WOW?! | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

WOW?!

Crazy to me that people are still focusing their disgust on Joe after another performance like this.

Our three forwards and center sucked. Straight up sucked. And a big part of that was the fact that our staff is absurdly inept at offensive scheming. There were no adjustments. We just let Duke take away our interior play

My disgust isn't at Joe my disgust is for the program as a whole and what it has become that JG3 is the "star" of the team. Him starting would be bad enough but being the "star" of the team is everything that sums up what is wrong with the program and how how far it has fallen.

I do like Brown also but he is a below the rim type player and we will need him to be way more of a physical presence on the floor if he isn't going to be a high flyer. I imagine that will come with time just hope he stays that long.

He is a skinny freshman. To me, he looks like Sam Perkins without the outside shot. I love the way he hunts and pokes at defensive rebounds by the other team to poke them loose. He has a sneaky good game. He passes pretty well inside, and he's starting to drive to the rim a bit.

Boeheim has been running the same press since 1976 with Dale Shackleford marking the inbounds man.

I am pretty sure that Roy Danforth ran the same press.
Gus doesnt like change

Boeheim has been running the same press since 1976 with Dale Shackleford marking the inbounds man.

I am pretty sure that Roy Danforth ran the same press.

I remember the old presses of Danforth and early Boeheim. I don't recall fully selling out with 4 guys at or below the foul line, pressuring the inbounds. I recall a little more balance in the ways the guys were spread out in the front court.

But of course, it's been 50 years, and you can't find many of those games on YouTube. We used to play a fair amount of man in the early days, too. A big part of Boeheim's success in the 1987 championship game against Indiana was the way he kept switching defenses on Knight. We were the better team that night.

Once he had the run in '96 with the Wallace team (and its very limited athleticism), he has never really gone away from the zone since that team.

I don’t want any nit just get this crap season over with
I’m reminded of a movie from 1969, “They Shoot Horses Don’t They?”

I remember the old presses of Danforth and early Boeheim. I don't recall fully selling out with 4 guys at or below the foul line, pressuring the inbounds. I recall a little more balance in the ways the guys were spread out in the front court.

But of course, it's been 50 years, and you can't find many of those games on YouTube. We used to play a fair amount of man in the early days, too. A big part of Boeheim's success in the 1987 championship game against Indiana was the way he kept switching defenses on Knight. We were the better team that night.

Once he had the run in '96 with the Wallace team (and its very limited athleticism), he has never really gone away from the zone since that team.
Its an ego thing. Jim was anointed a zone savant and ever since then he has refused to adjust.
Its stale and easy to beat.We used to force bad shots. Today we only win if the other team misses open 3s. I dont remember one contested 3 today. Not one. It was like a pre game shoot around. Horrible.

Then don't just recruit players for this zone. Especially point guard.
Just because I expect JB to retire in a year and don't want to fire him now doesn't mean I don't agree.

I think the zone kills our offense. It was fine when teams couldn't shoot and a great small forward could take pressure off a big combo guard you pretend is a pg (scoop, edelin)

When JB goes I don't want to see the zone again.

Just because I expect JB to retire in a year and don't want to fire him now doesn't mean I don't agree.

I think the zone kills our offense. It was fine when teams couldn't shoot and a great small forward could take pressure off a big combo guard you pretend is a pg (scoop, edelin)

When JB goes I don't want to see the zone again.
Switching Ds is what i want to see. Coach K started mixing in the zone and did so successfully.

Crazy to me that people are still focusing their disgust on Joe after another performance like this.

Our three forwards and center sucked. Straight up sucked. And a big part of that was the fact that our staff is absurdly inept at offensive scheming. There were no adjustments. We just let Duke take away our interior play
Agreed, I’m not a Joe homer, 4 years of posts show that, but he should be at the bottom of player complaints this year.

Its an ego thing. Jim was anointed a zone savant and ever since then he has refused to adjust.
Its stale and easy to beat.We used to force bad shots. Today we only win if the other team misses open 3s. I dont remember one contested 3 today. Not one. It was like a pre game shoot around. Horrible.
In some ways we are still paying for the upset over Kansas in 1996 when this zone talk started to gain steam. 19 friggin 96.

Here's a trip down memory lane. Video of us vs. Maryland in the 1972 NIT. This is the Denny Duval, Kid Kohls, Mark Wadach, Mike Lee team. You see some press, a lot of 2-3 zone, and oh my so many missed shots.

Sadly we were completely outcoached tonight on both ends of the floor. How else do you explain so many uncontested three point shots, numerous easy layups against our press, and an offense that relies on two passes and not the shots you would want to rely on to win a game?

We should be playing some man and pressure every game. I believe this team outside of Joe is made to play man
Our frontcourt would foul out in three minutes playing man.

Sadly we were completely outcoached tonight on both ends of the floor. How else do you explain so many uncontested three point shots, numerous easy layups against our press, and an offense that relies on two passes and not the shots you would want to rely on to win a game?
Maybe because Duke had the #1 recruiting class, a ton of height to handle Jesse, and much better forwards than we have? Try coaching around that.

Maybe because Duke had the #1 recruiting class, a ton of height to handle Jesse, and much better forwards than we have? Try coaching around that.
Last I looked, it was the coaches job to get players. We had a quality forward that just really needed to be asked to come back and he would have. We could have hit the portal like almost everyone else but we didn't. Everything about our program for the last 7 or 8 years has been stale. We need a fresh start. A more exciting style. We have a lot to offer.

"Wish for?"
Boeheim's departure is inevitable and impending, people need to start mentally preparing for that.
Yes. You all seem to forget that he is 78. How much longer would he stay even on his own terms? I worry that he will go out on a stretcher, which would be terrible. Obviously we will need to move on one way or another, either he gets a gentle push out, or he leaves because he finally is too old to keep this up. So, yes the be careful what you wish for is irrelevant, and RF is correct. To me it is better to start moving forward sooner than later. I am 10 year younger than JB, and would like to see the rebuilt product in my time.

Just got done watching the press conference, and he mentioned the need for more production out of the forward position. He says they’re two freshmen and we need more from them.

Is he really this dense? Cole Swider was THERE and you said no thanks. The portal had PLENTY of guys who could give more production. Nope!

I appreciate the progress this team has made. However, the 16-11 record is a direct reflection on the coaching staff and their lack of commitment to putting the best, most talented team out there looking to win this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom