"You are What Your Record Says You Are" B. Parcells | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

"You are What Your Record Says You Are" B. Parcells

“If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms” - Mike Ditka.

See, this could be applied to kicking FG’s too, so going for it before half was the right call. But we should’ve thrown a pass into the end zone at the end. Ditka says so.

2 Questions

1 If you are AD and this “crap” continues to a less than .500 record what would you do at the end of the year? Do you fire Babers? Without putting words in your mouth can we assume you are saying this Dino Babers era isn’t working, so what would you do?

2. What record do you think Scott Frost coaches this team to this year? Frost was chosen because they are undefeated and his record is what it says it is.
1. Absolutely agree that the AD should not do anything after this year. But, if the record is 4w 8l again, then you have to have a performance review that unambiguously provides feedback and puts out milestones for coming years. I can't imagine that wouldn't happen as it is standard practice in any organization.

2. Speculation on what Scott Frost's record would be is just that, speculation. I could say that he might have beaten a crappy Middle Tennessee team and been one win closer to the mark, but that is just useless speculation. I have no particular knowledge of or interest in Scott Frost.

Serious question for the Dino doubters.
In terms of the 65 P5 jobs where do you think Syracuse was when Dino got here?

Dino has taken away the auto win status Syracuse had for other teams when he got here.

He is the best thing to happen to Syracuse football in a while. He made some mistakes yesterday but the job he has done is obvious.

I’m sure I’m about to get blasted but I understand both sides and I get what Boston is saying, to some degree. I absolutely see the improvement and losing Babers is the worst possible thing that could happen IMO. I don’t think this program could handle another coaching change that would bring in a whole new philosophy without the players to run it. Before we hired Babers I was about to literally give up on the program when it looked like Ash could be hired.

I also understand the feeling that right now we are a flashy offense with lots of stats but a W/L record that is still what it is, bottom of the barrel. My fear is all of these close games are just that, close games that make us feel like we’re better despite the record showing we aren’t. If we are better, we have to win 1/2 games to either MTSU or FSU, we lost to both and neither are great teams. To me, those are two losses that shouldn’t happen if we have improved. At least, not lose both of those games.

Despite that, my guy believes we are on the right track.

I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with a message board asking questions. I think it’s fair to ask, do all these stats mean much if we are still a 4 win team?

I’m sure I’m about to get blasted but I understand both sides and I get what Boston is saying, to some degree. I absolutely see the improvement and losing Babers is the worst possible thing that could happen IMO. I don’t think this program could handle another coaching change that would bring in a whole new philosophy without the players to run it. Before we hired Babers I was about to literally give up on the program when it looked like Ash could be hired.

I also understand the feeling that right now we are a flashy offense with lots of stats but a W/L record that is still what it is, bottom of the barrel. My fear is all of these close games are just that, close games that make us feel like we’re better despite the record showing we aren’t. If we are better, we have to win 1/2 games to either MTSU or FSU, we lost to both and neither are great teams. To me, those are two losses that shouldn’t happen if we have improved. At least, not lose both of those games.

I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with a message board asking questions. I think it’s fair to ask, do all these stats mean much if we are still a 4 win team?

It’s year 2 of a rebuild. If we’re still 4-8 in year 3 and 4, that’s different.

We’re much more competitive, we’ve actually beaten a great team that we wouldn’t have dreamed of beating the previous 15 years, recruiting is picking up.

Everything is looking up. That guy is just being dramatic, IMO.

Him predicting a loss to Wake while noting how many points they scored in a LOSS to ND, while dismissing all of our close losses tells me all I need to know about what he’s doing here.

Thanks. All I want is a clear-headed look at where we are, and some rational discussion.

We’re much more competitive, we’ve actually beaten a great team that we wouldn’t have dreamed of beating the previous 15 years, recruiting is picking up.

Him predicting a loss to Wake while noting how many points they scored in a LOSS to ND, while dismissing all of our close losses tells me all I need to know about what he’s doing here.
Look at the stats from Wake's game vs ND: 34 first downs, 587 total yards. Wolford was 28 for 45 and 331 yards. And this without their best offensive player. Yes, I am a bit nervous about this game. Can you provide some thoughts on how we will contain Wolford and beat Wake?

And I completely agree with this too. I had season tix, I sat through years of terrible teams. We’ve had some really really bad teams take the field. This team is nothing like that and I’m not inferring they are. I also like the staff despite not agreeing with some playcalling yesterday. But if it was so easy to coach and call plays, everyone would be doing it for a job. So I realize I’m just a fan being a fan and don’t have any answers.

Look at the stats from Wake's game vs ND: 34 first downs, 587 total yards. Wolford was 28 for 45 and 331 yards. And this without their best offensive player. Yes, I am a bit nervous about this game. Can you provide some thoughts on how we will contain Wolford and beat Wake?

So what? We beat Clemson. That’s more impressive than losing to ND. If we’re basing it on one game. Wake was down 31-10 at half to ND, beat Appalachian St by 1 and lost to FSU at home. I can cherry pick too.

Wake will be tough, especially if Eric isn’t 100%. We can win though.

So what? We beat Clemson. That’s more impressive than losing to ND. If we’re basing it on one game. Wake was down 31-10 at half to ND, beat Appalachian St by 1 and lost to FSU. I can cherry pick too.

Ok, I give you the comparisons. At least you acknowledge that it will be tough. But, HOW do we win? Blitz more than we did yesterday? I don't recall seeing many effective blitzes. Don't know how much of a threat Wolford is running.

What I prove, time and again, is that criticism of the program is not welcome on this board.

There is way too much Dino-love here that is not supported by results on the field. Yes, it is wonderful that the defense has improved, yes the offense is better than it was. But, what difference does it make if other teams still find ways to beat us?

The schedule is so hard? It will be more or less the same every year because we have Louisville, Clemson & FSU in our division. Not changing anytime soon. Out of conference games? Other than LSU, who did we play that was really good?

It takes time! How much time? All I am hoping for is 6 wins & 6 losses in year two. A .500 record, THAT IS ALL. That WOULD be a clear, unmistakable, quantifiably documented signal of improvement. Unfortunately, we have remaining on the schedule a Wake team that put up 34 points on ND (yes, I know, much of that in 2nd half garbage time), Louisville with a 1st round draft pick QB at home (but, fortunately with little that resembles a defense), and a resurgent BC that crushed, I mean demolished FSU. How realistic is this looking to you?

Improvement must come. When you and others take the orange-colored glasses off and think about it, you know darn well that if there isn't improvement on the field in terms of wins and losses (and you know that in the end that is all that counts), the administration will be forced to rethink the situation. I DO NOT want this to happen. I want Dino to succeed. And 6 wins 6 losses is the next step on the road to success.

B. Belichick: "We're on to Wake (sic)"
Criticism is welcome. Plain stupidity however, will be mocked.

Ok, I give you the comparisons. At least you acknowledge that it will be tough. But, HOW do we win? Blitz more than we did yesterday? I don't recall seeing many effective blitzes. Don't know how much of a threat Wolford is running.

I actually thought we did a decent job creating pressure, we hit their QB numerous times and forced him to move a lot. FSU did a great job countering that and making it look less effective with the success of their run game.

But Wolford is a different QB and I’m not sure what the game plan will be. I’m hoping we don’t play conservative at the line and give him all sorts of time to throw and feel comfortable.

So what? We beat Clemson. That’s more impressive than losing to ND. If we’re basing it on one game. Wake was down 31-10 at half to ND, beat Appalachian St by 1 and lost to FSU at home. I can cherry pick too.

Wait they lost to that high school level FSU team? At home?! I assume Wake fans probably wanted Clawson fired right after that debacle?

If Eric plays we win

Wait they lost to that high school level FSU team? At home?! I assume Wake fans probably wanted Clawson fired right after that debacle?

If Eric plays we win

The inconsistency in logic is nuts. We are in trouble because we’ve lost a lot of close games, but Wake is good because they scored a lot of garbage time points against ND to make the score look respectable.

Thanks. All I want is a clear-headed look at where we are, and some rational discussion.
Here is the most clear headed response you will get.
This team, and this program are improving from the Shafer era. We aren't getting blown out, we are real competition vs. ranked teams, and have even proven we can beat the best when we play our best.
Under Babers, our offensive numbers have exploded. We are not matching the scoring to the yardage. More on that in a minute. Defensively, we have improved dramatically.
Now, I think a big reason our offense hasn't translated into points, and more wins, is because we sputter out in the redzone. We rack up yards, but once inside the 20 or the 10, we fizzle out. Why? Well, I'm guessing that having no traditional running threat is a big factor. When all 22 players are packed in that tight, and you are no threat to run the ball, it severely limits your play calling. There are not a lot of things Dino is probably comfortable running in the red zone. It's probably why we get some head scratching play calls in the red zone. Having a true endzone target would help too. Ishmael has been that he's for us, but he's not an ideal "chuck it up high in the back corner" wr threat. Would be nice if our 6'5" Custis could be that guy, but he isn't.
This all leads to "Give it time". It sounds so cliche', but it's said for a reason. Allow Babers to get his recruits, that he selected, for this offense, to get in and make a difference. Also, realize that Babers guys, playing as freshman, will likely be ineffective, until they've had some time (more than 1 year), to adjust to the huge step up in competition compared to high school, and put on the strength, and learn what it takes to play at this level.
To me, that Babers has made this team a threat to beat literally anybody using what is considered bottom 3-4 in terms of talent in the ACC, in just his second year is nothing short of a miracle, and leaves me feeling hopeful.

Here is the most clear headed response you will get.
This team, and this program are improving from the Shafer era. We aren't getting blown out, we are real competition vs. ranked teams, and have even proven we can beat the best when we play our best.
Under Babers, our offensive numbers have exploded. We are not matching the scoring to the yardage. More on that in a minute. Defensively, we have improved dramatically.
Now, I think a big reason our offense hasn't translated into points, and more wins, is because we sputter out in the redzone. We rack up yards, but once inside the 20 or the 10, we fizzle out. Why? Well, I'm guessing that having no traditional running threat is a big factor. When all 22 players are packed in that tight, and you are no threat to run the ball, it severely limits your play calling. There are not a lot of things Dino is probably comfortable running in the red zone. It's probably why we get some head scratching play calls in the red zone. Having a true endzone target would help too. Ishmael has been that he's for us, but he's not an ideal "chuck it up high in the back corner" wr threat. Would be nice if our 6'5" Custis could be that guy, but he isn't.
This all leads to "Give it time". It sounds so cliche', but it's said for a reason. Allow Babers to get his recruits, that he selected, for this offense, to get in and make a difference. Also, realize that Babers guys, playing as freshman, will likely be ineffective, until they've had some time (more than 1 year), to adjust to the huge step up in competition compared to high school, and put on the strength, and learn what it takes to play at this level.
To me, that Babers has made this team a threat to beat literally anybody using what is considered bottom 3-4 in terms of talent in the ACC, in just his second year is nothing short of a miracle, and leaves me feeling hopeful.
I get that point of view and the logic behind it. Too often, it's just useless cheerleading (which your post is not).

The Wake game will close, and we could possibly lose. But saying we can't beat them in the dome based on Wake scoring points in a losing effort to ND is absurd.

Wake lost to Florida State too. At home.

There are many posters here who promised that if the old coaching staff was dispatched and a new competent one was hired, this team had the talent to win and make bowls immediately. They relentlessly bashed SS for moral victories and making excuses and yet apologize for the current coach doing the same.

There are many posters here who promised that if the old coaching staff was dispatched and a new competent one was hired, this team had the talent to win and make bowls immediately. They relentlessly bashed SS for moral victories and making excuses and yet apologize for the current coach doing the same.
Shafer isn’t a HC.
Babers is.
Shafer should have never been given the job. He ruined the program.
Babers is rehabing program.

Coach Lock ‘em up was an easy win for all the programs outside of Wake and BC.

We upgraded.
Dino screwed up yesterday I will still take his program over blue collared not a HC Shafer.