"You are What Your Record Says You Are" B. Parcells | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

"You are What Your Record Says You Are" B. Parcells

Shafer isn’t a HC.
Babers is.
Shafer should have never been given the job. He ruined the program.
Babers is rehabing program.

Coach Lock ‘em up was an easy win for all the programs outside of Wake and BC.

We upgraded.
Dino screwed up yesterday I will still take his program over blue collared not a HC Shafer.
A coach like SS has to be grown. A coach like to Dino is much more developed in his career.

F20B6132-B1DA-44D4-B7A2-E7CA555378DE.jpeg

Shafer isn’t a HC.
Babers is.
Shafer should have never been given the job. He ruined the program.
Babers is rehabing program.

Coach Lock ‘em up was an easy win for all the programs outside of Wake and BC.

We upgraded.
Dino screwed up yesterday I will still take his program over blue collared not a HC Shafer.
In fairness to SS, he lost QB's at a ridiculous rate. We saw yesterday how we would fare without Eric. Not very good.

Ok, I give you the comparisons. At least you acknowledge that it will be tough. But, HOW do we win? Blitz more than we did yesterday? I don't recall seeing many effective blitzes. Don't know how much of a threat Wolford is running.

FSU had 19 pass attempts, SU had 4 hurries and had 3 sacks. So on 22 called passes that can be determined from the box score SU had pressure at least 1/3 of the time.

FSU had 9 pressures against 55 attempts and 3 sacks.

As for how the defense did overall, 168 of FSU's 343 yds came on three plays. Does Wake have a running back like Akers?

There are many posters here who promised that if the old coaching staff was dispatched and a new competent one was hired, this team had the talent to win and make bowls immediately. They relentlessly bashed SS for moral victories and making excuses and yet apologize for the current coach doing the same.

1. Who claimed that, especially because of how far down he took the program.

2. I wasn't aware they had been eliminated from bowl eligibility.

Shafer was a bad HC. Period.

Many all knowing people claimed that, I'm not naming names. Hopefully a bowl this year, not a certainty. Addazio was a bad coach until he got a good QB and Jimbo was a genius coach until he lost his starting QB and had to rely on a frosh. ( Who was supposed to be one of the best QB recruits in the country).

I have a longer orange perspective than most. There is concrete reason for optimism but you cannot take optimism to the bank. Only time will tell. We will bring in some good players next year but we will also lose some important players.
It basically comes down to recruiting and that depends on a number of factors including facilities; and enthusiasm and image largely determined by the HC. If we are to rise from the swamp, this is our best chance. For the first time in a long while I am hopeful. However, our success is not guaranteed.

What I prove, time and again, is that criticism of the program is not welcome on this board.

There is way too much Dino-love here that is not supported by results on the field. Yes, it is wonderful that the defense has improved, yes the offense is better than it was. But, what difference does it make if other teams still find ways to beat us?

The schedule is so hard? It will be more or less the same every year because we have Louisville, Clemson & FSU in our division. Not changing anytime soon. Out of conference games? Other than LSU, who did we play that was really good?

It takes time! How much time? All I am hoping for is 6 wins & 6 losses in year two. A .500 record, THAT IS ALL. That WOULD be a clear, unmistakable, quantifiably documented signal of improvement. Unfortunately, we have remaining on the schedule a Wake team that put up 34 points on ND (yes, I know, much of that in 2nd half garbage time), Louisville with a 1st round draft pick QB at home (but, fortunately with little that resembles a defense), and a resurgent BC that crushed, I mean demolished FSU. How realistic is this looking to you?

Improvement must come. When you and others take the orange-colored glasses off and think about it, you know darn well that if there isn't improvement on the field in terms of wins and losses (and you know that in the end that is all that counts), the administration will be forced to rethink the situation. I DO NOT want this to happen. I want Dino to succeed. And 6 wins 6 losses is the next step on the road to success.

B. Belichick: "We're on to Wake (sic)"

Other than at LSU, that's pretty funny.

There are many posters here who promised that if the old coaching staff was dispatched and a new competent one was hired, this team had the talent to win and make bowls immediately. They relentlessly bashed SS for moral victories and making excuses and yet apologize for the current coach doing the same.

Not really - the knock on Shafer was that his recruiting was pretty bad for an ACC program, like his in game management.

The guy was completely in over his head.

FSU had 19 pass attempts, SU had 4 hurries and had 3 sacks. So on 22 called passes that can be determined from the box score SU had pressure at least 1/3 of the time.

FSU had 9 pressures against 55 attempts and 3 sacks.

As for how the defense did overall, 168 of FSU's 343 yds came on three plays. Does Wake have a running back like Akers?
I recall they have a running back that is the physical embodiment of white athlete stereotypes.

I'm not joking.

We had a shot at a bowl last year until Dungey got hurt. We are very much in the bowl hunt this year. 3 games left that are all possible wins.

We had moral victories under Shafer? Not very many. I remember a lot of blowout losses. We’re way more competitive on a weekly basis now.

The current coach has better wins than Shafer ever had, and has the team playing more consistently competitive football than Shafer ever did.

Shafer took over a bowl team and the team got worse every year. Babers took over a very bad team and has made it better every year.

You can’t be serious.

Many all knowing people claimed that, I'm not naming names. Hopefully a bowl this year, not a certainty. Addazio was a bad coach until he got a good QB and Jimbo was a genius coach until he lost his starting QB and had to rely on a frosh. ( Who was supposed to be one of the best QB recruits in the country).
I don't remember anyone claiming that we had the talent to go to bowl games immediately. We certainly did not. All of this hand wringing after a loss of 3 pts at FSU is a bit strange. The main premise is that at 4-5 we are no better than last years 4-8. Shouldn't we wait until we finish at 4-8 before we claim this? I do remember one person guaranteeing that UMass would win how many games this year and go to a bowl game. Let the bidding between P-5 leagues begin!

Last year we lost to FSU 45-14. Lost to Clemson 54-0. Lost to Louisville 62-28. Lost to USF 45-20. Gave up 76 to Pitt. Gave up 50 to ND.

Some of you are intentionally being blind to the improvement. Continued improvement will lead to more wins.

Agendas.

Should you be THE poster calling out others for making outrageous claims?

I don't remember anyone claiming that we had the talent to go to bowl games immediately. We certainly did not. All of this hand wringing after a loss of 3 pts at FSU is a bit strange. The main premise is that at 4-5 we are no better than last years 4-8. Shouldn't we wait until we finish at 4-8 before we claim this? I do remember one person guaranteeing that UMass would win how many games this year and go to a bowl game. Let the bidding between P-5 leagues begin!
They, UMASS, are not that bad, coming from almost nothing. I believe I was the only poster here saying it would take Babers some time, though I don't feel impelled to look through old threads to footnote this. I wasn't making it sound like a magic wand could be waved and everything would change, as others were

Not really - the knock on Shafer was that his recruiting was pretty bad for an ACC program, like his in game management.

It is hard to recruit in your second year when people are calling for your firing. Most of the best players on this team are previous staff recruits. And many of them are very fine young men.

Not really disagreeing with anything you stated. But, playing devils advocate relative to recruiting, aren't the guys we have playing significant roles for Dino in year 2 still mostly Shafer guys? Dino has only gone through really one recruiting period that was solely his own. I don't see many/any true freshmen on the field. So, how bad are these Shafer recruits? Babers undoubtedly has coached many of these guys up...

I used to love to listen to sports talk growing up. Now I listen to a few minutes on the drive to work and the drive home and that's it. People call in who just think they are brilliant, and they are...not.

Outside of this forum I rarely talk sports with anybody. It seems like every time I do about 5 seconds in and they start talking I immediately regret talking sports with them.

Sports talk is even worse, so many simple minds call into these shows (there are some good ones) and you wonder how they even dialed a phone.

Should you be THE poster calling out others for making outrageous claims?
My spurious and outrageous claims are never directed against a player, coach or the program.

1. Absolutely agree that the AD should not do anything after this year. But, if the record is 4w 8l again, then you have to have a performance review that unambiguously provides feedback and puts out milestones for coming years. I can't imagine that wouldn't happen as it is standard practice in any organization.

2. Speculation on what Scott Frost's record would be is just that, speculation. I could say that he might have beaten a crappy Middle Tennessee team and been one win closer to the mark, but that is just useless speculation. I have no particular knowledge of or interest in Scott Frost.

I'm appauled that you are convinced that this
1. Absolutely agree that the AD should not do anything after this year. But, if the record is 4w 8l again, then you have to have a performance review that unambiguously provides feedback and puts out milestones for coming years. I can't imagine that wouldn't happen as it is standard practice in any organization.

2. Speculation on what Scott Frost's record would be is just that, speculation. I could say that he might have beaten a crappy Middle Tennessee team and been one win closer to the mark, but that is just useless speculation. I have no particular knowledge of or interest in Scott F

The reason I asked about Scott Frost was he is the coach everyone loves right now. Major schools are willing to pay major dollars to put their school's future in his hands. Given the talent and schedule what do you think Syracuse's record should be this year with coach that knows what he is doing? I have a particular interest in getting your views on what success is with this years team and schedule. I think that the kids are being coached up, playing close games that they wouldn't be in otherwise with a less effective leader. I feel as though you think differently. What record is acceptable for this years team with this schedule in your mind?

It is hard to recruit in your second year when people are calling for your firing. Most of the best players on this team are previous staff recruits. And many of them are very fine young men.
most of the current talent is at the top. we'll have to wait a season or two to see how dino's talent develops.

I recall they have a running back that is the physical embodiment of white athlete stereotypes.

I'm not joking.
If you are talking about Cade Carney he was injured in the Louisville game and required surgery. Don't think he will be back for the SU game. And Dortch is done for the season.

Shafers quarterbacks weren't the only reason we were losing games 40+ to single digits week in and week out. We were losing games before we even hit the field, we had zero chance in many of the games we played.