them do they have more talent? All 4 possess a match winner, some have multiple.

Last edited:
newcastle has def played better than I thought. Would love new blood in the Top 4 with Chelsea taking the title for obvious reason. I'd like a Chelsea, Man City, Newcastle, Everton Top 4. I also think Draxler is the next german star the kid has really gotten it seeing a few Schalke matches. I guess we will have to see soon here, but I don't expect Chelsea to do much other than shore up the backline possibly.

Ive been following Julian Draxler as well or Clyde as I refer to him. Liverpool, among others, have been out to watch him and I hope he is a player we finally break the bank to land. Everything about him reminds me of a younger Gerrard when he was marauding in attack with an in form Torres 5 years ago.

Cant disagree with any of that. More than anything I would like to se us add some size (muscle) in the midfield. We look a bright spritely when Coutinho, Allen, and Sterling are all running around and watching corners you see the opposition players towering over our guys in most cases.

We've been linked to a few AMF more similar to Gerrard in size but at the same time it'll likely be another young 20s guy that may or may not be ready immediately. I like our new transfer policy but it would be ideal to see them splash big on a proven talent occasionally. At the same time it's fun watching guys from our youth system come up and make an impact like Sterling, and Flano. Next one to watch is Jordan Ibe who I think is only 16 but already built like a house as a wing/attacking MF. Aside from that Alberto has shown glimpses but needs a bit of muscle and we'll have Assaidi, and Borini back from loan for next season as well. Moses and Cissohko haven't shown me any reason they'll be bought when their loan is up at the end of the season. Sahko will likely be kept.

Have to be careful not to over buy at a given postition but Rodgers has done well to use players in multiple roles and it appears he prefers players that can do exactly that.

I don't see your financial situation as too much different (and maybe better ...) than Spurs. AVB built a much more physical midfield with the Bale money. Too bad they cut him off without giving him a year to get that new group to play together. Soldado cost him his job, and that doesn't seem fair to me.

I think that you can similarly add some muscle and athleticism in midfield this summer. I like how you guys are buying under Brendan Rogers. They tried a moneyball approach and in the first year with Kenny Dalglish, but they just got the important stats allocated incorrectly in terms of importance. Charlie Adams' crosses to Andy Carroll were going to put them in the Champions League?

You need a mix of guile and physicality in the Premier League (and to succeed in Europe). City would not be City without Yaya Toure. Every team needs a guy to play that role, and a guy to unlock defenses, and a guy to finish.

Last edited:
Shaq from Bayern Munich there looks like a EPL player to me. Built like a rock and has the skills to match, i'm sure its only time before he finds his way over there.

I don't see your financial situation as too much different (and maybe better ...) than Spurs. AVB built a much more physical midfield with the Bale money. Too bad they cut him off without giving him a year to get that new group to play together. Soldado cost him his job, and that doesn't seem fair to me.

I think that you can similarly add some muscle and athleticism in midfield this summer. I like how you guys are buying under Brendan Rogers. They tried a moneyball approach and in the first year with Kenny Dalglish, but they just got the important stats allocated incorrectly in terms of importance. Charlie Adams' crosses to Andy Carroll were going to put them in the Champions League?

You need a mix of guile and physicality in the Premier League (and to succeed in Europe). City would not be City without Yaya Toure. Every team needs a guy to play that role, and a guy to unlock defenses, and a guy to finish.

I thought it was a bit premature to pull the plug on avb as well. I'm not sure what expectations they have for a perennial almost champions league team which is where they're at again. They obviously have trouble scoring in open play but they've also only conceded 21, 11 of which came in 2 matches. Who do they think they can hire that will get more out of them without spending the money they didn't allow avb in the january window?

Don't forget the money we wasted prior to Dalglish on Robbie Keane and the likes. Liverpool are now buliding something sustainable which is great since we'll never be able to spend like the oil clubs. Again, I like watching young players progress vs hoping in vain that an older squad player will magically transform into something they never were. As noted prior, I do hope we go after Draxler with whatever it costs. As a German fan, I've been watching him for awhile and impressed with his game.

Toure is absurd and I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves. Silva and co wouldn't be as effictive without him in the middle of the park.

Shaq from Bayern Munich there looks like a EPL player to me. Built like a rock and has the skills to match, i'm sure its only time before he finds his way over there.

Im still in wait and see mode with him. If Bayern feel a player is exceptional, they won't let them leave. If they sell him you'd have to wonder why.

anyone here watch the bundeligsa, I know its on GOLTV until Fox gets it in 2 seasons? I like watching it great soccer and atmospheres.

anyone here watch the bundeligsa, I know its on GOLTV until Fox gets it in 2 seasons? I like watching it great soccer and atmospheres.

I usually watch the Bundesliga when it starts at 9:30 a.m. and again when the EPL games go to halftime. Obviously I love to watch Dortmund and their eccentric manager Jurgen Klopp. However I appreciate the league because of passionate fans, full stadiums, and cheap ticket prices. They do it right. Unfortunately the season gets stale because Bayern get points so fast. Already 6 or 7 clear at the top.

They have some very good players but noone that jumps off the page as capable of taking over a match. Cabaye has the ability but goes through spells where he doesn't look entirely interested. Krul is very capable but still has some What moments. Not sure which Ameobi you speak of but I think another striker would do them well. Ben Arfa is legit and I'm curious what his ceiling is.

Suppose I'll phrase it another way. Of which of the 5 teams ahead of them do they have more talent? All 4 possess a match winner, some have multiple.
Everton. We do defenitely need a game changer

I'd love to see us pick up some sort of midfielder. A good holder or box to box to give Ramires some blow and as much as I hate to say it to get Lamps off the pitch. Legend as he may be, he has no defensive workrate and its killing us in the middle.

I'd love to see us pick up some sort of midfielder. A good holder or box to box to give Ramires some blow and as much as I hate to say it to get Lamps off the pitch. Legend as he may be, he has no defensive workrate and its killing us in the middle.

I still like that Chelsea bought Willian for no apparent reason other than to keep Liverpool or someone else to have him vs spending it on someone to fill the exact role you mentioned.

Wierd, they do not use Willian I've been watching him my whole life and he's one hell of a player

Chelsa have soooooo many options in attacking midfield though. Who do you bench? Hazard? Oscar? Mata? De Bruyne can't get a game either and I think he's been impressive when he's seen action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom