With 5.5 secs left, what was JB thinking? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

With 5.5 secs left, what was JB thinking?

I don't think us having only one good 3 point shooter is relevant. We needed a 3. It would be nice if it could have gone to Cooney but really anyone taking a 3 is better than what happened.

skurey said:
I don't think us having only one good 3 point shooter is relevant. We needed a 3. It would be nice if it could have gone to Cooney but really anyone taking a 3 is better than what happened.
We needed a three, and you don't think our lack of three point shooters is a relevant fact. Someone shoot me.

If we ran a play where Roberson ended up launching a three, there's be a thread asking why jb didn't run that simple inbound pass back to Cooney hoping we could get it to Cooney before they fouled.

Watch the replay. Trevor had two options. Silent g sprinted to the far corner and would have had a clean look at a three...but...that would have been very difficult pass to make along the baseline.

Option two was the quick pass back inbounds that has probably been our most effective play to get an open three this year.

The easier pass was to Rak for the quick pass back for three. Trevor made a judgment on the inbounds and it didn't work.

It's not like we have a plethora of shooters to dazzle teams with in that circumstance. Defenses need to guard two players...and they'd take their chances letting anyone but Cooney get that shot.

It's not like you can wave a magic wand and get a wide open three with only one deep threat. Was it a great result, no, and there probably were other options. But I'm not going to beat up the staff for that call when it's worked so well this year.

As far as criticizing JBs x and o's. Eh. The numbers in close games pretty much ruin that line of thinking. And he's run the high cross screens for our point guards to get easy hard dive layups out of bounds for years. Flynn, mcw and ennis ruined teams with that all the time.

Selective criticism when something doesn't work.

The fact that we didn't get run out if the building yesterday despite getting down 10 twice was more impressive coaching to me.

We needed a 3.

Our best 3 pt shooter was out of the play. JB thought there was a chance that Rak could get the ball and pass back to Cooney without Rak being fouled.

Whether or not that was option 1 is irrelevant. Our best shooter had no chance of taking the 3. Wasn't even a decoy.

If that is selective criticism, you are blindly defending. It was an awful play call.

We needed a three, and you don't think our lack of three point shooters is a relevant fact.

Someone shoot me.

You missed his point. His point was that we needed a catch and shoot 3, not a pass inside the 3 pt line to a guy facing away from the basket. Chino fadeaway would have been a better option. It at least would have given us a 1% chance.

You missed his point. His point was that we needed a catch and shoot 3, not a pass inside the 3 pt line to a guy facing away from the basket. Chino fadeaway would have been a better option. It at least would have given us a 1% chance.
No. Inside out, without the foul, collapses the D and could have given Cooney more room, as people naturally follow the ball.

No. Inside out, without the foul, collapses the D and coild have given Cooney more room, as people naturally follow the ball.

of course...

but that isn't an option with 4.4 seconds left. The pg knew his play was to foul as soon as it went to Rak.

This is only my personal preference, but I'll take my chances with a Buss or BJ 30 footer than completely eliminating even a heave from deep

didn't cooney airball a trey to tie with 8 seconds left ?

didn't cooney airball a trey to tie with 8 seconds left ?

yes.

not sure where you are going with that. because we still needed a 3.

CusefanATL said:
We needed a 3. Our best 3 pt shooter was out of the play. JB thought there was a chance that Rak could get the ball and pass back to Cooney without Rak being fouled. Whether or not that was option 1 is irrelevant. Our best shooter had no chance of taking the 3. Wasn't even a decoy. If that is selective criticism, you are blindly defending. It was an awful play call.

image-3207286221.jpg

Please look at this photo. Notice the wide open Silent G in the near corner. If Cooney makes that pass instead and we get a wide open look from him, JB is a genius for using Cooney as a decoy and getting our second best three point shooter an open look.

He gave Cooney two options, Cooney choose one. It didn't work.

That's why I said watch the replay.

basket and a foul is potential 3 points .or a made ft and miss put back is 3 points. (or possibly even 4 on a kick out ). odds aren't really that much worse imo. we're talking airball here.

Last edited:
CusefanATL said:

I assume a catch and shoot wide open 3 from Gbinje would be acceptable to the pitchfork brigade?

If Trevor make a different pass, that's what we get. But JB can't coach.

Jake said:
Please look at this photo. Notice the wide open Silent G in the near corner. If Cooney makes that pass instead and we get a wide open look from him, JB is a genius for using Cooney as a decoy and getting our second best three point shooter an open look. He gave Cooney two options, Cooney choose one. It didn't work. That's why I said watch the replay.
That's a pretty tough pass though

View attachment 34697

Please look at this photo. Notice the wide open Silent G in the near corner. If Cooney makes that pass instead and we get a wide open look from him, JB is a genius for using Cooney as a decoy and getting our second best three point shooter an open look.

He gave Cooney two options, Cooney choose one. It didn't work.

That's why I said watch the replay.
Except option 1 is an impossible pass at that angle with the backboard and a man in the way and option 2 gives you zero chance to win.

I assume a catch and shoot wide open 3 from Gbinje would be acceptable to the pitchfork brigade?

If Trevor make a different pass, that's what we get. But JB can't coach.

I didn't say he can't coach.

I said that play was idiotic. And the dumbest I've ever seen of him. And there is nothing to change my opinion.

Whether the pass to Rak was option 1 or option 2. It had to be 1 of the 2 options, correct? That means that JB thought that passing to Rak inside the 3 point line was an option. Which it wasn't. It guaranteed the loss as soon as it happened.

And option 1 is passing under the basket to the opposite side of the court. Thats a really hard pass.

And Cooney wasn't a decoy. He was inbounding the ball. He would have been better served sitting where G was as the decoy. They prob would have had 2 defenders on him allowing G and Buss a better shot of being open.

Less than a minute in. Milwaukee's box 42 leak.

That pass is used a lot in basketball. Its not that difficult. Especially with the bounce. High major d1 players should be expected to make that pass.

You guys act like its a Hail Mary.

CusefanATL said:
I didn't say he can't coach. I said that play was idiotic. And the dumbest I've ever seen of him. And there is nothing to change my opinion. Whether the pass to Rak was option 1 or option 2. It had to be 1 of the 2 options, correct? That means that JB thought that passing to Rak inside the 3 point line was an option. Which it wasn't. It guaranteed the loss as soon as it happened. And option 1 is passing under the basket to the opposite side of the court. Thats a really hard pass. And Cooney wasn't a decoy. He was inbounding the ball. He would have been better served sitting where G was as the decoy. They prob would have had 2 defenders on him allowing G and Buss a better shot of being open.

Again. If Cooney makes the bounce pass to Gbinje, we get a WIDE OPEN 3, but it's the worst play call in JBs career.

It's not, and no amount if over the top hyperbole by you will make it so.

CuseNickens said:
Except option 1 is an impossible pass at that angle with the backboard and a man in the way and option 2 gives you zero chance to win.
It's not impossible. Backboards tend to not get in the way of bounce passes.

Last edited:
Jake said:
YouTube Video Less than a minute in. Milwaukee's box 42 leak. That pass is used a lot in basketball. Its not that difficult. Especially with the bounce. High major d1 players should be expected to make that pass. You guys act like its a Hail Mary.
Those Milwaukee plays were not as low as the baseline. And I thought your original post called it a "very difficult pass"? I don't know how Cooney would have gotten beyond the guy parked in the lane.

I guess we should be riding Cooney for making a bad decision.

Didn't realize Mike was wide open in the other corner.

Less than a minute in. Milwaukee's box 42 leak.

That pass is used a lot in basketball. Its not that difficult. Especially with the bounce. High major d1 players should be expected to make that pass.

You guys act like its a Hail Mary.

You do realize that NBA can't camp out in the lane right?

Ive never seen you so passionate about anything. And it's surprising that you choose this.

If his 2nd option was to give the ball to Rak inside the 3 pt line with his back to the basket, yes - I think it goes without saying it was a terrible play call. In the TO, JB should have said NOT to do that.

that reminds me. did i not also hear a 5 SECOND call on miami last night? when's the last time that happened ?

that reminds me. did i not also hear a 5 SECOND call on miami last night? when's the last time that happened ?

They had a 3 second lane violation. Don't recall a 5 second call. Haven't seen 1 of those in a while. Same with a 10 second call. The last 1 I can vividly remember was Josh Wright bringing it against no pressure.

As a side note, I saw a charge called in the duke-st johns game. Those have been pretty rare this season.

I might get flamed for typing this, but JB has never been a great X's and O's coach and he's gotten even worse in recent years. How often does he design a great play in crunch time on his wipe board that actually stands out as a winning play?

And it's inexcuseable that we have two out of bounds plays.

With a team this offensively challenged, why not run some set alley oops? We need as many easy points as we can get. And we run way too much ISO offense, especially considering we lack ISO players.
And while we're at it...why continually permit teams to save clock at crunch time by rolling the ball to mid-court (see Nova game)? A little token pressure before falling back to the zone wouldn't hurt.

CusefanATL said:
You do realize that NBA can't camp out in the lane right? Ive never seen you so passionate about anything. And it's surprising that you choose this. If his 2nd option was to give the ball to Rak inside the 3 pt line with his back to the basket, yes - I think it goes without saying it was a terrible play call. In the TO, JB should have said NOT to do that.

I urge you to watch the actual video of the play. Because it worked perfectly. Gbinje cuts directly to the corner and is WIDE OPEN. When I watched it live from my seat I was sorta pissed Cooney didn't give him the ball and I assumed it was because a defender cut off the passing lane making it a very hard pass.

Then I watched the replay and there isn't a defender anywhere near the passing lane. It was there and Cooney IMO made a bad decision. I was actually more bummed after seeing it.

But because he made the decision he did and the play failed, it was the coaches worst decision in his career. For me, it's just a facepalm moment when I read this. Fans reacting to the result, instead if the coaching design. You have no timeouts, so you have to give your inbounder options.

Could a better play design have been drawn up. Sure...and frankly I would rather not have Cooney as the inbounder. But the play the coach drew up WORKED, it just wasn't executed.

What are you gonna do? You move on without calling for the coaches head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom