With 5.5 secs left, what was JB thinking? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

With 5.5 secs left, what was JB thinking?

I watched the replay.

To me, this photo that I took when Cooney was just releasing the ball is more telling.

Rodriguez had switched onto Christmas and Jekiri was responsible for Gbinije. Jekiri is backing up right into the passing lane between Cooney and Gbinije.

Also, even if Cooney was somehow able to get a pass around the 7'0" Jekiri, the angle of Gbinije's cut would have left him inside the 3-point line.

I don't see what Cooney was supposed to do differently.

I'm still wondering why Boeheim called a timeout just to call a play SU runs often.

photo(1).JPG

What are you gonna do? You move on without calling for the coaches head.

you act like... no... you say i am calling for his head. Why?

BlackSquirrels said:
I watched the replay. To me, this photo that I took when Cooney was just releasing the ball is more telling. Rodriguez had switched onto Christmas and Jekiri was responsible for Gbinije. Jekiri is backing up right into the passing lane between Cooney and Gbinije. Also, even if Cooney was somehow able to get a pass around the 7'0" Jekiri, the angle of Gbinije's cut would have left him inside the 3-point line. I don't see what Cooney was supposed to do differently. I'm still wondering why Boeheim called a timeout just to call a play SU runs often.
good shot

BlackSquirrels said:
I watched the replay. To me, this photo that I took when Cooney was just releasing the ball is more telling. Rodriguez had switched onto Christmas and Jekiri was responsible for Gbinije. Jekiri is backing up right into the passing lane between Cooney and Gbinije. Also, even if Cooney was somehow able to get a pass around the 7'0" Jekiri, the angle of Gbinije's cut would have left him inside the 3-point line. I don't see what Cooney was supposed to do differently. I'm still wondering why Boeheim called a timeout just to call a play SU runs often.

Yep. Rak sets the screen freeing Gbinje from Rodriguez, Gbinje then darts to the corner and Rak presents himself to take a pass. Trevor inbounds the ball before Gbinje clears. If he waits, he's got an open Gbinje.

Instead he throws the ball to Rak knowing it's designed to come back to him. I don't think its unreasonable for Trevor choose the latter. He wanted that shot. Not a bad thing for a player to want to pull the trigger in that case. Too often kids are afraid.

But, I think he should have passed to mike because he was open. The play got our second best shooter a potential wide open three. I don't have a problem with the play call.

This was the biggest boneheaded coaching decision that I can ever recall from JB.

There is a whole other thread to this.

And there was only 4.4 seconds left - which makes the decision even dumber.

Did you happen to see the Iowa game?

And no body had the cajonies to ask at press conference what the play was designed to do. JB is so demeaning at press conferences reporters are intimidated.

Seems to me that this question would be asked if the Post-Standard's beat writers are as great as some claim.

Yep. Rak sets the screen freeing Gbinje from Rodriguez, Gbinje then darts to the corner and Rak presents himself to take a pass. Trevor inbounds the ball before Gbinje clears. If he waits, he's got an open Gbinje.

Instead he throws the ball to Rak knowing it's designed to come back to him. I don't think its unreasonable for Trevor choose the latter. He wanted that shot. Not a bad thing for a player to want to pull the trigger in that case. Too often kids are afraid.

But, I think he should have passed to mike because he was open. The play got our second best shooter a potential wide open three. I don't have a problem with the play call.
you are wrong, my friend. It was a terrible call. I love jb and disagree that he is not a good x and o coach. All of the records tell a different story. But we have not made that pass to silent G this year. We always throw it to rak for the screen. And everyone and you included knew that they were going to foul immediately. This had to be a catch and shoot and that was the only reason to call time out.

You have to realize that Miami is going to foul immediately when it's a three point game. You're not going to have time to give and go from Rak to Cooney. I like that play in 99% of situations, but this was the 1%.
99% of the situations? you mean except for that particular situation right? which makes it a bad play.
Watch the replay. Trevor had two options. Silent g sprinted to the far corner and would have had a clean look at a three...but...that would have been very difficult pass to make along the baseline.

Option two was the quick pass back inbounds that has probably been our most effective play to get an open three this year.

The easier pass was to Rak for the quick pass back for three. Trevor made a judgment on the inbounds and it didn't work.

It's not like we have a plethora of shooters to dazzle teams with in that circumstance. Defenses need to guard two players...and they'd take their chances letting anyone but Cooney get that shot.

It's not like you can wave a magic wand and get a wide open three with only one deep threat. Was it a great result, no, and there probably were other options. But I'm not going to beat up the staff for that call when it's worked so well this year.

As far as criticizing JBs x and o's. Eh. The numbers in close games pretty much ruin that line of thinking. And he's run the high cross screens for our point guards to get easy hard dive layups out of bounds for years. Flynn, mcw and ennis ruined teams with that all the time.

Selective criticism when something doesn't work.

The fact that we didn't get run out if the building yesterday despite getting down 10 twice was more impressive coaching to me.
c'mon Jake we are supposed to be happy about not getting run out of the building? at home? against Miami and larranaga? that was not a more talented team, more experienced maybe but cmon. the players made bad plays when the game was close and that comes down on the coach.

99% of the situations? you mean except for that particular situation right? which makes it a bad play.
Yes, that's what I said. Thanks for restating exactly what I said. Saying that I like that play in almost every situation except for that one exact situation means that I think it's a bad play in that situation. Holy hell.

Jesus you're a jackass.

Yes, that's what I said. Thanks for restating exactly what I said. Saying that I like that play in almost every situation except for that one exact situation means that I think it's a bad play in that situation. Holy hell.

Jesus you're a jackass.
why are you insulting Jesus?

c'mon Jake we are supposed to be happy about not getting run out of the building? at home? against Miami and larranaga? that was not a more talented team, more experienced maybe but cmon. the players made bad plays when the game was close and that comes down on the coach.
No that's on the players...are they not personally accountable for missed free throws and careless turnovers or a missed easy dunk. As a player, I would never blame a coach for mistakes I made on that court. If I missed a free throw, that was on me. Coaches get too much credit and too much blame always in my opinion.

Also, every out of bounds play I ever ran on every team has different options. When you practice them you always go through each option available. Cooney never looks at the other options, but looks to get it to RAK to always get it back. I will agree with those who have said we only go with 2 options on out of bounds plays. I mean in high school I remember having 7 different sets we would use and each had at minimum two options.

The more I watch the play, the more I'm starting to come around on the fact that Trevor was the desired option. Which still pisses me off because Mike was open. But the body language coming out of the huddle and JBs reaction suggests that it was designed to have Trevor take that shot.

Not a great play choice...when they watch the tape they'll see mike was open and I wouldn't be surprised if they come back to it at some point in the season.

Because he allowed his dad to create you.

I'm an atheist and I'm still holding that against him.

LOL...This is now the second thread in the last two days where you look like you are arguing with yourself.

The other one was even better because there were four or five posts in row where you are clearly going back and forth with someone but it looks like you are arguing with yourself because I am ignoring whoever it is that has incurred your wrath...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom