Why isn't K taking heat | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why isn't K taking heat

I think kobe was on the team but could be wrong. I guess i couldve googled it which would have taken less time then my terrible post.

Yeah as soon as I hit send I thought the same thing; i refuse to google it but i am now pretty sure he did play

Ok, well his post says "for some time", yours says "had become".

At no point was Melo ever the "face" of Team USA until this year. Even then, KD is still on the team.

Who really cares about all that though? Melo has been in the thick of all of it and is about to become the most decorated Olympic basketball player ever.

Who really cares about all that though? Melo has been in the thick of all of it and is about to become the most decorated Olympic basketball player ever.

Which really means nothing. Play on a super team every 4 years and get a medal.

Think he would trade all his medals for a title.

Really unusual career. NCAA champion and numerous olympic gold medals, lots of trials and tribulations at the NBA level.

Melo would likely get more votes for president than the 2 candidates being offered up by the major parties. Melo demonstrated his leadership when he acted as spokesman for NBA players against violence recently.
Right. But who did the media give the most credit-------LeBron and MJ.

SMH. Yeah, it's that easy. Just sign up for the Olympics like it's a Little League team or something.

Melo is the obvious leader of this team... /QUOTE]
A number of people in and out of the sports media have been waiting for him to take on this role with the Knicks.
Something other than being the "go to" guy who rarely delivers when it counts.
(Anyone know if he's hit a single game-winning shot since he's been with the Knicks)?

Taking nothing away from Melo for bringing the Orange to the promised land.
And recognizing that he's mostly had limited help (on the Knicks) so defenses could key on him.
But Melo couldn't fit in with the one guy who brought the Knicks exciting winning ball during his tenure...Jeremy Lin.
Since he ran off Lin he simply hasn't delivered.

So...five seconds left and down by a hoop...whose hands do you want the ball in?
Melo's or Durant's?

Did Melo hit any game winners at Syracuse? Seriously...that's your knock on Melo? Not enough "game winners"? Yes, he's hit a number of game winners as a Knick and a ton of big shots, though he has struggled on the buzzer beater game winner attempts the last couple years. Tends to happen when there is nobody else that's a real threat.

Yeah, that Jeremy Lin is a huge NBA superstar huh? Obviously it's Carmelo's fault that Lin has been a role player for the Rockets, Lakers, and Hornets too right?

Melo would likely get more votes for president than the 2 candidates being offered up by the major parties. Melo demonstrated his leadership when he acted as spokesman for NBA players against violence recently.
No, he would not. He is not old enough to run for President ... per the Constitution that stipulates the President must be at least 35 years old.

Wonder if players like Durant need to be wooed, challenged to totally focus and buy in? I imagine he is challenging him to be a leader and take ownership and responsibility for the team's performance. I do wonder how Melo feels or if Melo's mature enough to sacrifice knowing they need a focused, engaged Durant to win.
Interesting question. If he's not, then he shouldn't be captain either. If he is, then he'll be a leader regardless of title.

Last edited:
SMH. Yeah, it's that easy. Just sign up for the Olympics like it's a Little League team or something.

Never said that, but you could take half of the guys off the team and put Cuse walkons in their place and win the gold.

Never said that, but you could take half of the guys off the team and put Cuse walkons in their place and win the gold.
Come on now. That's not even close to true. Look at Melo's first Olympic experience. It's very much why K is the coach now.

Having said that, I agree with much of what you've had to say in this thread.

There were a couple close calls in 2012. We lost in 2004. What you say may be true vs. some of the opponents, but not all of them.

Regardless, Melo has been in a position to be selected to the team 4 different times...not easy to be that good for that long. And he was a very key player in 2008 and 2012.

There were a couple close calls in 2012. We lost in 2004. What you say may be true vs. some of the opponents, but not all of them.

Regardless, Melo has been in a position to be selected to the team 4 different times...not easy to be that good for that long. And he was a very key player in 2008 and 2012.
I think it's fair to say he's been a key player. That was never the question. The statement made earlier was that he's been the face of USA basketball for a while, and I agree with whoever said that that is an overstatement. Maybe as the elder statesman he is this time, but, if that's the case, this is the first time and probably deserved.

Come on, you can't possibly believe that.

I think in general the international field is weaker than it has been in a while?

6 All NBA players and 6 Cuse walk ons would win the gold. Zero doubt in my mind.

That's interesting, if we can take any 6 players, what does that look like? You probably need 2 big guys, right? If your one big gets in foul trouble you are screwed. Say Deandre and Cousins? Then you need Lebron/Durant/Steph I think. I'd then take another PG I guess to put Steph off the ball? So Paul?

I'm thinking maybe you ditch the 2 big guys and add another guard. And I'm an idiot, Anthony Davis over either of the big guys

Hi. We almost lost today. Thankfully Carmelo had 31 pts and 8 rebounds.

The entire team looked like crap, the flow of the ball was garbage for USA. I wonder why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom