Class of 2016 - WR Thomas Gordon (NC) verbal to Furman | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 WR Thomas Gordon (NC) verbal to Furman

CuseLegacy

http://syracuse.At their request, t...-mvp-gordon-says-syracuse-is-top-school?s=185

Free Article...

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Many ACC targets flooded Saturday’s The Opening Charlotte event at Mallard Creek High School, but one of the standouts from the camp has a Syracuse connection unlike most others.

Thomas Gordon entered Saturday’s The Opening Charlotte event with a small advantage over his fellow wide receiver prospects. The camp was being held at his home stadium at Charlotte (N.C.) Mallard Creek High School.

The rising-senior took full advantage as one of the surprises of the event, taking home positional MVP honors despite a deep and talented wideout pool for the Student Spots staff to choose from. He all but predicted the outcome with CuseNation.com before the event began, soon after showing up with Syracuse gear proudly displayed.

After Saturday, the Orange may not be the only new school on Gordon’s interest list.

“I have an offer from Elon,” he said. “I’m hearing from Wake Forest, Duke, Liberty and Furman. I haven’t heard much from Syracuse yet. I like Syracuse, I was born there, so I want to go back home and play there.

“If they offer, I’d probably commit. That’s my top school, them and Duke. I’m an ACC guy.”
Born in Central New York before spending time in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Gordon admits distance is a non-factor in his recruitment. He hasn’t been to SU in quite some time and has never been hosted as a recruit there, though the plan is to change both facts in the near future.

The trip could feature many Orange targets at one time as buzz in the area after four-star Robert Washington committed to ‘Cuse last month is still resonating, per many of the prospects in attendance.

“I’m friends with Robert. They’re recruiting down here (North Carolina) more, so it gives me hope,” Gordon said with a laugh.

It was all business after that point for the 6-foot, 165-pound talent, who rarely came out on the short end of a rep and was frequently complimented by the quarterbacks in attendance for consistency and route-running ability.

“I’m a quick in-and-out the break wide receiver, aggressive and I play the ball well,” he said.

Gordon has a busy summer in front of him. He's scheduled to attend most of the semi-local ACC camps before the 2015 season beings.

He played on Team USA so there is our connection to some other recruits. I found him listed at 6' 165lbs with a 4.52 40 time and after watching his tape I would take this kid right now. Coach Acosta follows him on twitter as well.

From watching his highlights (and I'm no expert) He has the ability to just flat out run past defenders with his speed as well as the elusiveness to make a man or two miss him once the ball is in his hands. I know it was just a highlight tape, but I am sold. I could see him at both the slot and split out wide as a deep threat.

I have to think the only hesitation our coaches have in offering right now is we have 4-5 WR targets who are high priorities, so he he commits we have 2 WR already. Have to imagine we will only take 4-5 tops.

I have to think the only hesitation our coaches have in offering right now is we have 4-5 WR targets who are high priorities, so he he commits we have 2 WR already. Have to imagine we will only take 4-5 tops.
I wonder if they regret taking Palmer so early?

Where would you rank him in regards to the receivers we are recruiting currently. Normally I would be a bird in the hand type of guy and would want to offer/take a commitment from him since from what he said in the article, but with the way this staff has been recruiting I trust them to pick up a few high priority targets so I don't mind waiting on this offer, I just hope we show him a little love even if we don't offer right away.

Something on him and one other potential sleeper prospect: http://.com/sleeper-wide-receiver-prospects-emerging/

Where would you rank him in regards to the receivers we are recruiting currently. Normally I would be a bird in the hand type of guy and would want to offer/take a commitment from him since from what he said in the article, but with the way this staff has been recruiting I trust them to pick up a few high priority targets so I don't mind waiting on this offer, I just hope we show him a little love even if we don't offer right away.
I have to think that guys like Stewart (who I think is going to be great) and Harmon absolutely will have spots held open for them. After that, I'm not sure what's realistic.

CuseLegacy said:
http://syracuse.At their request, t...-mvp-gordon-says-syracuse-is-top-school?s=185 Free Article... CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Many ACC targets flooded Saturday’s The Opening Charlotte event at Mallard Creek High School, but one of the standouts from the camp has a Syracuse connection unlike most others. Thomas Gordon entered Saturday’s The Opening Charlotte event with a small advantage over his fellow wide receiver prospects. The camp was being held at his home stadium at Charlotte (N.C.) Mallard Creek High School. The rising-senior took full advantage as one of the surprises of the event, taking home positional MVP honors despite a deep and talented wideout pool for the Student Spots staff to choose from. He all but predicted the outcome with CuseNation.com before the event began, soon after showing up with Syracuse gear proudly displayed. After Saturday, the Orange may not be the only new school on Gordon’s interest list. “I have an offer from Elon,” he said. “I’m hearing from Wake Forest, Duke, Liberty and Furman. I haven’t heard much from Syracuse yet. I like Syracuse, I was born there, so I want to go back home and play there. “If they offer, I’d probably commit. That’s my top school, them and Duke. I’m an ACC guy.” Born in Central New York before spending time in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Gordon admits distance is a non-factor in his recruitment. He hasn’t been to SU in quite some time and has never been hosted as a recruit there, though the plan is to change both facts in the near future. The trip could feature many Orange targets at one time as buzz in the area after four-star Robert Washington committed to ‘Cuse last month is still resonating, per many of the prospects in attendance. “I’m friends with Robert. They’re recruiting down here (North Carolina) more, so it gives me hope,” Gordon said with a laugh. It was all business after that point for the 6-foot, 165-pound talent, who rarely came out on the short end of a rep and was frequently complimented by the quarterbacks in attendance for consistency and route-running ability. “I’m a quick in-and-out the break wide receiver, aggressive and I play the ball well,” he said. Gordon has a busy summer in front of him. He's scheduled to attend most of the semi-local ACC camps before the 2015 season beings.

I hope he puts some weight.

Just from reading his evaluation, and his size, it sounds like he would be best in the slot. We already have Neal, and maybe Thompson ahead of him.

anomander said:
Just from reading his evaluation, and his size, it sounds like he would be best in the slot. We already have Neal, and maybe Thompson ahead of him.

I think it is pretty simple, we just need more slots.

Kid was just named mvp out of a pretty good group. He is a NC recruit and landing kids from NC Georgia and other southern states is huge. I say take him asap

Would like to see more of the route tree from him. The highlights look good enough but it's 11 minutes of go routes, posts, and screens with only 1 or 2 curls. Perhaps that's all his coach ever calls for him but would like to see more underneath stuff if we're looking at him at h-back.

Would like to see more of the route tree from him. The highlights look good enough but it's 11 minutes of go routes, posts, and screens with only 1 or 2 curls. Perhaps that's all his coach ever calls for him but would like to see more underneath stuff if we're looking at him at h-back.
We aren't looking at him as an h-back, though...actually, we're not even looking at him very hard at the moment. But he's a true slot receiver, not any sort of hybrid like Moe Neal or Erv Philips. And he doesn't have to be a slot, either...it's just where he projects best.

they'll evaluate him like any other prospect and will rank him. If he's toward the top of the board then they'll offer.

Last edited:
He just posted this on his Twitter account last night.

We aren't looking at him as an h-back, though...actually, we're not even looking at him very hard at the moment. But he's a true slot receiver, not any sort of hybrid like Moe Neal or Erv Philips. And he doesn't have to be a slot, either...it's just where he projects best.
I hope we do give him at least a look, he bleeds Orange and seems to be improving. Plus with him knowing Robert and playing for Team USA with a bunch of other prospects we've offered he certainly wouldn't hurt us.

It will be interesting to see who the staff is able to get at a position I'm sure we all would agree could use a bit of an upgrade, and with so many offers out I don't think we will see a clear picture for a few months at least.

I hope we do give him at least a look, he bleeds Orange and seems to be improving. Plus with him knowing Robert and playing for Team USA with a bunch of other prospects we've offered he certainly wouldn't hurt us.

It will be interesting to see who the staff is able to get at a position I'm sure we all would agree could use a bit of an upgrade, and with so many offers out I don't think we will see a clear picture for a few months at least.
Some intrepid young writer ran down an interview with Thomas: http://.com/one-on-one-with-wr-prospect-thomas-gordon/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom