Wilson has way more upside | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Wilson has way more upside

I read the NCAA rulebook regarding these incidents earlier today, trust me it is a requirement that they review it. Even if they don't change anything.

It was pretty much mandatory that they had to eject him from the game. If it happened in the second half it would be mandatory that he sit at least half of the next game we play.

There was a Clemson player that punched an NC State player that was suspended another game but that was because Dabo suspended him without any ACC involvement and apparently they did not add any punishment beyond that. I would assume that the ACC reviewed it because it is an NCAA requirement.

I watched the tape on that one and it was 1000% worse than what Hunt did. They were jawing after the play like 10 seconds and they walked up to each other and the Clemson kid sucker punched the NC State kid with an uppercut. Really, really uncalled for and flagrant.

I tried googling it and the first two pages were almost entirely about Hunt, lol.

I didn't think the punch was that bad. Clearly he needed to be ejected because that's the rule. But as you said, it wasn't completely flagrant

It would be an injustice if Hunt was suspended for the next game.

What the Nova player did to Hunt should have been cause for a penalty.

I agree and was surprised the Nova player didn't get at least a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty.

I tried googling it and the first two pages were almost entirely about Hunt, lol.

I didn't think the punch was that bad. Clearly he needed to be ejected because that's the rule. But as you said, it wasn't completely flagrant

Almost the whole first page are the clowns from Syracuse.com and are worth nothing other than them trying to get clicks.

I don't know why some people are ragging on Wilson. I think he did just fine considering the position he was put in. 40 seconds before he threw his first college pass, he was signaling plays in. Didn't even warm up. Came in and completed his first few passes. Led the team on their one and only sustained drive for a TD and looked exceptional on most of his passes.

He slipped backwards after that TD drive as some of his passes started to sail like rising fastballs.

He missed a couple open receivers, especially over the middle as he locked on the outside guy. Someone said he lost poise. I don't think it had anything to do with poise. It's more about game experience and seeing the whole field and working his progressions.

We forget just how little experience he has. He's a RF who came into the fall as #4 I think. He probably didn't even get much run in practice at first until rising up to #2. While he missed some passes, I think he throws a pretty nice ball and is very fluid.

Now having said all that, Hunt is our QB. His legs add a dimension it appears this group will need.

Well, now we have a back up QB with a bit of experience. He didn't get it the way we expected, but now he's got some. Terrel's SU's QB. Austin did a nice job overall yesterday, but I don't see that there's a QB controversy. Now if Hunt gets dinged up, I'll feel slightly better knowing that the back up has thrown a college pass or two.

Hey Mods, is there anyway that we can combine these multiple Hunt threads?!

I don't know why some people are ragging on Wilson. I think he did just fine considering the position he was put in. 40 seconds before he threw his first college pass, he was signaling plays in. Didn't even warm up. Came in and completed his first few passes. Led the team on their one and only sustained drive for a TD and looked exceptional on most of his passes.

He slipped backwards after that TD drive as some of his passes started to sail like rising fastballs.

He missed a couple open receivers, especially over the middle as he locked on the outside guy. Someone said he lost poise. I don't think it had anything to do with poise. It's more about game experience and seeing the whole field and working his progressions.

We forget just how little experience he has. He's a RF who came into the fall as #4 I think. He probably didn't even get much run in practice at first until rising up to #2. While he missed some passes, I think he throws a pretty nice ball and is very fluid.

Now having said all that, Hunt is our QB. His legs add a dimension it appears this group will need.

Pretty good considering he was never ever going to play here. Didn't "fit" the offense.

That should give us some questions about evaluation at the position.

As for the suspension (possible) lets hope the ACC watches the film and notices that Hunt had been speared. Most of one game is plenty for the offense. Football is the one sport where throwing a punch is the least dangerous thing you can possibly do. Hunt is the starter and will be the whole season barring injury, i have no doubt in my mind, as Bees said , this team needs a QB that make plays with his feet.

Sailing fastballs are usually a result of back footing the throw. Usually a result of inexperience against pressure. Which is understandable.

Too early to judge Wilson. He didn't make any mistakes and seems to have a decent arm. But he can't run and make things happen with his feet, and unless you have great backs and receivers, that spells trouble.

Nassib was a better runner. But that's not saying much.

Too early to judge Wilson. He didn't make any mistakes and seems to have a decent arm. But he can't run and make things happen with his feet, and unless you have great backs and receivers, that spells trouble.

Nassib was a better runner. But that's not saying much.
yeah right, kid can't run well and yet they had him running quite a bit, What, forgot to mention that in my war and peace post.

I don't think Wilson would have the stupidity to throw a punch in a game that was this close.
First, all games are "close" in the beginning of the game. Second, just what makes you know anything about Wilson and his inability to do something stupid?

It would be an injustice if Hunt was suspended for the next game.

What the Nova player did to Hunt should have been cause for a penalty.

The Nova player's comments were pretty good. I was just trying to finish a tackle and got punched. And by finish I mean slam the QBs head into the ground.

I am probably the biggest Wilson fan on the board and have been since he stayed committed. However, I think Hunt is our best chance right now. Hunt is resilient and I think he will come around. There will be a time for Austin.

Agree with you on Austin Crusty, the problem is he does not fit into the system. That's not saying they could not expand the system.

I really wish they had some running plays that were not read option based. For some reason we equate going fast with the shotgun. I would like to see them move under center once in a while. Allows for play action to come in a little more which is something that would help Wilson.

The problem with dual threat QBs is that they do run the ball. This opens you up to potential injuries. I would not be surprised to see Wilson out there again this year not for failure on the part of Hunt but instead because of the potential for injury. I would like to see some evolution of the offense to incorporate Wilson's skill set. I guess this is why they kept pushing Kimble and AJ Long- for their running abilities and problems with the overall run game once a QB with little running ability is put in.

I was more ragging on the people who thought there was going to be a qb controversy or that Wilson "has way more upside" (like they are giving up on this season already - if Hunt plays the 2nd half, we win by 3 tds)

I certainly wasn't displeased with Wilson's performance. He looks like a QB out there. Even Nassib didnt really look like a QB to me.

I ragged on Hunt a lot last season. I think he has a poor throwing motion. But he certainly has moxie and he gets the job done. I am excited to see him grow the next 2 seasons. He isn't going to the NFL as a QB, but I think he will go down as a really good SU QB.

The Nova player's comments were pretty good. I was just trying to finish a tackle and got punched. And by finish I mean slam the QBs head into the ground.

Agree with you on Austin Crusty, the problem is he does not fit into the system. That's not saying they could not expand the system.

I really wish they had some running plays that were not read option based. For some reason we equate going fast with the shotgun. I would like to see them move under center once in a while. Allows for play action to come in a little more which is something that would help Wilson.

The problem with dual threat QBs is that they do run the ball. This opens you up to potential injuries. I would not be surprised to see Wilson out there again this year not for failure on the part of Hunt but instead because of the potential for injury. I would like to see some evolution of the offense to incorporate Wilson's skill set. I guess this is why they kept pushing Kimble and AJ Long- for their running abilities and problems with the overall run game once a QB with little running ability is put in.

I may be wrong, but I liken a QB's throwing motion to the golf swing. After a point, it is very hard to change. Constant practice can create improvement but under pressure there is a tenancy to revert back to your natural movement. This is one reason why I favor Wilson in the future. Everyone says he has the best motion plus the strongest and most accurate arm on the team. If so, I think he has something really very valuable. To me it is about passing and I would rather have an accurate strong arm than a dual threat. If we can stretch the field, which is something we have not been able to do in many years, everything gets better - the run game, the quick game -everything!

I have no illusions about Hunt becoming a great passer but he doesn't need to be. He just needs to be good enough to keep defenses honest. I have great hopes he will be.

There will be plenty of time for Wilson and he will be ready when it comes.

Didn't know that, I'm shocked.

But I'm glad to see him pull a Boeheim and say he plans to start him. It's about time the football team acts as dirty as the hoop team does.
It is so hard keeping up with stupidity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom