WOW?! | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

WOW?!

Just because I expect JB to retire in a year and don't want to fire him now doesn't mean I don't agree.

I think the zone kills our offense. It was fine when teams couldn't shoot and a great small forward could take pressure off a big combo guard you pretend is a pg (scoop, edelin)

When JB goes I don't want to see the zone again.
Wait, you think Scoop and Edelin weren’t real PGs?

So what. They had 8 losses coming into the game. They aren’t great. That was as embarrassing as it gets this season.
There was a stat they flashed onscreen during the game that Duke is 10-1 with their full lineup. Sounds like they’ve been dealing with injuries. And a couple of their freshman have taken longer to get going. Virginia Tech is also a much better team with Hunter Cattoor, who was out a good portion of the season. One key being out can make a big difference.

None of that is an excuse for the stale state of the Syracuse program.

Last edited:
The “so what” here is that it is a waste of time to complain about the zone or in-game coaching. It is about SU recruiting. Duke had the #1 recruiting class in 2022 and it shows. For future reference, their 2023 class has 5 kids in the top 20. And we have 0 recruits.

Their inside players shut down Jesse and over powered our forwards all game long. They lost to Kansas and Purdue early. Regardless of the losses to other teams, their talent level is far better than ours. That is what is embarrassing.
And I don’t wanna hear about an assistant coach not being able to recruit or win. Hubert Davis last year. Scheyer has the number 2 recruiting class next year. For the love of god just give the reigns to someone else. It will never get as bad as Patrick Ewing bc he simply can’t coach. So please just try. You never know what you could end up with in a good way instead of fearing what could go wrong.

There was a stat they flashed onscreen during the game that Duke is 10-1 with their full lineup. Sounds like they’ve been dealing with injuries. And a couple of their freshman have been longer to get going. Virginia Tech is also a much better team with Hunter Cattoor, who was out a good portion of the season. One key being out can make a big difference.
They barely got by Notre Dame with that same lineup and the guy they were missing comes off the bench. We laid an egg of epic proportions.

And I don’t wanna hear about an assistant coach not being able to recruit or win. Hubert Davis last year. Scheyer has the number 2 recruiting class next year. For the love of god just give the reigns to someone else. It will never get as bad as Patrick Ewing bc he simply can’t coach. So please just try. You never know what you could end up with in a good way instead of fearing what could go wrong.
Their recruiting success has more to do with the names North Carolina and Duke than it does with Davis and Scheyer. Do you actually think if either Davis or Scheyer came to Syracuse they would be raking in five star recruits?

Football programs heading in the right direction with a coach who, though he has clear faults, is easy to like

Dunno about that... Dino has his worst rated recruiting class ever coming in next season...

Syracuse Football: 2023 class, rankings-wise, worst in Dino Babers’ era

247Sports Web Site
National Rank: 72

Rivals-com
National Rank: 94

On3 Web Site
National Rank: 76

Average: 80.67

Now you can say it's because the number of players coming in are low... Which is also surprising for a roster that is well into the 2, 3, or 4 deep at positions due to injuries by end October every year, when the proverbial wheels fly off.

Dino is very likeable tho, I agree.

Their recruiting success has more to do with the names North Carolina and Duke than it does with Davis and Scheyer. Do you actually think if either Davis or Scheyer came to Syracuse they would be raking in five star recruits?
I think those head coaches actually put the work into recruiting. There are too many other options for kids especially with NIL to just get away with the names of Duke and Unc. These guys are working unlike JB

Do you think we would do better replacing Jesse and Joe with guys from the portal, or would we be better if both of them returned?
Yes. You all seem to forget that he is 78. How much longer would he stay even on his own terms? I worry that he will go out on a stretcher, which would be terrible. Obviously we will need to move on one way or another, either he gets a gentle push out, or he leaves because he finally is too old to keep this up. So, yes the be careful what you wish for is irrelevant, and RF is correct. To me it is better to start moving forward sooner than later. I am 10 year younger than JB, and would like to see the rebuilt product in my time.
I'm 2 years younger and might not see a new coach when I reach 80. That would be a very bad situation. It's sad that JB doesn't realize that it's past time to go.
He has had many great teams, but he should have left under the original plan, and let Hop take over.

Red? Autry? Why in the Wide World of Sports would he be taking crap after this?
That was not my intention. He will be the next coach . It was about the talent on the floor

Dunno about that... Dino has his worst rated recruiting class ever coming in next season...

Syracuse Football: 2023 class, rankings-wise, worst in Dino Babers’ era

247Sports Web Site
National Rank: 72

Rivals-com
National Rank: 94

On3 Web Site
National Rank: 76

Average: 80.67

Now you can say it's because the number of players coming in are low... Which is also surprising for a roster that is well into the 2, 3, or 4 deep at positions due to injuries by end October every year, when the proverbial wheels fly off.

Dino is very likeable tho, I agree.

Do those sites include transfers? Because that why our HS numbers are low.

Do those sites include transfers? Because that why our HS numbers are low.

No, I do not believe so.

Are other teams portal transfers not counted either?

No, I do not believe so.

Are other teams portal transfers not counted either?

If ours aren’t then others aren’t either. But we went heavy in the portal especially in replacing some of our better players.

They’ve lost to 6 ACC teams. Have you even watched them this year? They aren’t even ranked. Good lord. That was not Zion Williamson and Tre Jones that we went up against last night.
You've beat this drum pretty hard.

This might not be a vintage Duke team in terms of one and done lottery picks. But the size, talent, and athleticism they put on the court at all five positions is like a flashing neon light. There is no doubt they have underachieved to date relative to all that talent. But I suspect that they will be a very tough out versus just about anyone going forward. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them win the ACCT.

Sadly we were completely outcoached tonight on both ends of the floor. How else do you explain so many uncontested three point shots, numerous easy layups against our press, and an offense that relies on two passes and not the shots you would want to rely on to win a game?
its the scheme. its not the players. in 2023, the scheme only works if the planets align i.e. perfect roster with experience and talent (which, in this landscape, let's face it, it isnt going to happen)

the most frustrating thing for me as a fan during this stretch of diminshing returns is that there's this vice-grip mentality of unwillingness to change...they say they make adjustments but only within a narrow frame of ineptitude.

as if somehow playing man to man D would be worse than wide open 3 after wide open dunk after wide open 3 etc....

head in the sand stubbornness

putting the system on a pedestal

it's good when it is good. when it's not...it blows...like it does now. but total refusal to even consider something else

it's disrespectful to the fans players and program...

is it because the coach is incapable of implementing something else?

would it take too much work? is he just not "energetic" enough to try putting something else in?

the system isnt good enough to stick to it this stubbornly!

opponents are feasting and picking it apart...

they are relaxed on offense knowing they get wide open 3 in ryhtm when they want and uncontested lib dunks etc

I think he just loves basketball and loves being the coach...and will never choose to walk away.

I would be much more supportive if he was trying different things...trying different defenses, etc

trying to run offense that works

7 assists????

pick a random fan from the stands and have them coach vs duke and the team could make 7 assists. 1000% guaranteed.

So if JB was more likeable you'd want him to stay?
Theres easy reasons to be optimistic about the football program. ADJW has been out in front speaking when needed about the state of the football program. Dino’s made staff replacements. He’s shown urgency.

Basketball program’s just Boeheim’s island

The zone is the issue. Its no longer effective for many reasons. Syracuse will never consistently win again as long as we play zone. Ever.
100% zone does not work anymore. I wish Coach wasn’t so stubborn about it. Between open 3’s and dunks in the half court (I believe we may give up more than anybody of these 100% shots) it just doesn’t work as a full time defense. Too many deep shooters spread the defense. On a side note, I’ve never seen so many corner shooters step on the sideline. It was also a bad night. The kind which happens. I hope Boeheim stays. He has adapted to playing a deeper bench and resting everyone. Changing up defenses is the next tweak.

The zone is the issue. Its no longer effective for many reasons. Syracuse will never consistently win again as long as we play zone. Ever.
until it is. Duke was on, SU wasn’t

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom