WOW?! | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

WOW?!

I remember the old presses of Danforth and early Boeheim. I don't recall fully selling out with 4 guys at or below the foul line, pressuring the inbounds. I recall a little more balance in the ways the guys were spread out in the front court.

But of course, it's been 50 years, and you can't find many of those games on YouTube. We used to play a fair amount of man in the early days, too. A big part of Boeheim's success in the 1987 championship game against Indiana was the way he kept switching defenses on Knight. We were the better team that night.

Once he had the run in '96 with the Wallace team (and its very limited athleticism), he has never really gone away from the zone since that team.
Roy’s Runts played a straight two three zone and pressed full court nearly all game.

Danforth always marked the in bounds man. Usually with Mike Lee.

Wadach, Lee, Dooms and the rest were super smart players.

They pressed very effectively.

Danforth couldn’t play man to man defense because he had such a short line up.

Boeheim started playing some man to man when Rick Pitino came on board and pushed for it, but it wasn’t used all that often.

Last edited:
In this age of the portal, you have to put players egos aside and go get the best players possible. Players show little loyalty to a school and coaches have to worry about now. Duke still has by far the best talent in the league. If they have all their players healthy, they will win the ACC tournament. If Duke shortens their rotation, they might dominate people. If Whitehead gets 28-32 minutes he would average over twenty points. Seeing them in person is impressive. They are huge and more physical than I thought. Players who can slash to the basket can give them some issues.

In this age of the portal, you have to put players egos aside and go get the best players possible. Players show little loyalty to a school and coaches have to worry about now. Duke still has by far the best talent in the league. If they have all their players healthy, they will win the ACC tournament. If Duke shortens their rotation, they might dominate people. If Whitehead gets 28-32 minutes he would average over twenty points. Seeing them in person is impressive. They are huge and more physical than I thought. Players who can slash to the basket can give them some issues.
We can't go to the portal it might hurt the incoming recruits feelings, remember? Thats the line I heard last spring. Either Jim is senile in his talent evaluation or the program is broken I'm terms of competitive culture within.

Roy’s Runts played a straight two three zone and pressed full court nearly all game.

Danforth always marked the in bounds man. Usually with Mike Lee.

Wadach, Lee, Dooms and the rest were super smart players.

They pressed very effectively.

Danforth couldn’t play man to man defense because he had such a short line up.

Boeheim started playing some man to man when Rick Patino came on board and pushed for it, but it wasn’t used all that often.

I just linked the 1972 NIT game vs. Maryland in this thread. You would get a kick out of it. We only scored 6 points for the first 9 minutes of the game, but game back to make it a 2 point game with about a minute to go, before SU got called for a 3 shot technical (!!). We were still within a couple with about 15 seconds to play. It's a fun watch.

Is this a serious post?

You thought the refs are why we lost by 22?
Duke was clearly way better. They have not shot like that all year. Our team got lambasted tonight

Do you think we would do better replacing Jesse and Joe with guys from the portal, or would we be better if both of them returned?
Good question. Hard to say. It seems no portal players want to come here and we don’t work the portal the way we should. So, maybe it’s better if Joe and jesse stay, but then we can expect more of the same. The easy answer is, yeah, if we can get better players, sure, replace them. Not that easy however. We’re in a jam.

Good question. Hard to say. It seems no portal players want to come here and we don’t work the portal the way we should. So, maybe it’s better if Joe and jesse stay, but then we can expect more of the same. The easy answer is, yeah, if we can get better players, sure, replace them. Not that easy however. We’re in a jam.
I think we have players who will be much better next year but still not the level of Dukes' players.

Eh Swider was on a losing team. That team wasn’t good and this team isn’t good. Swider doesn’t change anything.
As bad as we were last year, I think that team was better. If Mintz would pass the ball then Swider would be a huge asset on this team, sadly I don’t think he’d get the ball much regardless.

He is a skinny freshman. To me, he looks like Sam Perkins without the outside shot. I love the way he hunts and pokes at defensive rebounds by the other team to poke them loose. He has a sneaky good game. He passes pretty well inside, and he's starting to drive to the rim a bit.
You are correct but it is puzzling to me how in the last few games he has had his shots blocked inside. Almost like he does not see the defender or doesn not even know he is there?

I just linked the 1972 NIT game vs. Maryland in this thread. You would get a kick out of it. We only scored 6 points for the first 9 minutes of the game, but game back to make it a 2 point game with about a minute to go, before SU got called for a 3 shot technical (!!). We were still within a couple with about 15 seconds to play. It's a fun watch.
That’s great!

I remember that game.

That was a really talented MD team with Tom McMillan that we always seemed to play well.

Clemson lost at Louisville last night shooting 4-24 from three. Lucky for Clemson that SU’s zone is coming to town to cure their shooting woes. Gone are the days that the zone can beat really good teams. If we had all five star athletes, maybe, but our recruits aren’t beating teams that have players.

Wow. This was falling on our face. JB recruited these players, makes the call who plays the minutes and it's his scheme. You can't have two seniors continue to fade away in big games. You can't have a scheme that gives away open 3s in a version of the game where everyone wants to get open 3s.

All the things people rave about- a packed dome, our legacy, JB as a HOF and I could go on, no longer go out and get the job done. Last night was embarrassing for the program. Less so than usual because it's happened numerous times.

Also this is no longer this "us against the world" thing that seems implied from some folks. Vitale now saying it's time like many others is not the talking heads being unfair or missing how young we are etc. They are simply folks who love hoops and know hoops and can see it for what it is. We have to graduate to the next phase of the program... for the 1000th time and amongst so many others saying it. We aren't winning the ACCT. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer on that too but NIT is our future ( hopefully). Also there is no guarantee we don't get knocked out of the NIT early.

Also last night wasn't just a loss. It was getting hammered by an unranked team in a big game in front of a big crowd. We weren't even competitive. Beating Duke is like beating UVA and UNC now

So what. They had 8 losses coming into the game. They aren’t great. That was as embarrassing as it gets this season.
The “so what” here is that it is a waste of time to complain about the zone or in-game coaching. It is about SU recruiting. Duke had the #1 recruiting class in 2022 and it shows. For future reference, their 2023 class has 5 kids in the top 20. And we have 0 recruits.

Their inside players shut down Jesse and over powered our forwards all game long. They lost to Kansas and Purdue early. Regardless of the losses to other teams, their talent level is far better than ours. That is what is embarrassing.

The “so what” here is that it is a waste of time to complain about the zone or in-game coaching. It is about SU recruiting. Duke had the #1 recruiting class in 2022 and it shows. For future reference, their 2023 class has 5 kids in the top 20. And we have 0 recruits.

Their inside players shut down Jesse and over powered our forwards all game long. They lost to Kansas and Purdue early. Regardless of the losses to other teams, their talent level is far better than ours. That is what is embarrassing.
They’ve lost to 6 ACC teams. Have you even watched them this year? They aren’t even ranked. Good lord. That was not Zion Williamson and Tre Jones that we went up against last night.

Go look at UVA and Purdues recruiting classes. They pale vs Duke. It's more than recruiting. Even though recruiting certainly has its very important role in it all.

UK and Duke both have tons of talent on paper. Duke with this group has no business beating us by 20 at home no matter the talent on paper that has shown to fall short of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom