Wildhack Presser | Streaming 11 AM Monday | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Presser | Streaming 11 AM Monday

Evidently there are some anonymous donors who bleed Orange and continue to step up in a big way. I don’t think the NIL situation is as dire as some people think it is.

Whoever these donors are, God bless you.
Yup, i was told this recently that we were in good position with NIL for next year. But we need to make it a sustainable effort.

I was happy to hear JW talk about our "4 1/2 hour recruiting radius".

Drive 300 miles south and you're in Baltimore. Drive 300 miles west and you're in Cleveland.

For as terrible as NYS is at producing FBS talent, it's not nearly as dire if you extend things out to that radius.

"I want to thank Coach Babers for his commitment to our University. He is a class act and that made the decision yesterday more difficult," Athletic Director John Wildhack said of the firing of Coach Babers.

"We've played meaningful games in November, but the performance and success in November hasn't been good enough," Wildhack stated on one of the specific reasons for the decision on Coach Babers.

Thanks Nunz for stepping in. Preparing for Wake & a possible bowl game.

Staff has contacted all the recruits.

"The search is underway. It started yesterday and it will be thorough, but efficient as possible," Wildhack said on the new head coaching search for Syracuse.

Wildhack says he will be using a search firm. Syracuse will use Bob Beaudine's search firm.

"I met with Dino before the season and after the Florida State game and told him the benchmark was 7-5. Once that was unattainable we decided to move on," Wildhack said on the reasoning of the timing for the dismissal.

"I did give Coach Babers to option of coaching the last game of the season, but he declined that opportunity and I respect that," Wildhack said on what transpired with his conversation with Dino.

Wildhack on the next coach: Good leader. It's a complex operation to be a head coach. Clear communicator. One who can develop player. Who has that eye for talent? Who can develop that talent? Someone who can build a staff and represent university values.

"It doesn't have to be a direct connection to the 315, but experience in the northeast is important. The relationships within the region will play a factor in the coaching search," Wildhack said on what they're looking for in a new head coach.

Wildhack on naming Campanile as the interim: He's done it at Rutgers. NJ recruiting factored in as well.

"There is not a definitive date but I am aware of December 4th," Wildhack said on the timeline of the coaching se

Wildhack on program expectations for next coach: When you start a season the goal is to play a 13th game. I expect us, and we can be a winning program. "We're not that far away ... It's not like this is a total reboot."

Wildhack: "We've continued strategic investment in the program... What are the resources you have, the you need to be the most impactful."

Wildhack on the university's commitment: The programs that have the most money doesn't always equate to success. Says he looks to make investments that have a good ROI

Wildhack answers NIL question about players who left, where they went, and how much they play. "We've had donors step up... quietly, but in a significant way... the narrative is we're behind, but that's not accurate." Continues that they can compete in NIL with their level.

"There is a commitment from the university to this program. Again this is not a total reboot. If you can keep the nucleus together and add to it we can win in the ACC," Wildhack spoke on his pitch to potential head coaching candidates. "What I'm enthused about is the number and quality (of people who have reached out about the coaching position)."

"We worked hard internally to deal with the buyout money," Wildhack said on collecting the money to pay the buyout of coach Dino Babers.

Wildhack on the end of Babers' tenure: "You have to go back to November. You look at Boston College, that's a very winnable game...Saturday was a very winnable game. If we win those games we are not here having this conversation." Wildhack on the difference between a 6-6 season and 7-5 season: He refers back to November losses. "That's the difference."

"Either head coaching experience or coordinator experience. Somebody who has the leadership and communication skills," Wildhack reiterated on the qualities he is looking for in a new head coach.

"It's hard. Coach Babers was their leader and they looked up to him. I acknowledge that it was a tough day yesterday. My two messages to the team yesterday was take care of your brothers," Wildhack said on the morale of the team and his message to the players yesterday.

Wildhack said he didn't extend Babers after last year's bowl game because he wanted to see more. Said the 5-7 to 7-5 turnaround was good, but he wanted to see the program return to 7-5 or better. Wildhack says he doesn't think Babers lost assistants due to a lack of certainty to the head coach's future.

Axe finishes up by asking a question about revealing the names of anonymous donors. Because of course he does.
Axe lives down to expectations

Has Bill O'Brien been discussed here to any extent?
he was the first guy i thought of when Wildhack was rattling off some of the prerequisites.

I think the patriots aren't high paying aside from Belichick. Let's say for a second he's making 2mm as OC right now. He made probably that with Alabama. He's gonna call JW and see if he's interested in his services at say 3-4mm and can mobilize the A-Team of assistants ready to go on day 1.

I am really wondering if O'Brien is in play now. He turned around Penn St in the absolute worst possible spot and has coached at Alabama and knows the high class issues they've succeeded at.

Yeah but the way he talked about having a proven record of spotting/ developing talent made it sound like a HC to me. Unless that also applies to coordinators, and if it does then that’s my bad.
It does. Coordinators work with their position coaches to identify and recruit the prospects they think will fit their system. And coordinators usually, if not always, start off as position coaches first.

Has Bill O'Brien been discussed here to any extent?

He was mentioned in a thread somewhere.

He was in Feldman's list in The Athletic today:

Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien is a New England native who might merit a look. The 54-year-old took over Penn State in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal and did an excellent job dealing with all sorts of issues. He won the Bear Bryant Award in 2012 and went 15-9 in two seasons before leaving to become the Houston Texans’ head coach. He reached the playoffs four times and left Houston with a 52-48 record. We’re not sure he’d want this job, but given his track record and his ties to the region, it’s probably worth Syracuse making that call to find out.

he was the first guy i thought of when Wildhack was rattling off some of the prerequisites.

I think the patriots aren't high paying aside from Belichick. Let's say for a second he's making 2mm as OC right now. He made probably that with Alabama. He's gonna call JW and see if he's interested in his services at say 3-4mm and can mobilize the A-Team of assistants ready to go on day 1.

I am really wondering if O'Brien is in play now. He turned around Penn St in the absolute worst possible spot and has coached at Alabama and knows the high class issues they've succeeded at.
He certainly checks all the boxes that JW mentioned. And he'd be someone who's "big name" enough to get a lot of folks off the fence and plunk down $$$ for those new Dome seats.

However, I have a lifetime of an inferiority complex saying there's no chance, since SU never swings for the fences like this.

He was mentioned in a thread somewhere.

He was in Feldman's list in The Athletic today:

Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien is a New England native who might merit a look. The 54-year-old took over Penn State in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal and did an excellent job dealing with all sorts of issues. He won the Bear Bryant Award in 2012 and went 15-9 in two seasons before leaving to become the Houston Texans’ head coach. He reached the playoffs four times and left Houston with a 52-48 record. We’re not sure he’d want this job, but given his track record and his ties to the region, it’s probably worth Syracuse making that call to find out.
This would be a grand slam selection. I'm all in on Chesney but would be ectastic about Bill O'Brien. That's a guy where an Addazio may jump along for the ride and maybe some of the older Cuse guys from yesteryear (could we get Ivan Fears back for a swan song).

I would add Patricia possibly too. there's alot of love for CNY from those Patriot guys who came from the Pasqualoni era and know the dominance that SU football had in that period of time. Football is football and a love affair is a love affair esp in an area like central new york (i wish i could say that in a cny accent not my dustbin boston accent)

I think the 12/4 comment sort of rules out Bill O'Brien unless he is going to leave the Patriots mid-season.
As a Pats fan, he could leave an no one would even notice at this point.

How much offensive coordinating can one do when you have Mac Jones, Bailey Zappe and Will Grier as your QBs?

How much offensive coordinating can one do when you have Mac Jones, Bailey Zappe and Will Grier as your QBs?

It looks like Brady, Manning and Montana compared to what we have on the shelves.

If Bill O was hired, does Doug come with him as a coordinator

He could but would he? I would be behind Bill O'Brien. I think he would be an excellent hire and a nice fit for the program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom